Units in range?

Kazuga

Let the game begin...
Reaction score
Hello, I need a similar action as seen in WC3: Set Group = Units In Range Matching something something. I have searched in the trigger editor over and over again and tried to come up with other ways to solve it, but I can't seem to find a solution... The only within range I can find is an event "Unit comes within range of", which refers to a specific unit... Anyone know of a solution to this?

Cheekything

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Use an aura effect like the mothership's cloak.

then use that so when a unit is effected by the cloak it triggers whatever

Arkless

Reaction score
use "units in region" and "convert circle to region" (dunno if those are the exact names)

if you need a complex condition, just do a "pick every unit in group" afterwards, and remove all units that do not fit

edit: note that circular regions are not 100% exact, if you use very small circles you, chose your radius + 1 and then do a distance check via "pick ever unit in group" and remove those too far away

Kazuga

Let the game begin...
Reaction score
To Cheekything: Could you explain to me a little bit more how this effect detection works? Or link me to a guide if there is one... Haven't been working any with the effect part in the data editor yet. =/

To: Arkless: How well does this work with the detection? It must work well with sliding like triggers such as a missile detecting weather or not it has hit something yet.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
What exactly are you looking to do? I can't seem to find any straight-forward mechanism for doing what you're looking for in the Trigger Editor (there is a Find Units thing, but it seems to be specific to a single Unit Type), but a periodic Buff Behavior executing a Search Area effect would work if you're trying to handle projectile collision.

As Cheekything said, an aura-esque mechanism should work quite well - there's at least 2 ways of doing it, either with a Create Persistent effect repeatedly executing a Search Area effect (AFAIK, the Create Persistent effect must be added via triggers, or another effect, which makes it the more troublesome method IMO) or through a Buff behaviour which is set up to do the same thing as above - since behaviours can be applied to the unit through the Data Editor (in pretty much the same way as you would've added abilities to a unit in WC3/SC2, so that part is a very simple process), it makes it a little easier and you can immediately see what units are associated with what 'detectors'.

And, depending on how you set it up, all these things can be 'caught' by Trigger Editor events (namely, Unit Takes Damage) because of the ability for the Unit Takes Damage event to single out specific Effects as the damage source.

I have a (barely) working demo map of an unguided projectile with target collision made solely with the Data Editor, if you wish to take a look.

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
What exactly are you looking to do? I can't seem to find any straight-forward mechanism for doing what you're looking for in the Trigger Editor (there is a Find Units thing, but it seems to be specific to a single Unit Type), but a periodic Buff Behavior executing a Search Area effect would work if you're trying to handle projectile collision.

As Cheekything said, an aura-esque mechanism should work quite well - there's at least 2 ways of doing it, either with a Create Persistent effect repeatedly executing a Search Area effect (AFAIK, the Create Persistent effect must be added via triggers, or another effect, which makes it the more troublesome method IMO) or through a Buff behaviour which is set up to do the same thing as above - since behaviours can be applied to the unit through the Data Editor (in pretty much the same way as you would've added abilities to a unit in WC3/SC2, so that part is a very simple process), it makes it a little easier and you can immediately see what units are associated with what 'detectors'.

And, depending on how you set it up, all these things can be 'caught' by Trigger Editor events (namely, Unit Takes Damage) because of the ability for the Unit Takes Damage event to single out specific Effects as the damage source.

I have a (barely) working demo map of an unguided projectile with target collision made solely with the Data Editor, if you wish to take a look.

I would like to take a look at this map.

Arkless

Reaction score
To: Arkless: How well does this work with the detection? It must work well with sliding like triggers such as a missile detecting weather or not it has hit something yet.
If you chose to use a region bigger then the one you need and do a rangecheck afterwards it's 100% accurate but in case you want to do colission checks, you should rather create a buff (behaviour) with a periodic effect. This effect should be a search area with the given range.

The trigger editor will always be slower then the data editor, so if you simply want to collide stuff, you should stick to the data editor. For more complex stuff you should stick to the trigger editor.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
I would like to take a look at this map.

As you wish - I haven't implemented an Attack Ground ability (since I'm uncertain of how to do it) so the only 'easy' way to demonstrate the fact that there is no guidance was to increase the Rate of Fire on the weapon so a projectile would launch before the target died from the previous one (or target the unit that is 'hidden' behind another enemy)

Download Link

As I said before, it is barely working - there's a small issue with collision (an oversight, on my part, with the collision detection frequency) whereby a unit may not register collision with the projectile if it moves at the projectile, and an odd issue where units seem to take damage twice (still haven't figured that one out)... there are a few bits and pieces left over from various attempted 'enhancements', but I've outlined the purpose of the most important stuff in a trigger within the Trigger Editor.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.