Triggers Take Too Long

B

BKnight760

Okay, so my new level that I am making aparently has too many triggers or something. When I run the map, it sometimes takes up to a minute for it to finish processing all the qued tiggers. What can I do to fix this? I attached the map just in case you wanted to see what I mean...

Attachments

• circle of power defense.w3m
    80.8 KB · Views: 441
S

Swilo

Mayeb if I knew what a qued trigger is I could help.
Perhaps it's trying to do too much at once and your comp is getting bogged down?

B

BKnight760

Here's the deal...

I have several triggers that cue every 1.00 or 5.00 seconds... but the events that take place inside them take more than 1.00 or 5.00 seconds to complete. So by the time the trigger has finished, it has already cued the same trigger like 5 more times. So is there some way that i can make all my actions go faster?

S

Swilo

What are the actions? Some things like camera movements you can speed up.
I'm thinking you would simply have to increase the delay between triggers so that they don't overlap.

B

BKnight760

Ok, here is one such Trigger, that dosn't seem to run fast enough. I think that on its own, it might run fine, however, it runs with aproximately 34 other periodic time triggers and several other action triggers(10). So is it better to have a lot of action triggers rather than periodic time triggers?

Events
+Time - Every 5.00 seconds of game time

Conditions
+Wave = 1
+NumberOfAttackers = 0
+Wavestarted = 1

Actions
+Unit - Create ((number of players in (allies of player 1 [red]))xwave) Grunt for player 12 [brown] at center of [region1of8] facing center of playable map area
+ Next 7 actions are same as above, but for a different location on the map.

+Unit Group - order (Units owned by (player 12 [brown])) to move to (center of playable map area)
+Set NumberOfAttackers = (number of units in (units owned by player12 [brown])
+Set WaveStarted = 1

N

Neo_HoJo

Ah yes, I have had this problem before. The solution is simple. You need to combine your triggers. When you have 2 triggers that fire every 3 seconds, or so, instead make them one trigger. This will help your map think. Also, with your waves, instead of doing Time-Periodic, You need to do either Time-elapsed game time, or have no conditions, and activate them from a remote trigger. One last tip, if your time-periodic triggers have conflicting conditions, put the conditions in an If/Than/Else gate, and from there, remember and/or gates!

B

BKnight760

Cool, cool...

Alright, combining the triggers make sense... as long as I have no conditions on any of them. Alright, good deal. I didn't think too much about doing that. I was attacking the problem from the wrong perspective. I was trying to lengthen the time-periodic events so that they would occour less often... which really wasnt helping at all. I'll try to create if/then/else situations, but they are just a pain to set up when creating maps for 10 players and have to check all of them... yuck. Anyway, I'll get back to you on that!

B

BKnight760

Effective!

Yes, combinig triggers helps a lot on speeding up the trigger queue... However, I suggest limiting the use of actions that check every unit a player has... such as "Unit - Count units in unit group." Those take a long time for the game to evaluate. But above all else, what works nicely is to have a trigger that turns your time - periodic triggers on and off. That way they are not running needlessly. Make sense? Anyway, that's what I did and it seems to be working great for the moment.

However, does anyone know how many If/Then/Else actions you can have in one trigger before it starts slowing it down? Or are those just so fast they are negligable?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.