Turning objects on their side, in galaxy editor?

Richard

Reaction score
I am needing help with turning objects on their side. Take the protoss pylon for example. How would I turn it so its side would be against the ground?

I have tried virtually everything in the object properties and yet nothing I do seems to work. I try various rotations, but all it appears to do is move it right, left, up and down. Is this even possible, I wonder?

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to TheHelper!

It is possible to do this. I've used it to make marine lie down for example. What I did was that I went into the actor of the unit I wanted to flip (A marine in my case) and opened up the Event: Events + field.

I right-clicked in the list to create a new event. I only wanted the marine to lie down when he had a specific behavior, so I set the event to Behavior.MyBehavior.On. If you want it on permanently, set it to Actor Creation.(Any).(Any)

Set the action to Set Rotation. Unfortunately, here's where it gets messy. The rotation parameter is just a long string which needs to contain 6 reals.

Here's the string I used: "-0.000000,-0.000000,1.000000 -0.230063,0.973176,0.000000". Try modifying the values until it does what you want.

Richard

Reaction score
Thanks so much for responding.

However, I am rather confused. I do not know what you mean when you say "field". I experimented using the marine, but there was no change to his position when I rotated him. I tried using different units and objects, but there was never any change. What am I doing wrong? Is there some finalization necessary before any change can occur?

Thanks

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
do you try to give this object an attack and are the issues that you can't get them fire?

or do you want the whole 'actor' to rotate?

you could give your unit a 'turret' which can be done in the 'weapon' tab but you need to pick a very specific one

by which way do you want to turn your objects anyway? by giving them some abilities?

Richard

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your response.

No, I am not interested in managing an attack. I just want certain objects to turn sideways. As in, their side that would normally be consider right or left would be now against the ground. Another example would be a spike doodad. It is normally vertical, but what if I wanted to place it on a cliff side? What if I wanted a building to be placed on a cliff?

I have spent hours trying to get this to work. Even trying the actor string code mentioned by Siretu. But no combination I use changes anything about any object I experiment with. They behavior and appear the exact same.

Saying I want something to rotate is really not accurate. I want to permanently change the pitch on some objects. Modifying the "model" of an object seems to be the only thing that actually changes it. It does not change the direction it faces unfortunately, just its height and width. However, this compels me to think that the answer has something to do with the model.

This is really driving me crazy. Mainly because I want there is a way to do this, but for what ever reason it is not working. Even though I follow the instructions exactly. Although, I should note that I also tried to play a test document game, with 2 teams. Myself and 1 computer player on a team and 5 computer players on a team. But the instructions I found to do this DID NOT work what so ever. It literally took me days of experimentation to get it to work. The odd thing is, the actions that finally caused me to achieve the desire result were nothing like the instructions I found. So, naturally I would suspect that this is the same case.

Any help what so ever would be greatly appreciated. Primarily because the time I spend in constant experimentation could be spent actually playing the game.

LOL

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
I understand what you meaning now Richard, I'm sure there must be something possible to find in the actor-events, there are a huge number of possibilities in this data.

Probably Siretu or Dave know some solution for this, they are very expieranced with actor/models :)

Siretu

Reaction score
What model are you working with? As I said, I know my method works for the marine. Try going into the marine's actor events and pasting the string from my last post. That should give us a better idea of the problem.

If it doesn't work on the marine either, there's something I did that you didn't, so I'll have to clarify exactly what I did. If it works on the marine, there might be something special with that model.

Richard

Reaction score
Is there maybe a video showing exactly what is done? I have virtually experimented with every unit including the marine. I am learning a great deal about the galaxy editor, as a result of all this experimentation, mostly things unrelated to rotation. Yet each time I attempt to change the unit(s) position nothing happens. They stay the same and are not different in any way. Quite strange.

Siretu

Reaction score
Hmm, I was going to make a video for you, but I failed to accomplish the thing I wanted to show. After some more testing, it seems like it doesn't want to rotate it on actor creation, nor on unit birth. It works with the behavior though.

So my solution to you would be to create a new behavior(of the buff type) called something like: "MyUnit Rotation", and give it to the unit you want to rotate. Then do the same thing with the actor events but use the event "Behavior.MyUnitRotation.On" .

Richard

Reaction score
Thanks for you reply Siretu.

Unfortunately, even after I followed these instructions I remain confused and still without a remedy. What I did was...

Step 1. Create new behavior, (type buff).
Step 2. In the actor tab bring up desired unit and create new behavior event using newly created buff behavior (aka Myunit Rotation).
Step 3. Select (on).

I am assuming I have this right, yet when I look at the various sub categories in the behavior tab I see -

Primary tabs - Behavior / Stats / UI / Effect

Secondary tabs - Movement / Combat / Behavior / Unit / Resource / Weapon

Where among these tabs do you change the objects position? I ask because I am not seeing anywhere that gives me that option. Check the pix I loaded. Love to know what I am doing wrong.

Sorry to be such a bother, I just really want to figure this out. Its driving me crazy. It should be much easier than this. NA. It should be VASTLY easier. Thanks again.

ScreenShot038.jpgScreenShot039.jpgScreenShot040.jpg

Siretu

Reaction score
First some notes about your interface. I prefer using the following settings:
qigJN.jpg

Just make sure you view all the advanced options and such. I also prefer the list to the table view, but that's a personal preference.

You might also want to turn off "View raw something something". Basically, it changes all the names and stuff to their id, instead of their name. If you do this, the type will be Buff instead of CBehaviorBuff. You can do this with ctrl+d.

Anyway, you're almost done. You have to select the part that says "ActionImpact" and change it to Set Rotation. You'll get only one parameter. That's where you enter the 6 numbers: "-0.000000,-0.000000,1.000000 -0.230063,0.973176,0.000000"

I agree that this is way more complicated than it should be. I hope it doesn't discourage you too much though. Even though most of the editor is more complicated than in WC3, this was a rather extreme case.

Richard

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, but again, I see no change at all.

I was wondering though. Did you mention that the actual "myunit rotation" behavior was edited? I do not recall you saying that the behavior itself was modified in any way. Just selected while in the unit's event tab under "source name".

I am using the marine as a test subject, but no matter what combination of the 6
sequence code I use, he continues to stand upright. I make little changes in the code, but there is no difference in his position. He appears completely normal regardless of any code alterations.

I'm not sure why this is not working for me. I do think it could work, I get that feeling, but I'm obviously doing something wrong. Could I request a "how to" video? Or could you direct me to one?

Perhaps a visual would fill in these gaps? Thanks

Siretu

Reaction score
Does the unit have the behavior. I said "give it to the unit", but it feels like I might've skipped over that too fast. Go to the marine unit and open the Behavior: Behaviors + field and add the behavior you created.

Richard

Reaction score
Yea I've done that. That is what I was referring to a moment ago. When I said editing the "myunit rotation" behavior itself. Although from your replies it seems that I am to not touch the "myunit rotation" behavior, just select it as event and source, as shown in the pix I took? Is that right?

Thanks

Siretu

Reaction score
Meh, seems like I was too quick in answering your question. Basically, when you told me it didn't work with actor creation, I tried it out myself. When it didn't work for me either, I wanted to try it with a different actor event; the behavior.

The easiest way to do that, I felt, was to remove the stim requirement and making the event trigger on the stim behavior. This works. So I thought the problem was in the actor creation, not in the behavior and therefore I told you to give it a behavior on start.

However, I can't get it to work with a behavior that is given on start either(so I'm in the same boat as you). What I do know is that it works if you give the behavior after the game has started. But that feels like an ugly way to do it.

After doing some research, it seems like this has been an issue for a while now and the Set Rotation actor has never really worked properly.

Don't worry though, there is a solution(although it's a little more ugly and complicated). Hopefully, it is not too discouraging. I can't remember the last time someone asked a question with such a messy, over-complicated answer.. I hope you walk away with a decent amount of knowledge about actors, which is very valuable.

So how do we fix it? We actually only need one more event. We don't need the behavior either, which is a plus. We do need to learn about terms though.

Go into the marine's actor. Create a new event. Set the event to Actor Creation and select the action(which is ActionImpact by default) and set it to "Timer Set". Set the duration to 0.1(anything less than this wont work) and the name to something unique for the rotation, like "rotate".

If you don't set the name, you might have problems with using other timers later.

Go back to your other custom event and change it from Behavior.MyUnitRotation.On to Timer Expired. Finally, right click the event and press "Add Term". The term is like a condition. It has to be true or the action wont run. We'll use this to make sure the unit only rotates when this timer expires, and not any other timers.

Set the term type to "TimerName" and set the name to "rotate".

It should look like this:
tca6z.jpg

Edit: You can use site operations as well, but they are more advanced(although they work properly, from what I can tell)

Richard

Reaction score
WOW, it finally worked.

But, why do I feel like I have been up for 5 straight days studying for a molecular-chemistry final? Rather bizarre, no?

Discouraging? Not really. I naturally am an obsessive person. Finding a remedy, to this otherwise simple challenge, was only a matter of time. The more dead ends I met, the more I was compelled to succeed. WOW, I sound like a grief counselor. LOL

Well thanks a ton for your help. This should be vastly easier. Being that I do not see any videos on youtube discussing this specific modification, I think I will make one. So people will not be brought to near suicidal frustration, like myself.

Thanks so much, Richard

Richard

Reaction score
Hey there, me again.

I was wondering about the "timer set" creation. Would it be necessary to use this when wanting to cause any physical positioning modification? For example, if I wanted to cause an object to spin (similar to a pylon), would I need to use the "timer" creations events?

Thanks

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
hmmm, generally i believe that would be done in the model, as im pretty sure only parts of it spin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.