Two questions

Sensang

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
1. I want to have a tech requirement, requiring a certain upgrade to be made before you can build a unit. Since blizzard seem to use some "allow unit" object at their tech requirements, which are only buildings! (there are no "requires that upgrade" unit preset). ATM it seems like it has anything to do with those "Requirements" and "Requirement Node" data in the data editor... But i have no clue how they work since there is nothing preset.

2. I want a type of unit to spam 1 ability whenever it moves anywhere every few seconds without using any triggers to cast the ability automatically. => dummy spell that doesnt overwrite other commands, with autocast whenever it's walking (autocasting all the time would be ok too, but less than optimal cuz i think too many of those units casting all the time would promote lag) and a scalable cooldown. And yes, I havent discovered any of those things yet without triggering all of it. With triggering I guess its no problem but causes lag since this game also uses the 3D use of units. ("Machines - wired for war" Remake)

Btw. if someone gets to find some 3D mouse + keyboard kind of SC2 map i could download and look at to find out how it works a link to that would be highly appreciated.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
1. hint: 'upgrades' is a data type.

Sensang

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
1. hint: 'upgrades' is a data type.

with the time ive spent searching for a solution that answer seems like a slap in the face if meant like "try it yourself first" :banghead:

otherwise thx i guess it was in a nice intention.

Advice D.

Reaction score
2. Create a buff behaviour with a periodic effect (and period). If you need any further direction from there I'll need a few details on the spell.

Sensang

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
2. Create a buff behaviour with a periodic effect (and period). If you need any further direction from there I'll need a few details on the spell.

Ive tried that with Behavior type = Buff; Effect - Initial/Period = MySpell; Period = 3.0000; Period Count = -1;
Everything except the periodic casting works. I have no idea what to do next...

ok i will try to explain it as good as i can. I wanna remake a game called Machines. There is a unit called "locater" that when you order it to move somewhere scans for resource nodes every few seconds. And if it found a node it should move to it and then follow their last move order again until they reach their destination or yet another node. (I guess that i will have to do that last sentence with triggers which wouldnt be such a big deal cuz i would know how)

So what i need is a dummy spell that is cast whenever it's moving. (going off every few seconds (i havent figured out how to set cooldowns yet though..) while not standing still) If thats impossible an ability that just automatically goes off every few seconds would be fine too.^^ (even when standing still)
Maybe "Combat - Auto Cast Validators {AICasterWantsToMoveAndNotCombat (Unnamed)}" or "Combat - Auto Cast Validators {CasterForcedToMove (Unnamed)}" is what Im looking for ...
but then again I have no freakin idea how to use autocasting :(

I would appreciate it if someone just linked me to some guide. I'm not too lazy. I just can't figure out how to get autocasts on my own. I've really tried^^

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Advice D.

Reaction score
There is a unit called "locater" that when you order it to move somewhere scans for resource nodes every few seconds. And if it found a node it should move to it and then follow their last move order again until they reach their destination or yet another node.
I'm fairly certain this could be done with a periodic trigger alone, counting the number of nodes in a circle around the locater, then selecting the nearest (if any) and issuing a move order to be performed before its existing orders, then flagging any nodes already visited (maybe by putting them in a group which the node filter filters out) so as to avoid loops.

Dangime

Reaction score
As to the first part of your question, there are quite a few requirements that seem to be based on upgrades or at least that can be used that way. I can't say I've done it myself yet, but you can set the requirement to something like "Learned Siege Tech" the upgrade to go to siege mode...so I don't see why any upgrade couldn't be used as a requirement. Probably just need to look at one of these a tinker with it.

Sensang

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
And if it found a node it should move to it and then follow their last move order again until they reach their destination or yet another node. (I guess that i will have to do that last sentence with triggers which wouldnt be such a big deal cuz i would know how

I'm fairly certain this could be done with a periodic trigger alone, counting the number of nodes in a circle around the locater, then selecting the nearest (if any) and issuing a move order to be performed before its existing orders, then flagging any nodes already visited (maybe by putting them in a group which the node filter filters out) so as to avoid loops.

This can in fact be done with a periodic trigger alone. But first of all i don't know how to get a periodic trigger to work as stated in my last reply. And secondly i will have to optimize "trigger lag" since i wanna create a 3D vision mode for your units.

My supreme goal is to find a way to just trigger the "pick every unit in radius of x around unit a and order unit to move targeting location of picked unit (before existing orders)"

Im quite familiar with the world editor so triggering isnt where im failing at...
Could you upload a map with 1 unit periodically casting anything every few seconds? that would be a great help...

Sensang

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
btw ... is it possible that there are hardcoded things you cant see?
because for example sometimes an upgrade can't be selected within triggers while another one can. While every very value is the same, even the "based on" thing... bugs the hell out of me :banghead:

but maybe its just natural to feel that the outcome of your editing feels random at this point in time... otherwise this editor has to be very buggy...

Advice D.

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, I got quite sidetracked while creating this.
View attachment Periodicsearches.zip
Features: SCV with a periodic aura-like effect that makes nearby minerals erupt with happiness (looks suspiciously like psionic energy), an ability that temporarily captures minerals with toggleable autocast, and a triggered autocast that allows it to hunt down minerals even while undertaking other orders, only while autocast is active.

Disclaimer: This is probably very inefficient and requires optimization, especially in the trigger. Anyway, it's purely an example, so mess around with it and have fun!

EDIT: After playing around with it for a while I've discovered that I love this autocast behaviour. I'll have to implement it in a proper map some day.

Sensang

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, I got quite sidetracked while creating this.
View attachment 36584
Features: SCV with a periodic aura-like effect that makes nearby minerals erupt with happiness (looks suspiciously like psionic energy), an ability that temporarily captures minerals with toggleable autocast, and a triggered autocast that allows it to hunt down minerals even while undertaking other orders, only while autocast is active.

Disclaimer: This is probably very inefficient and requires optimization, especially in the trigger. Anyway, it's purely an example, so mess around with it and have fun!

EDIT: After playing around with it for a while I've discovered that I love this autocast behaviour. I'll have to implement it in a proper map some day.

Thx you gave me right idea to get the aura like effect to work. But I still have no idea how to script this without the "periodic time event".
Is anyone having an idea on how to do that? I can't link a trigger event to an effect. And I can't get an ability to fire off while the unit is walking without the periodic time trigger.

Btw. is there no one who knows how this upgrade thing goes? As of now it's not any where as easy as many may think (without building dummys)
And yes I've made a requirement that counts if the upgrade is completed and applied it to the command button of the building who trains the unit.

Sensang

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
ok thx to everyone especially advice D. Ive tested a lot with your map :D

Now Ive solved that problem completely! Ive just taken the attack ability and have given it to my locator unit and changed the ability id to tapminerals :D
It works with no triggering whatsoever for as many units as i want. (one of the problems i had with triggering it was the fact that i wanted to have more of those units :D)

man i like this editor.

Advice D.

Reaction score
Now Ive solved that problem completely! Ive just taken the attack ability and have given it to my locator unit and changed the ability id to tapminerals :D
Ah, so it works like attack-move. I never even considered that possibility!
It works with no triggering whatsoever for as many units as i want. (one of the problems i had with triggering it was the fact that i wanted to have more of those units :D)
For multiple units, I would've just turned the trigger into an action, changed all the unit ids to a parameter then made a trigger that periodically picked every SCV and ran the action with the picked unit as the parameter. Still, Tap-Move is probably considerably more efficient and less complicated.
man i like this editor.
Me too!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.