Titles Important, Yes, or No?

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I think titles are much of a summary of the story, and a point of view of the author. It can also be various things in the story, mostly foreshadowing the future for the reader.

What do you think about titles?

Arcane

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Very important, yet not so important at the same time.

Titles can serve as an attraction to certain readers - though some people would hardly care what the title is, as long as it isn't something like: "How to Screw a Dog" - or it can be a summary of the story as you said. But sometimes it's only a small thing in the book, (Example: LOTR: The Two Towers, HP: The Half Blood Prince) which readers might notice, but may not have to really pay attention to, but still have some sort of significance.

I usually just pick a title which sort of hints the importance of something in the story, or has something to do with the story, or, it may just sound cool to me. :cool:

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
I think they are important. I think they serve two purposes, the first of which applies before reading, and the second of which applies after reading:

1. To draw the reader in and make him/her interested in the story.
2. To give the plot a higher meaning on a grander scale.

A good title should be at least one of those; a great title should be both. :D

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
I think the title is not that important to the STORY, especially if its a sequel, but it can still help summarize the book or give clues or some such.

But from a selling/marketing point of view the title matters a ton because it can tell the genre of the book (the book cover/picture is also very important in this as well) and get you really interested and intrigued. And its kinda've like giving a name to your baby :nuts: , because it identifies it and all that stuff.

I always put a lot of thought into titles, because it affects everything on so many levels, especially as Ninva said can help foreshadow, which readers always love.

Krys A Night

Writer
Reaction score
Titles are important, for reasons that have been mentioned. Though if you are writing it, having a working title that you plan on changing when the story is more developed and you have a better idea of what you want the title to summarize, foreshadow, and the likes. Though coming up with a title and then building a story around it annoys me. Which is why I like to write it out first and then think of a title while i'm in the process of writing it.

Halahan

Reaction score
Like I've said before, it depends on what way you look at it. Marketing point of view, the cooler titles that seem to summarize the story the potential buyer is interested in is super important.
I just think that titles are important cause its like the name of a dog, a kid. You all know what im saying! ;)

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
For those who think titles are not important, perhaps you should reconsider.

A title isn't just a word or something not important. A title is a representation of your story.

Each book I plan on writing has a title that represents the story. Corruption, my near-finished book shows the "corruption" (dun dun cha!) of the characters and how they change. The change would normally be considered evil by social stereotypes, but in truth, they're just more free.

Get it?

Halahan

Reaction score
Ya, and there are (in my opinion) five types of titles.
1. A very broad summary; summarizing the entire novel or plot ex. "Along the Trail with Lewis and Clark"
2. Something small, or something that isn't hit upon till the end of book but still plays a somewhat vital role. ex. "THe Crown of Swords. (Part of Wheel of Time, where Rand (thE dragon reborn) conquers Illian and gets the crown at end of book. (ninth in series)
3. Describing a character, either main, small, antoganist, but even if very small still plays a vital role. ex. "The Thief Lord." or "The Giver."
4. An object or item that plays a vital role in the book, whether the center of attention or something that helps the character(s). ex. War of the Ancients, Warcraft, Book 2, "The Demon Soul." (Object of immense power that was made by the dragons to crush The Burning Legion but were Betrayed by Neltharion, leader of the Black dragon flight.)
5. Anything else that is either small or happens for a short period of time; Possibly the climax, a battle, or an iconic item. ex. "The Fall of Reach." (First book of Halo series, where the Covenant are discovered and start destroying humans and planets, Spartans try to stop, but at end (Climax) destroy Reach.

lol you dont know how long it took me to find those examples.(600 years)

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
I believe they're not. Titles should always be the last thing you do, which is why I always name papers like, stupid thing roflrofllol or something as a placeholder.

Halahan

Reaction score
Kinda :)confused:)
but in my summary, I usually go with # five, more or less, sometimes 3.

Z

Zelune

To me, titles are very important - they give me a taste of the author's writing style before I dive into the book.

For fantasy writers, a title can be the underlying theme of the story or a foreshadowing of what's to come. For humorous writers, a title can be something that just sounds funny or is obnoxiously long.

It really depends on what you're writing and your writing style, but you must also think about what readers will think when they see it.

For example, two fantasy books, one called "Zelune" and another called "Twilight of the Moon" (Twilight of the Moon is the story I am writing). Well, Zelune is the main character, but using character names for book titles is a bit boring and overused. It is a unique name, but not good enough to name a book that. Twilight of the Moon, however, alludes to the plot of my story in different ways (mostly talking about the sun elves holding dominance over the night elves). I think it is a good title, but perhaps the only problem is that "Twilight" is a bit overused in book titles.

Halahan

Reaction score
Too true.
But that was a good summary. I still like my list that I made, thought it mainly referrs to fantasy.

I

IKilledKEnny

Depends who you ask. For people that try to write up-class and feel important (... Me indeed :( ) a title can be everything. It could be an exiting whole twist to the story and make readers look at it very differently.

Mahucharn

I wear a fez now, fezzes are cool.
Reaction score
I think titles are important in some cases but others they don't matter to much,

1. Titles do give you a sense of what a book is about sometimes
2. If your reading a mystery book you don't want that, look at the cover and read the back of the book
3. Yes titles shape a story and I always do my titles at the ends of my storys that way I can pick one that fits.

Halahan

Reaction score
It can give either a feeling to the person, or hook them, or foreshadow, or just describe the book.

Its my BIRTHDAY

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.