World Thousands Dead in Philippine Typhoon

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
20131110_PHILIPPINES_HTML-slide-OM36-articleLarge.jpg

MANILA — The powerful typhoon that swept across the Philippines on Friday, one of the strongest storms ever to make landfall, cut a path of destruction through several central islands, leaving the seaside city of Tacloban in ruins and leading to early, unconfirmed estimates of as many as 10,000 dead.

Wire reports quoted the city administrator of Tacloban suggesting that the death toll could reach 10,000 in his city alone. A police official gave an identical estimate, citing the governor of the area, who had spoken with officials in villages that had been hit, according to wire reports.

The government disaster agency said it could confirm only about 150 deaths so far from Typhoon Haiyan, although the president said he expected the number to rise significantly. The Red Cross in Manila said earlier on Saturday that its people on the ground were reporting an estimated 1,000 deaths on Leyte Island, where Tacloban is, and about 200 on the neighboring island of Samar.

“The local Red Cross chapter has seen many bodies,” Gwendolyn Pang, the secretary general of the Philippine Red Cross, said in a text message. “An actual body count has to be done to determine the exact number.”

The destruction, which has taken down phone service in many areas, made confirming any of the accounts difficult.

--- --- ---

:|

Last edited by a moderator:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Holy crap! These typhoons seems getting worse every year.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope. The media just shows more pictures of it every year.
Especially note:
[...] one of the strongest storms ever [...]
which makes it rather clear, that there have been far worse in the past.

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
We had the Signal No. 4 Typhoon too but it didn't end up like that.. The first landfall is definitely the worst!
EDIT: It's not in Manila, it's in Leyte.. I'm in Manila right now, and there's no storm here whatsoever..

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I've always wanted to be in a hurricane. Is it as fun as it seems?

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
We had the Signal No. 4 Typhoon too but it didn't end up like that.. The first landfall is definitely the worst!
EDIT: It's not in Manila, it's in Leyte.. I'm in Manila right now, and there's no storm here whatsoever..

The attribution means where it's being reported from, not necessarily where the subject is ha. So that specific writer is reporting as from Manila, but in the article he says it's on Leyte.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always wanted to be in a hurricane. Is it as fun as it seems?
I, too, wonder how it would feel to be blown away by wind. I have always been curious as to how such strong winds would actually feel to experience. Its literally incredible for me.

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
The attribution means where it's being reported from, not necessarily where the subject is ha. So that specific writer is reporting as from Manila, but in the article he says it's on Leyte.

Sorry I didn't notice.. Anyway, there are now approximately 10,000 reported dead in Tacloban, Leyte. People there are like zombies. They see you, they run into you like mad. You can't blame them though, our government here are 50% worthless. Relief goods got there after 3 days which means people were hungry for 3 whole days. I wish I could help.

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
There are videos where they eat already dead animals in the street :( poor people. Supplies haven't reach most of the population yet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.