Unit Pitch/Roll?

emootootoo

Top Banana
Reaction score
Where's the equiv to maximum pitch/roll from world editor to rotate a unit sideways and stuff? If there is one anyway.

Derek0

Reaction score
Perhaps this will help you:

http://forums.sc2mapster.com/development/map-development/902-rotating-units-around-x-or-y-axis/#p16

It works by sending actor messages to the unit, to set it's rotation based on pitch, roll, and yaw. The only problem is if you move a unit instantly, it resets the angles.

If anyone knows of another way to do this where it doesn't reset after moving the unit, please tell us.

EDIT: 2 other problems with this solution.
1) Roll seems to do nothing. The above thread noted this but they didn't seem to get it working.
2) If you apply the gPitch to a camera's Angle of Attack, it's inverted. The camera moves one way and the actor moves the other.

I'm to good with trigonometry, if anyone has a solution to these please post.

Trigger is as follows: (taken from the map in the above thread)
Trigger:
  • Rotate Actor to Deg
    • Options: Action
    • Return Type: (None)
    • Parameters
      • Unit = No Unit <Unit>
      • Roll = 0.0 <Real>
      • Yaw = 0.0 <Real>
      • Pitch = 0.0 <Real>
    • Grammar Text: Rotate Actor to Deg(Player, Roll, Yaw, Pitch)
    • Hint Text: (None)
    • Custom Script Code
    • Local Variables
      • Actor = (Actor for Unit) <Actor>
      • ForwardX = (Cos(Yaw)) <Real>
      • ForwardY = (Sin(Yaw)) <Real>
      • ForwardZ = (Sin(Pitch)) <Real>
      • UpX = (Cos(Roll)) <Real>
      • UpY = (Sin(Roll)) <Real>
      • UpZ = (Cos(Pitch)) <Real>
    • Actions
      • Actor - Send message (SetRotation ForwardX ForwardY ForwardZ UpX UpY UpZ) to actor Actor

emootootoo

Top Banana
Reaction score
managed to atleast keep the units rotation while moving it with a timer

Code:
p = Point(x,y);
        if (ModI(Guys[i].count,2) == 0)
        {
            libNtve_gf_ShowHideUnit(Guys[i].theGuy,true);
            UnitSetPosition(Guys[i].theGuy,p,false);
            ActorSend(libNtve_gf_MainActorofUnit(Guys[i].theGuy2),libNtve_gf_SetRotation(0,-1,10,0,0,0));
            libNtve_gf_ShowHideUnit(Guys[i].theGuy2,false);
        }
        else
        {
            libNtve_gf_ShowHideUnit(Guys[i].theGuy2,true);
            UnitSetPosition(Guys[i].theGuy2,p,false);
            ActorSend(libNtve_gf_MainActorofUnit(Guys[i].theGuy),libNtve_gf_SetRotation(0,-1,10,0,0,0));
            libNtve_gf_ShowHideUnit(Guys[i].theGuy,false);
        }

just have to use two units, and alternate them every timer tick so that their rotation is set the tick before they are moved

still, this is dodgy as hell and nowhere near usable for much

if the last 3 params actually did something it might actually be usable

the only thing i can see this being useful for is if you need something to lie on its back and possibly code its movement

edit: vid of my map, you should realise why i want this now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFMsnSvb6ZQ

Derek0

Reaction score
I think I may be on to something, but I can't see to get it to work.

I've found that under the actor's "Hosting - Host Site Operations" field in the data editor, there's an option to hold rotation. It looks like if I can turn it on, I can move the unit without resetting the rotation, but I need to turn it off to set the rotation. I've found the actor message that allows me to turn this on and off, but I don't know what to give it. Here's what I have:

Trigger:
  • Actions
    • Actor - Send message (HostSiteOpsSet "::Host" "SOpBankerViking" 0 0) to actor Actor
    • Actor - Send message (SetRotation ForwardX ForwardY ForwardZ UpX UpY UpZ) to actor Actor
    • Actor - Send message (HostSiteOpsSet "::Host" "SOpBankerViking" 0 1) to actor Actor

But it keeps telling me it's invalid. I'm using the viking model, and in the data editor the Operations field just has "SOpBankerViking". The first number seems to be Hold Position, and the second seems to be Hold Rotation. In the hint text for the HostSiteOpsSet message, it says that the Host Name is typically ::Host, so that's what I put.

I must be doing something wrong. Anyone know what it is?

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
Use the Site Operation - Explicit Rotation actor.

Just add it to the actor of the unit you want to roll. No need for triggers.

Derek0

Reaction score
That seems to work for a constant rotation, which I think is what emootootoo is asking for. My problem is a little more advanced.

I require my unit to rotate on key press. I added that to my actor, and now when I move the unit instantly, the units model flickers between a forward facing unit and whatever I have rotated it to after the map started.

I'm currently ignoring the roll problem, I'll adapt around it. Fixing the pitch was easy. The only problem that remains is that the rotation resets on movement. Which is why I need to find out a way to hold the rotation while I move it.

EDIT: I found the "Host" option I'm supposed to use for HostSiteOpsSet, it's under Preset. Only problem is, when I try to save it it calls it a Syntax Error. Is this a bug?

emootootoo

Top Banana
Reaction score
how does one add an actor to an actor?

tried adding the site operation - explicit rotation actor to my main unit actor as an alias but that didn't work, and i don't really see anything else that looks like the right way to add it

wingdnosring

Reaction score
Yeah I'd like to know how to do this too. How do you add a constant pitch/roll rotation to an actor? I see the Site Operation field mentioned and can click Hold Rotation (which may or may not fix the problem of it resetting on movement?) but couldn't find Explicit Rotation Actor.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.