Trying Ubuntu

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I've had Ubuntu dual-booted on my desktop and laptop for a couple months or so (longer for just my laptop), but for some reason I've been more inclined to choose Windows 7 over Ubuntu each time.

In order to try and actually use linux (since I've wanted to for so long), I'm going to try coming to you guys for help.

First off, I decided I ought to try and fix up my UI, and make it a bit more to what I'm used to. I figure I will change what I want later on, once I'm actually situated with linux. I'm trying to get some basic nice settings set up for my laptop, which can't do anything with visual effects above 'None' (so please don't recommend anything that requires it).

TLDR; Is there anything you'd recommend as a 'must-have'? I really want the Windows 7 search bar, but there doesn't seem to be one. Also: How is my current theme (default gnome stuff)?

screenshotwfg.png

Finally, besides what's in the power settings, is there any way to increase battery life? I get about half what I get in Windows 7. :(

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
I've had Ubuntu dual-booted on my desktop and laptop for a couple months or so (longer for just my laptop), but for some reason I've been more inclined to choose Windows 7 over Ubuntu each time.

In order to try and actually use linux (since I've wanted to for so long), I'm going to try coming to you guys for help.

First off, I decided I ought to try and fix up my UI, and make it a bit more to what I'm used to. I figure I will change what I want later on, once I'm actually situated with linux. I'm trying to get some basic nice settings set up for my laptop, which can't do anything with visual effects above 'None' (so please don't recommend anything that requires it).

TLDR; Is there anything you'd recommend as a 'must-have'? I really want the Windows 7 search bar, but there doesn't seem to be one. Also: How is my current theme (default gnome stuff)?

screenshotwfg.png

Finally, besides what's in the power settings, is there any way to increase battery life? I get about half what I get in Windows 7. :(

From my experience Windows 7's battery life estimates are horribly inaccurate.

If you want to make it look nice and windows like, run sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop and when logging in select Kubuntu from the session list at the bottom.

Darthfett

Reaction score
From my experience Windows 7's battery life estimates are horribly inaccurate.

I often have my laptop running windows for several hours at a time, by closing the lid and running music or something similar. I was using the last semester for two classes in a row, before needing a recharge. Ubuntu runs out of battery by the end of a class period (slightly longer with the lid closed).

If you want to make it look nice and windows like, run sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop and when logging in select Kubuntu from the session list at the bottom.

I'll try it out, thanks. :)

If you prefer windows, why do you want to use ubuntu? :p

As a developer, I will need to know my way around. I also love the ideas behind it (Open Source, packages, customizable, etc)

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ah, why'd you choose Ubuntu, that's hardly even Linux :(

Should have gone Arch :p

Anyways, I'm sure you already got Unix Terminal down, dir < ls anyways.

irssi - You can grab it with [ljass]su apt-get install irssi[/ljass] I think (don't use Aptitude) and it's a much more traditional approach to IRC and IMO better than any other plain text or GUI client.

firefox - duh.

gcc - pretty sure it might come standard with Ubuntu, but you may want to grab it anyways.

screen - it's a terminal application to let you run multiple console windows within one. I use it to look at a few IRSSI windows at once, or compile/write and run code in the same shell. Very useful.

vim/emacs - It's just worth having sometimes. Sometimes you're just in the mood for some plain text editing :thup: (btw vim>emacs)

Reading TomMai's thread will help a lot.

Darthfett

Reaction score
Hey guys, wanted to thank you for taking a look. I've found Gnomenu and Gnome-go to be excellent applications, the first giving a decent looking menu, the other giving a decent local application search.

Ah, why'd you choose Ubuntu, that's hardly even Linux :(

Should have gone Arch :p

I have no idea what you have against Ubuntu, but I'm prepared to say that Ubuntu is far more Linux than Windows.

Anyways, I'm sure you already got Unix Terminal down, dir < ls anyways.

Absolutely. :p I'm still not used to using it for opening files, or for finding processes and such, but I'm slowly finding more through a friend. killall is useful if something is misbehaving. ^^

irssi - You can grab it with [ljass]su apt-get install irssi[/ljass] I think (don't use Aptitude) and it's a much more traditional approach to IRC and IMO better than any other plain text or GUI client.

firefox - duh.

gcc - pretty sure it might come standard with Ubuntu, but you may want to grab it anyways.

screen - it's a terminal application to let you run multiple console windows within one. I use it to look at a few IRSSI windows at once, or compile/write and run code in the same shell. Very useful.

vim/emacs - It's just worth having sometimes. Sometimes you're just in the mood for some plain text editing :thup: (btw vim>emacs)

Reading TomMai's thread will help a lot.

I'm not really having trouble finding general use applications, that's as simple as trying them out, more like the basic way the package system works doesn't make it clear what package does what.

firefox: I have chrome. Chrome > firefox, IMO.

gcc - yeah yeah, installed by default. I'm not doing any C/C++ dev right now anyways.

screen - I had someone recommend this one to me, and I've been meaning to take a look at it, thank you.

vim/emacs - vim has a terrible new-user intro, and I'm not sure how I think of emacs. Right now, gedit seems to be the notepad/notepad++ replacement, which is generally what I was looking for (for now).

screenshotrb.png
Here's my newest version, now that I've been using it consistently on my desktop and laptop for a couple weeks now. :D

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Beautiful.

Linux is great, ain't it?

As for packages, usually there will be instructions for each package name if you google it.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I've never used Ubuntu for a desktop computer really, it's always just been for server stuff. I've played around with it a bit though, and I made a virtual machine that looked like a Mac, but it was Ubuntu. That was kinda cool, as I like the Mac looks but hate the way it operates. Lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.