Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
TROPIC THUNDER
Shit Blows Up
minimapaoh.png

What it is
It is a map which focuses on these factors:

User-Friendliness (People will learn the basics within minutes even without written instructions)
Eye Candy (It looks neat to the eyes)
Uniqueness (Don't have to press F to fire a shot)
Slimness (The map's file size will always be regarded as this progress)
No Lag from Processing or Networking (The popular projectile system is avoided here)
Realism (In gun specs and etc)

What I have done
A unique projectile system [See Reference for images]
5 classes which has their own strengths/weaknesses [See Reference for more info]
Air strikes with ground shaking if player is near
A lightning effect which is an eye candy
Cinematic + Skip button
Custom Mini-map In-game

Aims
Balanced positioning.
Advanced UI.
More classes.
Items.
Sub-class (Medic, Support, Recon)
Actual game modes

This will be updated with new ideas and accomplishments.

New Terrain
screenshot011t.jpg

screenshot010w.jpg

screenshot009mlh.jpg

screenshot008xja.jpg

screenshot007hqr.jpg

screenshot006qpl.jpg
Progress:
screenshot002u.png

screenshot002l.jpg

screenshot003eli.jpg

screenshot004ogh.jpg

screenshot005lka.jpg

Subject to change:
Name: Tropic Thunder doesn't fit anymore.
Theme: My direction has changed, now that it's not tropic thunder anymore.

Terrain not finished.

New features:

Enterable buildings with angle detection for shooting through windows and doors.
More space.
Less dependent on hiding using grass.
Added fog.
Less height.

Any suggestions/comments?

Reference:
Unique attack system
aaaadcj.jpg

shotgun.jpg
Classes
Light Infantry (M16)
Can shoot three bullets per click in a quick succession. Bullets are deadly and accurate. Simple and effective.
Light Infantry (G3)
Can shoot one bullet per click. Bullets are long ranged accurate and deadly. Suggested against retreating weak enemies.
Heavy Infantry (M249)
Can shoot twelve bullets per click. Bullets are inaccurate and deals mediocre damage. Suggested against clustered enemies.
Heavy Infantry (M3)
Can shoot one shell with eight pellets per click. Shell is inaccurate. Pellets slightly spread by distance and deals mediocre damage each. Suggested for hurting the heavy duty classes.
Heavy Support (M40A3)
Can shoot one bullet per click. Deals high damage and inaccurate when not scoping. Deals very high damage and very accurate when scoping. Great when used properly and suggested for picking off enemies from afar.
Light Infantry (Dual MAC-10)
Can shoot five bullets multiplied by two and split into half per click. Deals very low damage and inaccurate. Great for close combat or blind fire.
Light Infantry (AK-47)
Can shoot 5 bullets. Deals high damage for a rifle but is inaccurate. Very versatile and useful for any operative.

Old Terrain
wc3scrnshot010309144437ib4.jpg

wc3scrnshot010309144454sd3.jpg

wc3scrnshot011109122256yu1.jpg

wc3scrnshot011109122228uo7.jpg

wc3scrnshot011109122216tn8.jpg

wc3scrnshot011109115842ti6.jpg

wc3scrnshot011109122318tu1.jpg

Testing out airstrikes.
screenshot001gvb.jpg

screenshot002k.jpg

screenshot003soi.jpg

screenshot004ihb.jpg

screenshot005emr.jpg

screenshot010jht.jpg

screenshot011eyo.jpg

screenshot012g.jpg

screenshot013oed.jpg

screenshot014j.jpg

screenshot015k.jpg

screenshot016g.jpg

screenshot017u.jpg

screenshot018s.jpg

screenshot019x.jpg

screenshot020l.jpg

screenshot021s.jpg

screenshot022y.jpg

Download the Concept

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Wow, you should totally make the characters the same as in the movie. :D

The terrain looks interesting. Not super-awesome, but cool and unique. I guess.
Wait, so say you have a M16, the unit has 3 total mana? Or each shot takes a mana?

I shallz try it out. :)

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Wow, you should totally make the characters the same as in the movie. :D

Wait, so say you have a M16, the unit has 3 total mana? Or each shot takes a mana?

I don't really want to make the game so into the story. The story is great as a movie, but not a game.

Each shot takes 1 mana. The M16 realistically shoots 3 times (burst).

A sniper would only have 1 mana.

A machine gunner, due to bpm (bullets per minute), is like... 10 mana...

Reflexar

Reaction score
This looks intresting :D

Please change the name of the map, since this will make everyone think the map has something to do with the movive Tropic Thunder =)

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
the game idea sounds good

but I kinda don't like the terrain... you put "too" many details in a small, crowdy space, it looks a bit unnatural and you got some floating rocks in there :eek:

that dirt bridge definitely kills eyes on a first-view... import some better bridge model instead (since you already got so many imports)

and try to smooth the terrain a bit more, it still looks "squared" (I mean the cliffs)

the terrain is actually very important in 1st and 3rd person view games since player's sight is focused to every single detail in the terrain and it's very easily to notice some bad things

keep it going
looking forward to it :thup:

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
How am I suppose to plant the greens?

Spread out? Cause I don't think equality is part of terraining.

And what about the bridge? Isn't it fixed unlike most bridges? What should I do about it then?

WindexIsBack

Reaction score
No, quit warcraft3 = )
edit: oh yes, take what you want. I don't give a crap, I don't need or want credit either. But don't say you made those models either =/

WindexIsBack

Reaction score
Because my only joy (spending hours for minimal work isn't too fun for me) was modeling. However, wc3 modeling is just too limited.
So I joined up with Kenshi (squad based rpg) www.lofigames.com where I'm currently modeling buildings with.

I plan to go into sc2 modeling though.

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
If you like modeling, can you fix my marine... His head pops out as after he dies... weird.

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Just a small update. Not intentionally a bump, but:

Since I've had problems with my previous bullet system, I've made a new one.

But, more on that next time.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
If you like modeling, can you fix my marine... His head pops out as after he dies... weird.

Headshot? Isn't that a good thing? :D

It seems really small. But since it's an arena-like game I guess that's okay.

How fast does mana regenerate? 1 mana for 1 shot with 1 total mana? lol...

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Headshot? Isn't that a good thing? :D

58181170.jpg

NO

It seems really small. But since it's an arena-like game I guess that's okay.

I don't know why people say it's small. Is it really so small?

How fast does mana regenerate? 1 mana for 1 shot with 1 total mana? lol...

The whole mana pool comes back as soon as you hit 0. It doesn't regenerate on a per second basis.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

~Hai-Bye~
Bah!

thewrongvine

Reaction score
So what's the point if you never run out of mana?
Like it's either you have it or you don't, but ammunition should be like clips and stuff. Or continuous shells, not just 1 shot.

:D

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
So what's the point if you never run out of mana?
Like it's either you have it or you don't, but ammunition should be like clips and stuff. Or continuous shells, not just 1 shot.

:D

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

It's not continuous.

If you've played with a gun called M16, you'd know that it only shoots 3 bullets or 1 bullet at one pull of the trigger.

So 3 mana, then once you've finished it, it will come back after a short period of time. Like 0.50 seconds or etc.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
I won't go into great detail on my thoughts about the gun system, as I'd have to see it in action to judge, but to me it sounds like it is just going to devolve into a single gun being the ultimate weapon of the map, erasing the use of any other. Also, what exactly is the difference of firing 3 rounds per shot to firing a single round that is higher powered? With everything being based around automatic stats it doesn't sound like it will exhilarating like an action game should be.... yet more like 'equip this gun and run around until someone dies'. You need to add some more interactivity into the shooting system, as in proper action based games the use of a weapon varies with the skill and style of the user, not with what stats are working in the background.

With the terrain, well it looks nice to me but I must agree that it does seem rather small. It seems too linear with a few large, open spaces on each island and a single bridge connecting the 2 main areas. I'd of thought that a jungle warfare kind of game would have a lot more possible routes for the player to choose, so that they can sneak up on the enemy or plot more diverse tactics.

All in all, this seems like it could be an enjoyable game, but it really depends on how you implement the design plans. If done effectively it could be an exciting map, but as it stands I really think all your work will be for nothing when players learn how to exploit it's relatively simple layout and the automated gunfire.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
What I mean is, there's no clip involved here. So basically, every gun only has one shot, without overheating or jamming or reloading, since it's a one-shot-go. So, like MurderMode said, there might be one, sole powerful gun. Like without ammunition, there's no weapon specialty between a gun with a large clip that's easy to reload with small damage, than one like a shotgun with shells to insert which makes it longer to reload, but powerful.

Just thinking. :D
:thup: Good luck, heh!

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

WindexIsBack

Reaction score
[qoute] If you've played with a gun called M16, you'd know that it only shoots 3 bullets or 1 bullet at one pull of the trigger.[/qoute]
Actually, some versions of it (I believe the earlier versions) had full automatic.

And weapons should have accuracy, there are more than enough missile collision scripts out there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.