Tips of Poetry

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Tips of Poetry

1. Don't Force yourself to Write it won't work out
  2. Let your Pen Talk
  3. Pick a Topic you know about (Like Feelings or Nature)
  4. Don't Worry about Grammar or Spelling those can always be fixed
  5. Do something Related to your Topic
  6. Poems Don't have to Rhyme if you don't Rhyme its called a Free Verse
  7. Poem is Writers Freedom so don't feel worried about rules
  8. Haiku and a few other poems have rules to apply and make sure read a tutorial on them
  9. It's not a poem if it has no rhythm

Hope these help anyone because these have helped me at many times in the past :D

I am also adding more soon if anyone suggest any of them

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
When writing tips, always use proper grammer... That is a tip about writing tips, I guess.

Also, the one about "listening to music about the topic," that's not necessarily helpful to everyone. That doesn't work for everyone. I know a few people that have to have utter silence in order to write their poetry.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
How about:

Read a Shake Spear book or any poem books to get inspired

DM Cross

Reaction score
Again. Depends on the person. Inspiration is tricky because, like a person's personality, they are unique to the individual. I know that I personally used to write my poetry during the more depressing years of my life, even if it was a "happy" poem. Even the love poems I wrote at the time were written when I was overcome with some kind of emotion.

That's what makes any kind of writing "tips" hard when you're talkin' about inspiration or content. You can give tips on grammer, spelling or technique, but never the "personality" of the writing, if you will. I cannot teach someone to write like I write.

I can teach someone to mimic my technique in the sense that I use certain words for certain things, however. I tend to prefer the word "shout" over "scream" because scream, to me, expresses senseless rage, a lack of control over yourself while shout, to me again, expresses frustration, a concentrated and targeted emotion.

S'all very complicated o_O

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Well its like trying to write a book about love and you haven't read any love stories at all. Well I guess it also depends on the person. :rolleyes:

DM Cross

Reaction score
If you're inspired, though... You shouldn't have to research it. Poetry and most forms of writing are not something you can "research" and become great at. They can be researched and you can analyze everything to death and be a pain in the rump to everyone else who's ever written anything creative and personal, sure. But they cannot be learned through research. You simply either do it or you don't do it.

Take, for example, my novel writing. I was inspired to write Corruption at times, and at times, I was able to write a new chapter every week or so, in a simple 3 hours. Then I cooled down and next week, BAM! Another chapter.

Now, I am not so inspired to write the next book, Re-Birth. Tried to write the first chapter. Hated it, need to re-write it. Don't really feel like it. Not very inspired...

See? I can't just DO it, I gotta feel inspired. No one could write the book for me, either, no matter how much they researched and analyzed my writing and ideas. You cannot, let me repeat that:

YOU CAN NOT TEACH INSPIRATION!

Zakyath

Reaction score
I always get ideas if I walk around in the forest in the night :)

I write it all down when I'm home and while listen to music I try to make some sense to it all

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll Change it

New Tip: Do something Related to your topic

@Seth
I know you understand poetry
but Grammar and Spelling can always be fixed later so I don't worry about that before I lose the Thought

But Thanks for the comments

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Sure poems don't need rhyming, but if they don't rhyme and the rhythm sucks then it will be a total disaster no matter WHAT it says. So please, mention there needs to be a rhythm scheme, or else it won't flow right and sound ridiculous >_<

DM Cross

Reaction score
@Seth
I know you understand poetry
but Grammar and Spelling can always be fixed later so I don't worry about that before I lose the Thought

I didn't mean the grammar and spelling of the poem. I meant YOUR grammar and spelling in giving tips. Your first post needs to be re-written properly to be taken seriously.

Sure poems don't need rhyming, but if they don't rhyme and the rhythm sucks then it will be a total disaster no matter WHAT it says. So please, mention there needs to be a rhythm scheme, or else it won't flow right and sound ridiculous >_<

100% wrong. How old are you, again? Cause ya can't possibly be that old... Well, let's say you can't be that wise if you believe what you just said :)

Poetry does not need to rhyme and those that do not are not "ridiculous", as you so state. That doesn't mean anything goes, as sometimes, yes, poetry can be bad. But it is not bad BECAUSE it does not rhyme. Silly child.

Zakyath

Reaction score
No, it hasn't. They're discussing a thing that should be in the list... oh well, let's not make it more off topic than it is :)

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
lol Anyway...
Like I always say theres no Laws or rules in poetry so you can do what ever you want
so tips are kinda hard

DM Cross

Reaction score
You know, if you edit the grammar/capitilization problems of the first post, I can pin this, right along with the Writing Tips thread.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.