Torchlight

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
Torchlight is a great little game available for digital download (got mine off Steam) for just $20. Made by a variety of developers who have worked on games like Diablo, Diablo II, and Mythos.
http://www.torchlightgame.com/about/

The Premise:
As one of 3 Classes, you explore the town of Torchlight and the massive Ember mines that stretch below it. As you descend, the atmosphere and environment changes. While levels maintain a certain theme, each level is randomized, meaning different enemies, puzzles, and layouts in every play through.

KEY FEATURES:
* Randomization – Our level layouts are randomly created, so each adventure is unique. Monsters, treasures, puzzles, and items are also different each time you embark on an adventure.
* Easy, approachable interface – Torchlight is designed to be easy to play right from the beginning. The intuitive interface gives players easy access to a rich and varied world.
* Retirement System – Once characters are sufficiently leveled up, they can “retire” and bestow specific benefits and perks to new characters.
* Pets – Players will choose a pet to accompany them. Pets can level up along with the player, and will help in battle, carry items, and perform a variety of helpful services.
* Character Classes – Players will create and customize a character and choose an animal companion. Through cosmetic choices, skill path decisions, and the treasures they acquire, each character will be custom-tailored and different.
* Fishing – Players can take a break from the high-energy pace of adventuring to visit one of the fishing holes and relax and see what they can catch. Fish have interesting benefits for the player and pet, and other rewards can also be discovered
* Editor – Runic Games is embracing our modding community by providing an editor so our players can create and design their own content.

The game is on a somewhat small scale. Is it a mind-blowing experience? No. Is it fun? Yes, and it's cheap and only 300mb. Great if you're bored and don't want to shell out 50-60 bucks for a big title. It's polished, there really are no glaring flaws except for lack of content and depth, but what there is is fun and the combat is great.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Diablo for loners: the story behind indie-hit Torchlight

Creating a new entry in the world of Diablo-style loot-fests that sticks to single-player may seem mad in this day and age, but Torchlight from Runic Games manages to pull it off. We discuss where the game came from, where it's going, and why it deserves the buzz coming from all corners of the Internet.

Sometimes it seems like your friends list on Steam is completely taken over by a game, and right now PC gamers are enamored with a new, $20 take on the Diablo formula called Torchlight. This is a game with bright, attractive graphics, enough looting to satisfy fans of new equipment and weaponry, and... no multiplayer? Ars Technica caught up with Wonder Russell, the "Minister of Culture" for Runic Games, to explore what makes this game so special.

From the ashes...
The first question was a simple one: why ship a top-down loot fest such as Torchlight without multiplayer? The answer goes back to how Runic Games formed, and where the game is headed, along with an interesting culture at the developer that rewards playability. It starts with the closure of Flagship Studios, and the subsequent loss of all the IP that developer was working on. In the case of the team that would become Runic Games, they lost Mythos, a free-to-play MMO, right before it went into open beta.

"To lose a game you've worked on for years like that is heartbreaking, so first priority for us as a new team was simple: ship a game," Russell explained. The founders of the company had worked on both Diablo and Fate, so they knew this genre inside and out—it was a natural fit. Sticking to single-player meant that they could focus on one thing and deliver it with a high degree of polish.

Source.

Torchlight

Last edited:

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I have tried the demo just now, and I must say that the game looks really nice, very high quality graphics on my mid-range PC. Furthermore, the mechanics and animations are done real nice, and at times it's a real nukefest. However, after playing the game for 2 hours I got enough of it, it's too much of the same in my opinion.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.