World Unrest in the Middle East

Slayer4000X2008

That guy from Canada
Reaction score
k imagine this. We are trying to revolt against the Canadian government, and they decide to fire back at us, and all of a sudden Spain comes in trying to help us and throwing around their influences while they are at it, just because it is affecting their maple syrup prices.

Your comparing maple syrup with oil? I'm sorry but that is very retarded, that was a comparison that should never have been made. Let's look at this, maple syrup goes on food to make it taste better. Why, well because you can. Oil is needed for developed nations like: Canada, US, UK, Australia, etc. to function. Oil is our primary source of fuel and without it, sooner or later things could go to shit. I still believe forgeign aid is needed over there, and I hope that aid will come soon.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Your comparing maple syrup with oil? I'm sorry but that is very retarded, that was a comparison that should never have been made. Let's look at this, maple syrup goes on food to make it taste better. Why, well because you can. Oil is needed for developed nations like: Canada, US, UK, Australia, etc. to function. Oil is our primary source of fuel and without it, sooner or later things could go to shit. I still believe forgeign aid is needed over there, and I hope that aid will come soon.
Maple syrup wasn't the point, the point was a foreign power intervening in a localised conflict. Say, if China suddenly threw its weight about in a war between England and France.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score

Like Wiseman said.

Ok lets put it into oil terms if your so all over it. Say spain says screw the middle east, and starts buying all its oil from canada (we have the 2nd largest amount after SaudiArabia). We are trying to revolt against the Canadian government, and they decide to fire back at us, and all of a sudden Spain comes in trying to help us and throwing around their influences while they are at it, just because it is affecting their [del]maple syrup[/del] oil prices.

Now you can worry about the main problem: Foreign intervention rather than maple syrup.

Slayer4000X2008

That guy from Canada
Reaction score
Maple syrup wasn't the point, the point was a foreign power intervening in a localised conflict. Say, if China suddenly threw its weight about in a war between England and France.

As I said in another post, there are times when such involment is needed. If China went to war with England and France while they were at war that would be a different story but if they chose to help one of the two then I don't see any problem with it.

Like Wiseman said.

Ok lets put it into oil terms if your so all over it. Say spain says screw the middle east, and starts buying all its oil from canada (we have the 2nd largest amount after SaudiArabia). We are trying to revolt against the Canadian government, and they decide to fire back at us, and all of a sudden Spain comes in trying to help us and throwing around their influences while they are at it, just because it is affecting their [del]maple syrup[/del] oil prices.

Now you can worry about the main problem: Foreign intervention rather than maple syrup.

Same thing as I just said to Wiseman. Now I will focus more on spain coming in and getting involved in a civil war here (I'm about to get historical on you here). Around the time of WW2 (before or after I don't remember) Spain was in a civil war, know who got involved in that. Canadians, why, because we knew this was a time when they NEEDED foreign aid. Korea was a civil war, foreign aid was needed and was given. This is another of those times, with Spain and Korea aid was needed for them, but if they didn't get it well other countries wouldn't had been effected the way they are now. This time aid is needed more, so why not give it. I stand by my beliefs, you can go ahead and stand by yours, don't bother me none.

*Directed at both of you* Your right I did miss the point. Such things are not my strong point, so I apologize for missing the point (hopefully I didn't miss it again).

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
I just don't feel that other countries should interfere in foreign things that don't pertain to them.

That said I am NOT saying that the UN shouldn't intervene. I think they need Peacekeepers over there.
And on that note GJ on the UN for passing the no-fly zone over Libya. Go people of Libya.
Although it sorta makes me wonder... Egypt, Libya and all those other countries got those leaders through revolution. Lets hope history just doesn't repeat itself.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
They should be. They're protecting their interests. Perhaps a little better than syrup: say someone could possibly give you a lot of money for very little in exchange. And someone is planning on hurting and/or killing the other person and taking control of what could be a flow of money to you. Would it not be in your common sense to protect the one you want to win if you have the ability to do so?

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
well if i was a politican obv but im looking at this through the eyes of a civilian (me).

Slayer4000X2008

That guy from Canada
Reaction score
Well it seems what I wanted to happen has happened. Canada, America, France, Britian, and Italy (maybe more, not sure) have declared war on Gaddafi.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Several countries from the Arab Nations have also pedged support (cannot remember which ones though). This is a good thing, as it will no longer seem like total Western intervention, showing that we are not the only ones who want Gaddafi's head on a spike.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Libya: US, UK and France attack Gaddafi forces

The UK, US and France have attacked Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi's forces in the first action to enforce a UN-mandated no-fly zone.

Pentagon officials say the US and the UK have fired more than 110 missiles, while French planes struck pro-Gaddafi forces attacking rebel-held Benghazi.

Col Gaddafi has vowed retaliation and said he would open arms depots to the people to defend Libya.

Cruise missiles hit air-defence sites in the capital, Tripoli, and Misrata.

More.

Varine

Reaction score
Let's move the forces that are in Iraq out of Iraq since that was supposed to be done with like two years ago, and just put them in Libya? At least they'd have something to do.

Slayer4000X2008

That guy from Canada
Reaction score
There's more then just Iraq going on in the Middle East. There is also the war in Afganistan. Now Afganistan has so far been more of a success (or so it seems the way I look at it), so why send troops from Iraq to Libya? Libya is far more likely to be over quickly sence we can identify enemy fighters on sight, Afganistan however that is not the case. They need more troops over there, especially sense Canada is ending it's combat rule in June. I say if we take any troops from Irag they should be either: A) Sent home or B) Sent to Afganistan. Atleast that's my opinion, I see Libya has less of a priority.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Deaths as Syrian forces fire on protesters

[YOUTUBE]H9_BOjkD2wY[/YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9_BOjkD2wY

Syrian security forces have opened fire on anti-government protesters in the city of Sanamin near Daraa, killing at least 20 people, according to one witness.

"There are more than 20 martyrs .... they [security forces] opened fire haphazardly," the witness told Al Jazeera on Friday.

Rula Amin, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Damascus, said Syrian forces apparently fired after protesters set fire to a statue of the late president, Hafez al-Assad.

Footage on YouTube also showed protesters in the cental square of Daraa dismantling a portrait of his son, Bashar al-Assad, the current president.

Read the news here.

Varine

Reaction score
God damn it. This is almost EXACTLY what happens in our game's storyline. Way to go RL, you took a great piece of fiction I wrote, and now it's not original. Now we're just copying what happened.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Yemeni militants seize control of weapons factory

SANAA, Yemen (AP) - Islamic militants seized control of a weapons factory, a strategic mountain and a nearby town in the southern Yemen province of Abyan Sunday, said a witness and security officials, as a political stalemate in the capital causes security to unravel around the country.

The fragile nation has been rocked by weeks of mass protests against the long-serving president Ali Abdullah Saleh, who refuses to step down.

Saleh's fate is of deep concern to the U.S. as he is a key ally in the fight against al-Qaida, but with his attention on massive anti-government protests in the capital, security has declined in the provinces.

Residents of the southern Abyan province said police reduced their presence in towns weeks ago. Elsewhere, residents have pushed out police and soldiers and set up their own local militias for self defense.

More.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.