World Ukraine mobilizes after Putin's 'declaration of war'

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
The sanctions did not even really start if I remember correctly. I think they are still talking about what they are going to do.
But this can never be good for russia. Its a rather poor country, the economy is hurting lately and now they are alienating the west which could have been a very useful trading partner.

That's true, but even if they're economy is poor, Putin is known not to care too much for his people. He isn't going to lose major trading partners in the West either. Germany gets 37% of their oil from him and other countries get large portions as well.

Obama has put out some sanctions on 20 or so individuals and put 20 more I think today but most of it is visa bans (not sure about asset freezes but I'd assume the people already got their assets out of the country by now).

The issue is, Russia's investors aren't afraid of US sanctions anymore. They did take their money away at march 17 - 19 when the Russian economy dropped heavily, but they soon came back after and Russia's economy is around were it used to be (almost). With the way it looks like now, Russia can keep Crimea and be completely fine economically. Its once they start moving into other parts of Ukraine when they might have to face a war and that's when their economy will tank.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/USDRUB:CUR
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...ions-on-russian-officials-to-press-putin.html

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
EU and the US have made sanctions against a limited number of people so far.
Economical sanctions against Russia will indeed hurt the west as well as Russia.
Financial sanctions will hurt the UK a lot since Russian rich guys have posted a lot of money into the UK economy.
France is trading weapons and war machinery with Russia.
Germany gets a shit load of their gas supply from Russia.

France would like to hit Russia financially, but the UK would rather stop trading goods.
Germany is afraid that Russia will cut off the gas supply from Russia to the EU.

That is not to say the Russia won't suffer if sanctioned but the EU will suffer as well.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure the EU will suffer as well. Everybody will.
Trade is a game where everybody wins usually, so if trading is discontinued everybody will lose.
But the EU is going pretty well right now, they can take another blow. But in russia there is protests and political uproar at the moment.

But this is a game of showing who has the biggest balls. And I bet putin will win at a game like that.

Solu9

Reaction score
This political uproar you talk about. I have not heard about it.
As far as I know the Russian parliament (or whatever it's called over there) stand fully behind Putin's decisions.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course, the parliament.
But for the last couple of months several new parties have been started trying to change the political playing field.
Sure, they were all stopped and thrown in jail, but its still a sign that the people of russia are fighting for a change.
Furthermore, putin and his goons are all becoming old man; in a couple of decades the political situation in russia might change drastically once the old geezers are dieing of old age.

Of course, much of this is only my personal predictions.

Solu9

Reaction score
And we can only hope the prediction holds water.

Furthermore, putin and his goons are all becoming old man; in a couple of decades the political situation in russia might change drastically once the old geezers are dieing of old age.

Or in a nuclear war. It's unlikely, but we never know what crazy power horny old men are willing to do.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Russia is the number one exporter of natural gas and the number two exporter of oil, with the capacity to easily be the top exporter. They don't NEED the west to care or like them, they barely need the west to trade. Russia is one of the few countries capable of being completely isolated from the rest of the world and have a relatively smooth transition to being self preservative.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing is going to happen here. Crimea is going to Russia, maybe some other countries that elect it - but probably not - then nothing just a big Media event of Putin Pwning Obama.

Solu9

Reaction score
Nothing is going to happen here. Crimea is going to Russia, maybe some other countries that elect it - but probably not - then nothing just a big Media event of Putin Pwning Obama.

It must be frustrating to live in the US with your media...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.