Unit Enters Region Malfuntion?

O

Omegas

I've been looking through any post with the Word "Region" in the title for someone with a similar problem to no avail.

I use Events in a script as follows

Text Spider Door
Events
A Unit Enters Regoin 29 <gen>
Conditions
(Demon Gate (Horizontal) 0391 <gen> is alive) Equal to True
Actions
Game - Display to All Players the text........

Well simple enough as this script is, it doesn't work... At least so I thought. Well apparently this script only works if a unit enters the region from the SOUTH. :nuts: ??? I have other Unit Enters Region Scripts and I have confirmed the same thing. Sometimes it may work when a Unit Enters from the South or from the East but some of these regions namely the one above is really only accessible from the north (Under the conditions!). So is there anyway to fix this?

At one point this trigger actually worked from the north but it stopped and I have no idea why. Either I moved the region edited it or did something by mistake that reset some form of "entering direction parameter" that seems to be unchangeable or determined only when the region is first laid down and is then reset after any changes made to the region or if you move the regions location.

I know about creating an invisible unit and setting up scripts for "If unit is in range" but I'd rather not have to make a bunch of individual invisible units all over that might cause pathing problems. Is there a specific way you need to lay down the region? Or any triggers or better combination of triggers that could get the job done? Just not sure why this weird restriction would be the case. Is there a GLOBAL or MAP setting or script to configure Units Entering Regions From Specific Directions?

Any Help in the matter will be greatly appreciated. This problem affects a bunch of scripts in my hero / gauntlet map that I'm creating and has crippled this project for 6 months.

Oh one more thing.... Regions that are basically Very Tiny don't seem to have this problem but Making a bunch of really tiny regions is out of the question for the situations I'm trying to resolve.

diggoran

Reaction score
I have a feeling that this is not a coding problem if it is effecting all of the regions that you place. Try looking at all that you have changed before this. If there is anything universal that you changed earlier, I would suggest trying to change it back. Otherwise, I have no clue based on the information that you just gave me.

ManyTimes

I'm so lonesome I could cry...
Reaction score
First of all: huh?

Secondly
That trigger of yours there, works fine, it does not matter if you enter the region from south/east/west/heaven/hell... as long as you enter it and as long as the gate is alive.

>>might cause pathing problems.
No they will not. Invisible units can be walked through. Unless you do say it shouldn't via a trigger. Else you can change the movement to fly... Or collision size to 0 in Object Editor.

>>configure Units Entering Regions From Specific Directions?
Real comparison - Angle of Triggering Unit...

Thirdly: What are you even trying to do? Display a text to all players when a unit enters a region, no matter where he comes from (south/north/heaven...), well, then you have already accomplished that quest, move on please.

>>Otherwise, I have no clue based on the information that you just gave me.
Agreed

Terrabull

Veteran Member (Done that)
Reaction score
I've found that Warcraft doesn't always agree on when a unit is in a region, and when a unit enters a region.
The only solution I've found it to check either a slightly larger region surrounding the one they entered, or to wait a small amount of time (0.10 seconds) for Warcraft to get it's act together.

O

Omegas

I've found that Warcraft doesn't always agree on when a unit is in a region, and when a unit enters a region.
The only solution I've found it to check either a slightly larger region surrounding the one they entered, or to wait a small amount of time (0.10 seconds) for Warcraft to get it's act together.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping someone would say something like that as I didn't want to assume. I'll try overlapping regions and double calling.

Also I found something that may have been causing this anomally. I use a Main Game Trigger sort of as a brain or spine to call or execute other triggers. At the End of the Main game Trigger I put in:

Wait until ((All Units of (Units owned by (Random Player from (All Players))) are in Region 028 <gen>) Equal to True), checking every 1 seconds

This was for Victory conditions. Now since this is dealing with units in region and is constantly going while looking for "Unit Enters Region" events, it may be causing the problem I'm having where NONE of my Unit enters Region XXX Events will trigger, or at least they will only trigger if the Unit Enters from the Southern or Eastern side of the the Region. I've been able to isolate the WAIT command into a seperate trigger that will wait for a seperate event and conditions so that this isn't looping all the while the game goes on.

To the Poster "ManyTimes"

1) Please don't tell me that a triggers works fine if CLEARLY in the FIRST post I say it Doesn't! I may be new to the site but I'm no noob to the editor.

I do appreciate the info on Invisible units. Until now I've not had to ever use them but should I not find any other solutions I may have to.

2) Yes I'm trying to get a simple script to Display Text for All Players when a unit enters a region from ANY direction, BUT IT DOESN'T. When I load the game up and CLEARLY enter the Region from the NORTH (Top of map) or West (Left side of the Map)NO TEXT APPEARS, so the obviously EASY, begginer script I have going here is either being interacted with, or affected by, some other script or is just acting weird.

My only questions are:

1)What things might interact with it?
2)Are there ANY global settings or looping script combos that can make the simple event: Unit - A unit enters Region XXX <gen> Not Trigger from Certain Directions? (No I don't use scripts that restrict units to entering while facing certain angles, but I might try events that look for certain degree spreads since some regions are only accessible from certain directions)
3)Are ther any other solutions to getting the same result?

If you don't know what I'm trying to convey simply say so, and I will be moving on after I hopefully find a solution to my problem thankyou.

ManyTimes

I'm so lonesome I could cry...
Reaction score
<>Please don't tell me that a triggers works fine if CLEARLY in the FIRST post I >>say it Doesn't! I may be new to the site but I'm no noob to the editor.
The trigger of yours, works just perfectly.
Create a new map
Create a region
Create a unit outside it
Create a new trigger with:
Code:
event - a unit enters your region
condition - none
actions - game display text to all players ....

Upload the map.

Edit: I bet my left leg on that the trigger in the first post is not even like the real trigger. So, next time, bring us facts, not gibberish. Next posts, try to shorten them down, not many wants to read that, not even I read it... Not even 50% of it. Sorry if you find it harsh.

O

Omegas

<>Please don't tell me that a triggers works fine if CLEARLY in the FIRST post I >>say it Doesn't! I may be new to the site but I'm no noob to the editor.
The trigger of yours, works just perfectly.
Create a new map
Create a region
Create a unit outside it
Create a new trigger with:
Code:
event - a unit enters your region
condition - none
actions - game display text to all players ....

Upload the map.

Is there a way I can send the map to you? I don't want to upload to a mass without the map being finished.

EDIT: I fixed the problem by placing tiny (Unused) regions on the outside of the regions that weren't registering and the text appears! I also moved the boundaries so that the rgion lies perfecly flat (wasn't flat before) and non of the boundaries are in unpassable terrain (some boundaries shared impassable terrain before). Thanks to all who have helped !! +rep

O

Omegas

Edit: I bet my left leg on that the trigger in the first post is not even like the real trigger. So, next time, bring us facts, not gibberish. Next posts, try to shorten them down, not many wants to read that, not even I read it... Not even 50% of it. Sorry if you find it harsh.

I'll try to shorten the posts a bit sorry but I thought the more info the easier it would be to help solve.

Quite frankly though wether you believe what I have to say or not I don't care... I came with a problem and looked for a solution or anyones best guess... If what I had to say, seemed to you, like a waste of time, just don't post... Tell me what I'd gain from giving you False information on the first post??????? You make no sense.

And for the record someone other than I DID suggest the game doesn't always read "unit enters region" triggers exactly right ALL the time, which is EXACTLY what the problem was.

Anyway again thanks for everyone's help, as I've finally got ALL the malfunctioning regions working from ALL directions now I can finally continue with the map!! :D +rep everyone

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.