Health Top Medical Myths Most People Believe

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
It is difficult to determine where some medical myths originate from, but many are old wives' tales passed on from generation to generation (Don't touch that toad, you'll get a wart!!). Here are some more common, often believed medical myths.

Myth: Drinking water keeps skin from drying out.

Truth: It seems obvious that water would help to hydrate the skin. However, if you wash your hands frequently they become dry and rough.

Water helps to hydrate and keep internal organs functioning, while application of moisturizer helps keep the external organ, skin, moisturized. Avoiding such things as hot showers, harsh deodorant soaps, and rubbing skin dry after bathing also helps to improve dry skin.

Myth: Shaved hair grows back coarser and darker.

Truth: Unfortunately for bald men, this is just an urban legend. Hair may appear to grow back faster, but it is just an illusion. New hair growth on clean-shaven skin is more noticeable than on a hairy surface.

When hair first grows in after being shaved, it has a blunt edge, which makes it seem thicker than it really is. This blunt edge gets worn after time. Emerging hair may look darker because it has not been bleached by the sun.

There are alternatives to shaving, such as waxing or using depilatories, which lasts longer than shaving. Laser hair removal is a more permanent solution.

Read the rest of them here.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I told my mom about these, and shes insisting that they're still true.
It's pissing me off, haha. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.