Tooltip Layout

Earlenlajnen

Reaction score
This may be one of the most pathetic threads started but...

I need a new and cool tooltip layout for my spells in a map I am working on.
All spells will be affected by your stats and you will choose what stats you want to increase when your hero levels.
I do not want to use the usual WC3/DotA layout:
Thunderclap
Slams the ground, dealing 60 damage to nearby enemy land units
and slowing their movement by 50% and attack rate by 50%.

And I do not want to make a list tooltip:
Thunderclap
Target: AoE, Enemies
Effect: Attack rate and Movment speed reduced
Cooldown: 6 seconds

Description:
Slams the ground, dealing 60 damage to nearby enemy land units
and slowing their movement by 50% and attack rate by 50%.

I have seen a couple of really neat tooltips but I don't want to "steal" them.
Do you guys have any ideas/suggestions you want to share?
If a certain piece of the text should be in a different colour please specify where and what colour.

Xienoph

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Well, I personally use WC3's format for abilities (not upgrades) with the cooldown highlighted in lime green. Why don't you like WC3's format? Maybe that'll help people to give you what you want. Also, the number of levels might help. Give us your most complicated skill (the one with most stats and stat changes when upgraded) so we can try to make that one look nice.

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
I try to write my descriptions clear and streamlined, even with numbers.
If something needs more explaining, i put it on another line.
If there are really important numbers, like if they affect gameplay if they change, I'll list them.

Death Bolt
Clea fires a powerful arrow of concentrated shadow magic, dealing 100 magic damage
to units in a line and infecting them with Leeching Arrow.

Units already infected will take 150% of the damage.

Cast Range : 700
Cooldown : 6 seconds.

Earlenlajnen

Reaction score
Well, I personally use WC3's format for abilities (not upgrades) with the cooldown highlighted in lime green. Why don't you like WC3's format? Maybe that'll help people to give you what you want. Also, the number of levels might help. Give us your most complicated skill (the one with most stats and stat changes when upgraded) so we can try to make that one look nice.

Well my map is actually in the "might happen" phase right now so I dont have that many skills etc. Here is one of skills I want to create:
Affliction
The caster beshrews a terrible curse upon enemies in an area, causing them to take 50% increased damage for 20 seconds. Afflicted units will damage each other for 20 base damage plus Intelligence if they die.

And here is another one:
Self Combustion
The Paragon sets his armor on fire, damaging himself and all enemies around him. The bigger the difference in armor between the Paragon and the enemy, the greater is the damage caused. Deals 10 damage a second to the Paragon and 15 base damage plus 15 x Armor difference. If the enemy has greater armor then the Paragon he will not be damaged.

The reason I don't like the standard WC3 layout is that it so plain. No colours no nothing. ^^

Edit: I could always use 13lade619's idea if I can't come up with anything else.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.