Reaction score
:eek:
when did you add this one?
didn't know you updated it to have period
anyway good to know and sorry about the out of line question

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
what Doom suggested is exactly what i said above - and again - just above I answered Dooms question...wtf indeed

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
Just happened to glance over at this thread to see how TT is going...

Why are people telling Cohadar to make Timer Ticker do exactly what Key Timers 2 does? There would be no point in having the two different systems...

And he's right. The modulo thing would be a pretty nasty interface to use. Specifying the period would be OK but have invisible restrictions to the user.

And that's pretty impressive about ABCT. :D
Well done.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
You don't think it's alright to have multiple systems accomplishing the same task? Look at all the timer attachment systems, the timed effect systems, the damage detection systems... *fans hand across the horizon*

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
There should be a reason, for example, a significant advantage in the different implementation method. In this case, there would not be. The idea is to cut down on the number of redundant systems, isn't it?

This is really a redundant discussion anyway...
After thinking this thoroughly I concluded that small performance benefit in some special cases is not worth of bloathing the system interface.
TT stays the way it is.
Not to mention that that small performance benefit in special cases would cause a performance loss in every other situation.

Cohadar

master of fugue
Reaction score
Why are people telling Cohadar to make Timer Ticker do exactly what Key Timers 2 does?

I guess for the same reason you are not limiting the KT2 functionality to lower periods.

Some people always try to use hammer on a screw.
(or to screw down a nail...)

emjlr3

Reaction score
I personally like TT, but for anything that isnt done on my .04 interval (unless I were to run a modulo at my end), I need new timers - I was trying to see if Cohadar could avoid that

a .05 interval would work well - .25, .05 and 1. are good intervals to use, (.05 really being uneeded though with something like .03 or .04) - more often then not if you want to use .66 - .65 will work just as well

call TTI_Start(struct, .5, function Blurg)

would run my guy every .5, in your .05 interval timer

call TTIStart(struct,.76, function Blurg)

shit I either botched my code or really want it to run every .76 - either way, TT figures this out, and rounds it down to .75 anyways, so it runs every .75

I like it

intervals from .1-1. would be ideal (at .05 intervals), anything about 1. isn't worth it

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
I guess for the same reason you are not limiting the KT2 functionality to lower periods.

Some people always try to use hammer on a screw.
(or to screw down a nail...)
Well said. :)
I think with the lower periods thing I just see it a little differently... It's valid to say they should be restricted, and valid to say they shouldn't (as long as it's documented well). But let's not talk about that again here. XD

emjlr3, I'm very confused as to why you would want to remove TT's nice interface and make it less efficient instead of using KT2 if you really want multi-period, multi-instance, as it is designed to do exactly that from the ground up.

The plus of that suggestion with the modulo, btw, is that it would fire the first procurement at the wrong time. Just in case no one thought of that. It would be... like a real timer system! :p (LOL)
(Of course, the period may be incorrect, as mentioned. In fact, the likelihood of the period being wrong is based on the modifications made to the period in each individual map. Lol?)

Ahh... It's all starting to sound like nasty hack-jobs... XD

emjlr3

Reaction score
maybe ill make my own (^^) for my own personal use :) - even if its not faster its ease of use I am concerned with - as Cohadar said, I've never seen a map suffer more from inefficiency then from shear suckyness

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
Lol, I nearly suggested that as a joke, but was worried you may get the idea in your head and go do it. Turns out I didn't need to. :D

Hey, that's fine... But I still don't see why not use KT2, which will do exactly what you want it to do, but fast.

Or just use ABCT or something, if you don't care about speed anyway, if you must get the first period expiration firing correctly.

<_<

So many options... :confused:

I mean... TT even has ABCT in it now too...

But hey, if it's just for personal use, why not write your own. XD

Cohadar

master of fugue
Reaction score
But hey, if it's just for personal use, why not write your own. XD

Because there are more wc3 timer systems than wc3 good maps.

So my suggestion is: make a good map, and than if by some chance it suffers from non optimal timer system I will go to the Shiboku mountain to the great master Wu and ask him to train me for 10 more years after which time I will be able to make ultimate timer system that I will inserted into your map after which since I will have no more reason to live I will commit ritual suicide by meditating myself into the state of death.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
I'm just using the simplest form of TT without all the extras you recently added, but with a slight modification.

In case you're interested.
JASS:
public function Start takes trigger whichTrigger, integer data returns nothing

JASS:
private function HF_Handler takes nothing returns nothing
    local integer i = HF_Counter
    loop
        exitwhen i&lt;=0
        set Data = HF_Dataz<i>
        if TriggerEvaluate(HF_Triggz<i>) then
            set HF_Triggz<i> = HF_Triggz[HF_Counter]
            set HF_Dataz<i> = HF_Dataz[HF_Counter]
            set HF_Counter = HF_Counter - 1
        endif
        set i = i - 1
    endloop
endfunction</i></i></i></i>

I've left out the obvious. It might not be as user friendly as you want, but it eliminates the need for swap and ClearConditions(). The user is required to create a trigger with no events, and add a condition to it. After that, the use is the same.

Cohadar

master of fugue
Reaction score
That is rather silly because the performance benefit is 0.5%
ClearConditions is almost as fast as I2H.

PS: you could hire Jesus4Lyf to do you a benchmark :D

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
That is rather silly because the performance benefit is 0.5%
ClearConditions is almost as fast as I2H.

PS: you could hire Jesus4Lyf to do you a benchmark :D

I don't really care about benchmarking it, but would do it myself if I did. It's less computation which isn't a bad idea when dealing with code being executed as often as this.

In any case, I just thought I'd mention it. Ultimately it's your system, and you do with it as you seem fit.

Cohadar

master of fugue
Reaction score
Most people don't realize that timer system overhead is almost non-existent when compared with stuff that they put in their timer spells.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Most people don't realize that timer system overhead is almost non-existent when compared with stuff that they put in their timer spells.

[del]Stupid people like me you mean?[/del]

Edit: Sorry, this was a lame comment by me.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
I fail to see how you optimized TT at all, there.

Honestly. Didn't you only speed up removing instances?

And only by a few nanoseconds?

:nuts:

>PS: you could hire Jesus4Lyf to do you a benchmark

Haha... Was wondering if I'd get a reputation for that. :D

(PS. Cohadar's suggestion - right on. XD)

Remember kids, TT can already fire over 30,000 times a second. I'm curious as to why people are suddenly making their own timer systems as well, or mutated versions. Like... I thought between TT and KT2 we had everything clearly covered.

By the way, if you really want to get rid of that swap, use linked lists like KT2. But I will call you a silly head.

YEW SILLY HEAD!

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
By the way, if you really want to get rid of that swap, use linked lists like KT2. But I will call you a silly head.

YEW SILLY HEAD!

I don't have a great desire to remove the swap. It's just a tiny bit of optimization where there is barely any code to begin with. Using linked list would add more overhead than TT has, so I don't see why you suggest that.

Cohadar is absolutely right that "overhead is almost non-existent when compared with stuff that they put in their timer spells.", so this optimization is clearly not noticeable with the usual usage of TT. You could even add stuff, or use linked lists if you so wanted, and it wouldn't be noticeable.

Even so, it's faster but less user friendly. TT puts ease of use over this unimportant optimization, which is very understandable. I was just putting it out there. Stop with the name calling.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.