Upgrade abilities and editor speed

FellishBeast

Reaction score
Hi!

So I was decent at the WC3 editor and am now, finally, trying to get into the SC2 editor. I like to figure out stuff for my self, for the most part, but I'm wondering if anyone could help me with a couple quick questions.

The game type I'm working on (something I'm trying to translate from wc3) allows the player to upgrade their spells to more powerful versions as they acquire currency. Is there any way to create multiple versions of the same spell and just upgrade it as they research? Or is there another way you have to do it. I've searched for info on this, but I can't find anything. Maybe I'm not wording it well.

My other question is about the speed of the editor. It feels really sluggish. I remember certain data changes took quite a while on the WC3 editor, but I'm just wondering if there is any way to remove the delays when clicking on items or modifying values in the data editor.

Thanks. I hope I was clear x]

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
If you only need like 3 upgrade levels for the abilities, the easiest would be to have 3 different abilities, and then place them on the same spot in the command card, and then hide them with requirements, the same way it's done stimpack for marines.

So have level 2 be hid when level 1 and 3 is reseached. And then do it for all the levels.

When you say research, I assume you mean research in another building, but if you want that traditional level up mechanic from Wc3, it's another topic, which can also easily be solved :)

For the slow editor, there is not really any way to solve it, as far as I know /: It's a matter of the processing speed of your computer.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
I would make each ability levelable, and then when a player buys an upgrade, increase the current level of that ability (similar to WC3 except you just purchase the next level rather than learn it).

As far as the editor being slow, it can be sometimes, especially depending on your PC specs. In the data editor, try changing the view to Table View. I find Detail View tends to be a bit slower to refresh.

FellishBeast

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses.

Yeah, I'm not interested in using the hero level system for this mechanic at this time. I'd like it to be researched by the unit itself or a separate building. Or can that system be rearranged to get the results I want?

I currently have a trigger that disables one ability and then enables another, but I'm hoping to have 10+ ranks of this spell, so if there is another way, I'd rather do that, I think.

How do I make an ability levelable? Is that a property in the data? I looked around for something like that, but it's all been quite overwhelming to get into.

I have an 8 core processor, and the editor never uses more than 15% of my max CPU load. Could that be due to the editor being 32-bit? I'll try table view, though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.