UI - Custom Buttons - How?

Fulla

Evil Overlord
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to setup DIALOG buttons with custom UI via triggers?

I have scoured google searches and multiple forums, nothing seems to cover this. I tried to no avail the: Set - Dialog Item Image

thanks.

Kyuft

Reaction score
You don't need to use triggers if you are making the button on a unit's command card.
Is that what you are doing?
-Kyuft:shades:

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Eventually artwise yes, but just for starters just

how do you change a buttons image with triggers?
[del]
It depends on what kind of button we're talking about.

As far as I know, there's two relevant buttons you might be talking about(excluding screen buttons since they're not really useful for anything since the dialog does everything they do but better if I recall correctly).

There's dialog buttons and command card buttons.

Dialog buttons are created through triggers and are used to create custom menus and stuff. You can view a tutorial about them[/del].

Since there's been like 3 additional replies since I started writing this thread, it's easier for me to explain since I know what kind of button you want. Basically, I've had problems getting an image to work for the buttons. You can set the button text and in the button text add an image but it's clumsy and looks bad. The way I do it is to create a separate dialog item(an image) and place it over the button. Make it slightly smaller than the button and set it in a separate variable that you can refer to. Then you use the "Set - Dialog Item Image" action to set the image's image instead of the button's image.

Edit: Or are you talking about modifying the borders of the button?

Fulla

Evil Overlord
Reaction score
Here is an example: Look at the art of the buttons, NOT standard.

More importantly he's set it up just like a button so
- if your mouse goes over them, they highlight just like a button
- if you click (without releasing mouse button) they change colour as well.

Siretu

Reaction score
There are several things you have to know. First of all, to achieve the mouse-over effect, make sure you set the "Hover Image" of the button when creating it(or later on by using the "Set Dialog Item Hover Image" action).

Now, the image that buttons use are not the same as an ordinary image. They're chipped up in pieces so the editor can use them to make a working button of ANY size. View this post on sc2mapster to get some more information on that.

Basically, you have to make an image, divide it into squares, put the correct parts of your button in the correct squares, save it and import it back in and set the dialog buttons image to that.

Another way I tried but failed with was to just setting the button's image to a normal image and then setting the Image Type to normal. However, this seems to stretch it out for some reason.

Siretu

Reaction score
Thanks, got it working flawlessly now.

I may right a tutorial on it, to help others.

Awesome, I would love it if you made a tutorial about it.

Kyuft

Reaction score
Please write a tutorial on it, I think it would help many people on TH including me.
-Kyuft:shades:

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
pretty sure there is an event that a dialog item is clicked, regardless of whether it is a button or not, ie: event an image is clicked, that way you can create your own 100% custom images for buttons, which with a graphics background i would like to do in one of my own maps when i have the time to actually make one

Siretu

Reaction score
pretty sure there is an event that a dialog item is clicked, regardless of whether it is a button or not, ie: event an image is clicked, that way you can create your own 100% custom images for buttons, which with a graphics background i would like to do in one of my own maps when i have the time to actually make one

This doesn't work. Unfortunately, the "Dialog Item is used" event does not trigger upon clicking an image.

However, if you read the thread you'll see that this was actually solved. The solution provided also allows you to create 100% custom images for buttons. Even if the event had worked that way you would just've created a button that is not as flexible as the standard one.

GFreak45

Reaction score
that depends, you could easily have 2 coppies of a button, btn.filetype and btnPressed.filetype, with some clever scripting you could basically have re-skinned the button, unless thats not what you mean

but oh well :*( shoot my hopes and dreams down! :p

Siretu

Reaction score
I just don't see what you're trying to accomplish GFreak. You can have a button that has one appearance normally, one when it's highlighted and one when it's pressed. If you read the rest of the thread, you can find out how to do it.

GFreak45

Reaction score
you can? my derp...
i guess i shouldnt be browsing the SC2 editor forum when i havent touched the thing in a month+
been using Visual Studio C++ Express, and you kinda have to make all these things do what they do yourself
more versatile but increases the "gruntwork" or tedious but easy parts of programming -.-

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.