Time Travel

Tonks

Reaction score
I was wondering what people's opinions were on time travelling?
I figure, if someone goes back in time to stop something bad from happening, and they succeed, then they elimate the need to go back in time to stop something bad from happening. But if they don't go back, then the bad thing happens, so they end up having to go back, and it repeating itself, thus creating an infinite loop of time-travelling and cancelling.

I've heard some interesting theories on it, though, and I'd like to hear what you all think.

InfectedWithDrew

I used to go here a lot.
Reaction score
Time travel is half impossible. You cannot travel back in time. Therefore, the past is done, you cannot change it. You can, however, travel into the future. I will explain how.

Travel faster than light. You see, the speed of light is the one true constant in the universe. If you were to travel faster than it, it would "speed up". Actually, time speeds up, but not for you. So if you were to run by a beam of light, going twice its speed, it would seem to you to be normal. But you would be traveling into the future.

So there you go. Figure out a way to travel faster than light and you can go forward in time.

Tonks

Reaction score
Time travel is half impossible. You cannot travel back in time. Therefore, the past is done, you cannot change it. You can, however, travel into the future. I will explain how.

Travel faster than light. You see, the speed of light is the one true constant in the universe. If you were to travel faster than it, it would "speed up". Actually, time speeds up, but not for you. So if you were to run by a beam of light, going twice its speed, it would seem to you to be normal. But you would be traveling into the future.

So there you go. Figure out a way to travel faster than light and you can go forward in time.

I was thinking in the theoretical realm. Such as is in movies like The 12 Monkeys, The Terminator, etc. where they have someone travel back in time to stop a crisis.

InfectedWithDrew

I used to go here a lot.
Reaction score
Oh. In that case, I would travel back in time to stop God from creating humans... I'd be all like- God, you know what's gonna happen if you do that. And He'll be all like- You're right. No humans.

And poof. The Earth becomes paradise and everyone is happy.

Tonks

Reaction score
Oh. In that case, I would travel back in time to stop God from creating humans... I'd be all like- God, you know what's gonna happen if you do that. And He'll be all like- You're right. No humans.

And poof. The Earth becomes paradise and everyone is happy.

Except, if he never created humans you wouldn't exist and you would never have gone back in time to stop him so he would have created humans anyway, in which case you would exist and you would go back and it would all repeat itself.

I'm not asking what you would do, I'm asking how you think it works.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Lets say i go back in time to stop Hitler.

I go back and stop him from starting WW2. Now my Grand farther doesn't come over from Europe and thus I'm never born. But Hitler is still dead and and everything but the whole future will change.

Ozzdog

Hopeless Toby Driver fan boy
Reaction score
Ya, it would end up being an infinite loop. For those who don't understand this, a simple example is displayed in the 3rd HaryPotter Movie "The prisoner of Azkaban".

If it was possible i wonder what would happen to your conciousness <-- (spelt wrong probably).

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
In most stories of Time Travel, you can't interact with the past, only watch. ;)

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Well thats only in corny disney movies.

Ozzdog said:
i wonder what would happen to your conciousness

If it was possible it would contradict religeon by "copying" your soul.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
If it was possible it would contradict religeon by "copying" your soul.

Your soul is pure energy, and you can't create or destroy energy.
You would be removed from your current state, and put back into the past.

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score

Chocobo said:
Time Travelling? Just go on a very high speed (almost 100,000 miles/s) and the time will be ~40 times faster than yours. You will go on 2020 for you only but here, it will be 3000.

Why not just hop on a plane? Then you can travel forward and back in time. :p

Ozzdog

Reaction score

If that is true, your consciousness and soul would be trapped in a small space of time, but you would never be aware of it.

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
There is no way to travel faster than light. And probably, never will be.

Any messing with time in the past would be disasterous. One little change and the whole future might alter in ridiculous ways. This theory is known as.........
*Drumroll*
Cause and effect.

The only way to time travel is speed and currently, it's impossible to achieve a speed where time alters in any important way.

Umm, there is no proof that souls even exist and therefore, there cannot be even a little speculation of what they are made of.

Ya, it would end up being an infinite loop. For those who don't understand this, a simple example is displayed in the 3rd HaryPotter Movie "The prisoner of Azkaban".

That wasn't an infinite loop. They continued with their lives. If it was, in fact, an infinite loop, why aren't they there every day, even a year later. Somebody was bound to notice kids disappearing and reappearing every hour.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
With the "travel forward" part of time travel the solution is extremely easy:
Just wait, suddenly you will be hours (or seconds, it depends on how long you wait) in the future, from the beginning point of view. The hard part is to not travel or to travel faster, but I've heard that having 'fun' can increase the time travel speed.

Ozzdog

Reaction score
That wasn't an infinite loop. They continued with their lives. If it was, in fact, an infinite loop, why aren't they there every day, even a year later. Somebody was bound to notice kids disappearing and reappearing every hour.

Yes it is an infinite loop. We'll call the harry who you first see trvel in movie #1. #1 travels back in time and saves Harry #2. Then #2 Has to go back and Save #3. Then #3 has to go back and save #4. And it goes on for infinity.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
It's either not possible, or it's not going to happen. If anyone travelled back in time, it would change something, and then then the "past" version of the person would not know that something needed to be changed, since it has always been that way for him/her.

Even if it was possible, the current reality would be one in that when anyone discovers time travel, it will never be used to change anything, because all of our future selves will have already changed it into a way so that noone will ever change it again. (Otherwise it will be constantly changing).

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Yes but if our future selves have changed it, it means that when we reach the future we Will go back and change it, there is no choice since it has already happened. If ey ever discover time travel im sure they will never allow it to happen, it could cause the universe to end for all we know.

Off topic: THis should give you guys something to think about:

If your driving in a car travelling at the speed of light (its a cool car), and you turn on your headlights, what would happen?

E

Eilhal

You can create and destroy energy though:p
All you have to do is change it's form. You have to make energy change into to matter, once it becomes matter it is no longer energy and therefore you have destroyed the energy, and made matter another "impossible" feat.

Remember E=mc^2? Do you know what it means?

Energy equals Matter times the speed of light squared

FYI: C represents the speed of light because it is the only true constant and c for constant

If you take 2 protons and 2 neutrons and weigh them separately, you will find that they contain a certain amount of mass. However, if you then take those four particles and combine them to create a helium nucleus, you will find that the helium nucleus contains a tiny bit less mass than the four particles did when they were separated. This miniscule amount of missing mass was converted into energy when the particles were combined.

If you don't believe me then look at this website where I got the preceding paragraph.
(http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/18750)

So technically the creating of a soul would be possible in theory... all you would have to do is lose a very small amount of mass and it would give you a VERY large amount of pure energy.

I also agree with whoever said we can't even prove the existence of souls so why talk about what they are made of though... I just like to prove people wrong lol

Apostle O

Reaction score
Allow me to shed some theoretical views on this of my own conjuring. Imagine time. The way that everyone in this thread has described time travel would lead me to believe that you all follow the time-line model of time. That is to say that time flows in a line from point A, being the start of time, to point b, being the end of time. Instead, let's look at time like a ripple. At the start of time, imagine there being one electron, one neutron, and one proton. Now, each of these particles could move in any direction, at any speed, and interact in any way that they like. So, from here, we already have an infinite number of possible time streams. Now, scientists have been able to isolate these particles before, and observe them. At times, it is impossible to detect the particle at all, and at other, the particle is in two places at once. It isn't that the particle split, it is that the particle is in two places at the same time. That shows that such subatomic particles can possibly move through other dimensions than we currently know of. That being said, is it too far of a stretch to assume that a particle can move in the timestream? So, imagine that one of the particles, after even one nanosecond, moves back in the time stream to the beginning. Now the beginning of time has two electrons, one proton, and one neutron. This process could continue for seemingly no passed time, and now we have an entire, ever-expanding universe, made from the exact-same particles.

So, moving forward an immeasurable amount of time to where we are now, imagine where we are in the time ripple. We are so far from the center, that the surface area of this imagined sphere would be unthinkably large. So, consider what the difference would be between say, here, and one "inch" over on this time ripple. The difference could be nothing more than the motion of one atom. With this nigh infinitly complex model of time, it is easy to imagine time travel. If one travels in time, one is simply moving to a different position in the ripple. So, your actions will have no effect on you, because you are not defined by the past; you are defined by the present. The time ripple ahead of you will change, but you will still exist exactly as you are. Why? You are no different than that single electron, except that there are a lot more of you.

Time travel is possible.

-Apostle O

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.