US News 'Unplanned' outages hit Texas power plants in soaring temperatures

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Officials with Texas' power grid operator pleaded with residents Monday to limit their electrical usage amid soaring temperatures and a series of mechanical problems at power plants.

The appeal, from the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, or ERCOT, comes four months after deadly blackouts during a winter storm left millions of people without power — and weeks after state legislators passed a package of measures aimed at fixing some of the problems exposed by the storm.

Officials with the nonprofit group, which oversees 90 percent of Texas' energy production, asked residents to set their thermostats higher, turn off lights and avoid using larger appliances until Friday.

A spokeswoman for the group told reporters that the outages accounted for more than 12,000 megawatts, enough to power 2.4 million homes. Some areas of the state, including Dallas and Tarrant counties, were warned about poor air quality and potentially dangerous heat, with the heat index approaching 110 degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The power people are asking people to put there ACs on 78. LOL freaking nobody here in Houston is going to do that. It is freaking hot out there.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Offered without comment:

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
ted_cruz_california_tweets.jpeg

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah yes, here we see the typical politician wherein any failing of your own state is clearly a result of misfortune and "unforeseeable events" while anything wrong with other states is obviously total incompetence on the part of those in charge.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
My AC is on 66 we have all bills paid here and IDKAF! Why am I posting this on a year old post because it is the same thing every year here in Texas. The only time it fails is when it gets super cold and the cheap ass electric company did not winterize its plants. Just saying.... :)

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
My AC is on 66 we have all bills paid here and IDKAF! Why am I posting this on a year old post because it is the same thing every year here in Texas. The only time it fails is when it gets super cold and the cheap ass electric company did not winterize its plants. Just saying.... :)

Only time that sucked really was last year when that freeze hit, I had copper piping burst in my walls, so I tore the wall out and soldered in new pipe and replaced the old piping. Other than that, yeah nah I'm not gonna set my thermostat higher and live in the unbearable heat. Power can go off for a little bit and it still won't get as hot as 78 that quickly til it comes back on.

My power went out for like 2 days when it was 11 degrees or whatever it was and my house never went below 60 degrees inside with no heat.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
We lost power for a few days and water for about a week. Luckily no pipes burst or whatever at our condos but the point is we have plenty of power if the electric companies just winterize there stuff. I am ok with losing power for a week every 10 years or so to get this all bills paid deal I have at the place I am at now :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.