Unit and Spell Balancing

HeX.16

Isn't Trollin You Right Now
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good method or tool to help me with this. Dont say Excel(i dont have it). If you can point me too it or explain a good way to do it.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
i always did it by sentience. (was that correct english? using dictionarys sucks.)
i dont think there is like a "tool" to balance a map. balancing is something too complicate for a simple tool to manage, because you have to keep in mind synergy, possible item/hero/skill combinations and so on and so on.
as a rule i think the following sentence might be helpful:
"If i would use the ability, while i wouldnt think it would be imbalanced if my enemy got it, its balanced."

HeX.16

Reaction score
I get what your saying Accname.

For this all i need is a way to balance Damage. Lets start with that xD

mapguy

Reaction score
Create a system of points for each thing. armor, attack, AS, MS and then you will decide how much points each unit has.

example:
1 damage = 1 point.
1 armor = 4 points.
2% attack speed = 1 point.
10 movement = 1 point

HeX.16

Reaction score
I guess that could work. But when i think about it i see that as lots of work. Work is something i avoid. Im just going with gut feeling xD

mapguy

Reaction score
I guess that could work. But when i think about it i see that as lots of work. Work is something i avoid. Im just going with gut feeling xD
YOu are working on a footman frenzy map, right?
make it random, players get random creeps, so, there is no reason to HYPER BALANCE, your game will be 20% luck, 80% strategy.
for example, get 3 barracks, each one produces ONE random creep type that can be upgraded

Earlenlajnen

Reaction score
This is an article posted by an employee of Blizzard. Here you can find a couple of balancing formulas, such as:

Game Impact * Durability = Effectiveness
Square root (Game Impact * Durability/Cost^2) = cost effectivenes
Reduction in Effectiveness (to smaller units) = .5 + .5(Number of Large / Number of Small for the same cost)

The article focuses mainly on teaching how you are supposed to think when balancing though. But there might be something of value in it for you...

EDIT: When you try to balance spells and such, you can use a variation of the first formula:

Damage(Game Impact) * Manacost (Durability)

But even using these formulas you must still take additional variables in to account, such as cooldown, the units maximum mana, maximum mana growth, number of units affected etc.

HeX.16

Reaction score
The above post has a brilliant method. Im busy figuring out my own Formula to do it though xD

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.