Tutorials, Tips and Tricks!

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
Why not just copy paste three layers of the same image and the flipping em, going from 128x128 to 256x256 without even touching texture quality and making it tileable.

If you don't understand what I'm saying, as even I didn't:

We have this image:

128x128

untileable.jpg

make one identical layers flipping it horizontally, duplicating these two layers flipping both duplicates vertically, resulting in a completely tilable texture:

256x256

tileable.jpg

Resulting in a tile like this:

tiled.jpg

WindexIsBack

Reaction score
Because that texture is extremly easy to notice where it repeats. But, there isn't 1 sure-fire method for every type of texture. Your way is slightly better for those kind of rocks, but still require a large amount of re-touch work.

Your method is also better for lower-resolution textures, while mine begins to shine around 256+res. It's just opinion mate.

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
Indeed, that is true, I think my way looks good enough for brick walls, gravel and such, that doesn't need to look as unique as possible in every spot.

Btw I tested to tile your image vertically and it didn't fit in some places.

Dr.Jack

That's Cap'n to you!
Reaction score
Purge your tutorials don't work any more... Any chance you will re-upload them?

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
Some of you may not know this, but GIMP's printing script is very buggy right now. In fact, I can't print anything larger than about an inch square, so I found this neat trick for dealing with it while I was finding a program to print a picture. What you do is you save the file you want to print (I suggest a .png file format). Next, you go to your file and right click it. Go to open with and select firefox. Your image should be on the screen and you can just do file->print and voila, you have a program to print directly with. :)

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That tutorial was very much needed.

Smudging like a boss.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.