System UAC - Unit Aura Control

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's backwards compatible.
I didn't remove features, just added them. :)
(Or changed how they worked internally)

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
I'm actually looking at writing a spell. I thought UAC may make it faster to write. Here's end-user style feedback as to why I didn't use it in the end.

Like most users, I spent all of 5 minutes trying to figure things out about the system. And, well, if it was going to take more than 5 minutes, it was faster for me to write myself for my application.
  1. I couldn't figure out whether or not this supported auras being added/removed from units.
  2. The documentation seems to suddenly mention "the struct". What struct? Maybe I missed this, but the documentation just seemed too bloated to find what I was looking for.
  3. I found H2I attachment, which I ban on principle. Nothing wrong with the way you've done it. I'm an end user. I don't need to justify my decisions or be "correct".
  4. When I glanced through the documentation I reached the end before I knew where to even begin using the system.

Now, sorry to provide such harsh feedback on something you no doubt spent ages creating, but this was the reality for me. Perhaps you need a 10-15 sentence tutorial on using this system.

And having the changelog and contact information first actually was really frustrating.

Edit: I finally found the "Usage" section in the documentation, but feel like killing you for putting it there. It was harder to find this section than to use the system. :banghead:

It still doesn't explain whether or not auras can be added and removed, so I still can't use the system.

Hope you find this feedback useful. :)

PS. My spell was not a hero ability. It was to be added and removed via triggers. :)

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> I couldn't figure out whether or not this supported auras being added/removed from units.
Yes, it does.
There's even a 'single' operator, which automatically destroys the instance when the unit dies. :)

> I found H2I attachment, which I ban on principle. Nothing wrong with the way you've done it. I'm an end user. I don't need to justify my decisions or be "correct".
Most people don't have a problem with that. And unfortunately, H2I is the only way to do this without using UserData.

As for the documentation, I'll fix it up. :)

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
Hm. I may give this another shot. I didn't end up making the spell yet, and may not at all. It was an alternate reality spell - the hero and all units the player owns goes into an alternate reality, and can only be seen and targetted by other units in it. So doing it as an aura seemed handy. :p (And cheap timewise.)

>only way to do this without using UserData
Is there a problem with using a UserData indexing system? o_O
Just wondering...

Rommel

Reaction score
Oooh, i love Romek..btw, Romek, can you make a tutorial about custom auto-cast spells like Impetus in DotA. Yes there is already one in the spell section but it seems old and complicated !

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Is there a problem with using a UserData indexing system? o_O
Yes. System independence is a fine thing.
Not like the current method is terrible either. You're just H2Iophobic.

> Oooh, i love Romek..btw
=)

> tutorial about custom auto-cast spells like Impetus in DotA
I don't even know what Impetus is.

> Yes there is already one in the spell section but it seems old and complicated !
I haven't seen it.

I've got vJass II and III to write. And II is delayed. So don't expect a tutorial like that anytime soon. :p

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just read about that new patch.
How annoying.

It's a little fix. I'll need to do it once I've patched though. Something that I can'd do so easily. (I've got WE from the wrong version. =|)

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
hey romek....... i have a request..

could you update the attachment system?
dont rely on H2I anymore, i mean also not GetHandleId()...

because it's a major system in my map and i use it for lots of spells.

maybe go back to PUI or any other..
just not H2I 'cause it will make maps that have it not 'backwards compatible' with other versions of warcraft.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Updated to 2.2.

Once I get time, I'll probably recode the whole thing again. Constantly adding methods can make things messy. And I don't think any more can be possibly added. :p

The Filter methods could probably be stub methods instead of interface methods.

It should maintain backwards compatibility, though I'm considering renaming the methods to match more common naming conventions. (UnitPeriodic -> unitPeriodic, etc).
Comments on that are appreciated.

..And the documentation will be updated. =)

That'll probably be the final update.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The PUI version is gone.
I'll make a PUI dependant one if you want, which I'll release with version 3.

Why do you want a PUI dependant one anyway? o_O

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.