Unlocking online custom maps

ThySpektre

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
This is always a touchy subject, but I used to be a WC3 map maker who learned a good bit of his trade by studying other maps.

Is there currently a way to open an Arcade custom map in the galaxy editor?

The methods I have seen referenced online using the s2ma_manager no longer seems to work.

Thanks.

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
If they're not locked, you can open them just like a regular map. Go into the editor and press open and switch to the battle.net tab. Search for the map you want, download it and open it.

If it's locked, it's another story. Basically, you can find the map script on your computer somewhere but that's about it. I don't think you'll be able to open it in the editor.

ThySpektre

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Thanks.

I was able to open the map and play it, however the map uses a bank file. I have found the bank file but the two things seem out of sync now. Any ideas how to point the map file's script to the bank file?

Thanks again.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
The only reference a mapper can make to a Bank File within the SC2 Editor is via the Bank File's name - and changing this will mostly likely not help you. If you are trying is load your "online" bank file when playing offline, you can do this by physically coping the bank file from you Account folder (My Documents\Starcraft II\Accounts\[Some numbers]\[Some more numbers]\Banks\) to your offline banks folder (My Documents\Starcraft II\Banks\)
Note that if the map uses Verification function on the Bank file, then you will need to remove this action in map. Also it will mean that you cannot use the bank file that you have used offline online again.

ThySpektre

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Thanks. When I looked in the "local" location it had a correctly named file, so evidently the map generated a new bank file when I tested it. I copied the "online" one there anyway and the same error occurred. I think I'm going to need some more high powered help with this one, if anyone wants to lend a hand.

Dave312

Reaction score
It sounds to me like the map has a Verification feature in it which is causing a new bank file to be created. You need to go though the trigger editor and find and delete the verification function.

Siretu

Reaction score
And here we kind of reach a gray zone. According to the rules, we don't support map deprotection. You can try circumventing the map's verifications and such, but us helping you could be considered against the rules. We'll at least need more concrete information on what you're trying to do. Which map? What are you trying to learn? etc.

Dave312

Reaction score
I don't think this is really considered map deprotection. If he was able to open the map in the editor, then the map wasn't locked and the author was happy for someone else to look through it and play around with it. The bank file verification is an inbuilt feature designed to stop players cheating online, it really has nothing to do with overall map protection.

You are the Moderator though Siretu so I guess it is up to you whether is breaches the rules.

Siretu

Reaction score
ThySpektre sent me a PM that says basically the same thing as his second post. I notice now that I read it again that I might've misinterpreted it.

"-redacted-"

At first, I interpreted it like he unlocked the map by extracting the triggers as galaxy and that it wasn't published as open. Now, I'm not so sure.

ThySpektre, please tell us which map it is so we can check for ourselves.

If it was published as open, it is fine.

ThySpektre

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Based on what I have been able to find online, since the map came into the editor sans triggers my guess would be it is protected. I don't agree with anti-map deprotection rules, but if they are the rules of the site I will look for help elsewhere.

ThySpektre

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
You may however review your guidelines on posting private messages in the forum without permission.

Siretu

Reaction score
You may however review your guidelines on posting private messages in the forum without permission.

You are completely right in this regard, and although in this case I think you would agree that it doesn't really matter, it was not at all my call to make. I've removed the PM quote from my earlier post, and I apologize for it.

Based on what I have been able to find online, since the map came into the editor sans triggers my guess would be it is protected. I don't agree with anti-map deprotection rules, but if they are the rules of the site I will look for help elsewhere.

If you were able to open it in the editor by going to the Battle.net tab and found the map by searching for it in the editor, it is not protected and it is therefore not at all against the rules.. The fact that you didn't find the triggers does not mean that it is protected in this case.

I would suggest you go into the import module and see if there's any imported scripts. It could've been inserted directly into the map script so try checking the checkbox to show default stuff as well (Can't remember exactly what it's called. Been a long time since I did that kind of stuff)

ThySpektre

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Thank for removing the PM.

Actually, I found the map in the old cache files, so I am not sure if it is in the Battle.net tab. I'll look for it.

I have read a protected map will not import into the editor so perhaps it is not protected. There is nothing however in the trigger editor. I only see galaxy script code.

I did find where the bank file is being verified and bypassed that, but the map still does not run as expected. Thinking that perhaps trying to play single player was causing the strange behavior, I reuploaded the map and tried to play it. The map includes a tutorial mode. Only the PLAY TUTORIAL button is active in the lobby. Both the PLAY and CREATE game buttons are grayed out. Also a screen shot is missing (but was there when last played online)

Strange to be sure.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.