Time for a new computer!

Ilendil

Most Respected Former Admin
Reaction score
Hey all... not a problem really, but its a kind of an issue as I play games.

I want to get a new pc that is good for playing FPS games.

My current pc's specs are:

Intel P2 266Mhz
Windows ME
224mb RAM
GeForce 2 MX-400
SB Live! Value

The only thing good in my pile of s*** computer (I don't like it anymore because I only get 30 fps average on Counter-Strike and everybody talks about how they get 99 constant!! wahh :eek:) I'm using right now is the geforce card... anyhow... can someone tell me an internet address or a store I can/should go to where I can buy some good PCs?

Oh and, P.S. Wargasm, if I can get a good enough comp to play War III and get familiar with the map editor, I can do the thing you asked in the staredit forum.

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
first question: do you want to buy a computer-in-a-box or do you want a custom system (either buy parts yourself, or select them and have someone else put it together)

if you want it premade and all the parts decided for you, maybe these (never tried this company): http://www.alienware.com/main/gaming_main.asp

They all seem decent although the "Grey" model has a crappyish video card by today's standards. They are pretty expensive though-- not sure how much you are looking to spend.

Ilendil

Reaction score
I'd rather have them pre-assembled... or computer-in-a-box :p, well I'll try that site you gave me.

Also, one question... which is better... Intel or AMD Athlon?

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
I'd go with AMD for gaming. Your computer looks good expect for the processor.

Ilendil

Reaction score
really? well... the processor hmm? I don't think I can... I have no idea how to install things into the comp except PCI/AGP cards :).

D

Darthtoast

It's really not too hard, and if it saves you a few hundred while you're at it, it's probably worth it. I just built mine and it was quick, painless and I'm happy with the results.

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
Intel P2 266Mhz - Outdated
224mb RAM - OK
GeForce 2 MX-400 - OK
SB Live! Value - OK

So as you can see, you only need to change your processor, which would probably require buying a new box and motherboard.
Is your ram recent ? You might have to change it too.

As for the the GeForce and sound card, I see no reason to change them for now.

Chile

The All Purpose Administrator
Reaction score
Yup

AMD have some really nice processors on the market for reasonable money. You should be able to find a decent system at a local shop.

I almost always buy my stuff locally. In the event of a hardware failure, it's always nice to have someone close at hand, even if they have to send it away.

D

Darthtoast

If you didn't go crazy on the motherboard, processor and ram (assuming you upgrade them) you could do it with $200-~250 or so.

Ilendil

Reaction score
I see... the ram fyi is like a year old or so... and the techie at the store said I can't put in more ram for some reason... is it because my motherboard/processor is outdated? Should I take the PC to the store and let the guys there install the box/processor and motherboard for me? and get more, new ram or is the ram I have enough?

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
if u want speed you go for intel :) all their 2.0 A or B cpu's and above are fast as hell .
b4 we have a little amd and intel discussion
i am pro amd myself
but right now amd cannot compete with the .13 micron cpu's of intel and we talking p4's here .
the 0.18 micron p4's are total crap and any amd whoops it's ass with it for a much cheaper price

u wanna go for the fastest amd go for an amd 2100 xp
cheap fast good
vid card depends on the budget those cheap gf4's are not so bad for that price

check out www.tigerdirect.com for some cheap combo's

Ilendil

Reaction score
Ok... I found a pretty good, cheap one at the www.tigerdirect.com site.

The direct link to this computer info is: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=TSA1-22-MHNP

It costs $1096.99, btw.

Features:

• Lightning-Fast CDRW for making your own music CDs and backing up your data
  • 512MB of memory for a true multi-tasking experience
  • 10/100 Network Interface Card for super-fast network connectivity
  • 32MB of video memory for vibrant gaming and photo viewing
  • Genuine Microsoft Windows XP Home Pre-Loaded
  • 6-Bay Case with 300 Watt Power Supply
  • 24 Hours a Day/7 Days a Week Toll-Free Technical Support
  • Premium One-Year Parts and Labor On-Site Limited Warranty
  • Monitor Sold Separately
Specifications:

• AMD Athlon 2200+* Processor with Heatsink
  • 512MB DDR Memory
  • 80GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
  • 16x DVD-3 w/Software
  • 24x10x40 CDRW
  • WHQld 56k v.90 Win Modem
  • Onboard Sound
  • ATI Xpert 2000 Pro 32MB Video
  • ATX Case with 300 Watt Power Supply
  • GA-7VTXE KT266 Motherboard
  • 1.44mb Floppy Drive
  • 10/100 NIC
  • Keyboard Pro 98 and PS/2 Scroll Mouse
  • Windows Xp Pro + Recovery
  • 3 piece CuBF with/Sub Speakers

*Actual Clock Speed is 1.80GHz

Manufactured by: Tiger by Systemax
Manufacturer Part No: 035950

The only bad thing about this it looks like is the vid card: ATI Xpert 2000 Pro 32MB Video... though I can switch it with my Geforce on this comp or buy a new Geforce card on this site (ehhe this site is cheap)... any advise? should I buy this?

Ilendil

Reaction score
errrmm... ok... I just read about in the other forums of how Athlon 2200XP's are complete pos and that the 2100 is better uhhh... ok... what should I get? it seems all the computers here are all 2200's or 1900's

G

Grimlock

You could build your own, I know you expressed reservations about it, but it really it easy, the only part you have to be careful with, is to make sure you don't bend the pins on the processor, but that still takes some effort.

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
and make sure you install the motherboard properly (grounding screws), and that you make sure the cpu fan is on properly -- those are the only things that could cause DAMAGE.

D

Darthtoast

The motherboard they listed is with the kt266 chipset, try to get something with the kt333 like the Abit Kx7333, GA GVRXP, Asus A7V333, etc.

Is the ram PC2700 or PC2100 (I'd assume 2100 seeing what motherboard they listed).

If you want this for games I'd try for a GF4 Ti something. 4200 is pretty good bang for the buck, and the difference between the 4400 and the 4600 isn't too much, you just have to decide if it's worth the extra money or not.

You might not be too happy with onboard sound. You might consider getting a little cheap sound blaster live! or maybe just try onboard sound for a bit and see how it is.

The 2200 is faster than the 2100 (not by a whole lot), I think people might not like it because it doesn't overclock like they want it to.

You might consider checking out www.newegg.com . They don't have premade computers (or maybe they do? I never saw any) but it's pretty cheap.

I got:
Abit KX7333, XP 1900+ Retail, 512MB PC2700, Abit Ti4600, Sound Blaster Live!, 10/100 NIC, Chieftec case, mouse, keyboard, Viewsonic G90f, 40gb WD 7200, floppy drive and 16x dvd drive for $1350.

Do you already have a monitor? That would save you a bunch right there, and if you dropped to the 4400 or the 4600 you could dump another 80-150 right there. Then add some for WinXp or whatever OS you want.

You'd have to put it all together yourself though, but it's really not hard. Just be careful when you do it.

G

Grimlock

I can't remember where I saw it, but there is a mobo with a really good onboard sound out there, I'll have a look for ya.

Ilendil

Reaction score
to Darthtoast: Yes I have a monitor... how the hell would I be posting in here right now then?

to Grimlock: that sounds pretty good, the only thing is, I have no idea what onboard sound is anyway :)

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
lol

--

onboard means it is built onto the motherboard-- usually good enough unless you are really into quality sound (in which case you'd better buy decent speakers too)

Ilendil

Reaction score
hmm though the offer here looks like it comes with speakers doesn't it?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.