Trying to Protect my Computer from my Brother

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
Hello there TH. This kind of my brother trying to put spyware onto my computer for some unknown reason. In an attempt to stop him, I am looking for your advice into protecting my computer from someone who has access to the same network that I am on.

I am willing to password protect my computer on to the slightest permissions but I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to block him from doing such a thing.
Are there any programs that will disallow him from even modifying even the smallest file without a given password or combination?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
password protect the bios + windows and then go to my computer and prevent all accounts except yours from modifying/adding any files to them, except for say their desktop/documents/etc. - obviously don't let anyone else be an administrator on this computer, or better yet don't let anyone else use this computer for anything

alternatives would be to "freeze" the computer, such that any changes will go away on a restart, and then unfreeze to do updates/installs and then re-freeze when you are done with that (you might want to exclude your desktop or where you store stuff from this setting, but make sure that it's password protected then)

if they re-set the bios (by pulling the battery) and manage to boot off of some sort of CD, you can't do much about that.. but hopefully you would have noticed and cleaned it prior to typing any passwords for a keylogger/etc.

I would also set the firewall such that it blocks everything besides what you specifically allow, but that might get annoying

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's an article about Steady State for Windows XP and Vista. The article is from Wikipedia. You don't have to do a lot of stuffs to your accounts, BIOS, etc.

You can also try using Returnil System Safe, and Deep Freeze. They both have advanced options for protecting your computer.

These sort of programs are usually used in public computers, hotels, and a few gaming cafés to name a few. I still suggest you to read Wikipedia articles, as they mentioned a few flaws in most of these programs.

Hope this helps.

calolen

Reaction score
Hello there TH. This kind of my brother trying to put spyware onto my computer for some unknown reason. In an attempt to stop him, I am looking for your advice into protecting my computer from someone who has access to the same network that I am on.

I am willing to password protect my computer on to the slightest permissions but I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to block him from doing such a thing.
Are there any programs that will disallow him from even modifying even the smallest file without a given password or combination?
Did your brother want to spy you with the spy software? I think you can install a keylogger on his computer and let him have the same aweful feelings, or you can install some anti-keylogger so that he can not know what network you visited. :thup:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
There are ways to get around the passwords, however it's unlikely he knows how. Therefore a login password for Windows would suffice; you can set it to require a password when the screensaver comes on, which would deal with most of it. You can also encrypt all of your other files (like those listed in My Computer) if you desire; although I assure you, this gets extremely old after about an hour.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000705.htm

Furby

Current occupation: News poster
Reaction score
Ultimate solution: Don't allow him to be on the computer.

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
Haha, my brother has made peace with me so this post is now irrelevant. This was before he got into college and had all of this stress and decided to vent it out on me. Now he's in NYC living the good old college life.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Sounds like a moderately unstable brother to me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.