Upgrading from Vista 64bit to Windows 7 64bit

Saintbob

Reaction score
How hard is it?

Im not a complete wizz at computers, and i dont have a complete list of the hardware i have, but im managing to play Starcraft 2 and crysis on max settings, whilst running on Vista 64bit.

But i was told that Windows 7 is soooo much better than vista, and would if installed free tons of memory, and make the whole operating system run faster and smoother.

How easy is it to Upgrade, is it just a straight insert CD follow on screen instruction like installing a game?
Or am i required to re-format the computer first then put Windows 7 on after?

Any advice is appreciated thanks.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Upgrading to Vista/7 from XP/Vista has become much simpler than it used to be to install an OS. In fact, if you boot from the CD, it actually has an upgrade option (if you're going from x86 to x86 or x64 to x64). I believe that when you're doing an upgrade from Vista to 7, it's even supposed to be able to upgrade while running.

Newer computers shouldn't have any hardware incompatabilities. The Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor is supposed to be able to identify any incompatibilities (even if you don't know your hardware), though I don't have any personal experience with how well it works.

As long as you're not switching from x86 to x64 (or vice versa) there is no formatting required, and besides the reboot to start the installation (and possibly another later on), it's very simple.

Saintbob

Reaction score
Thanks, so basically boot from CD follow instructions.

How about games such as Starcraft 2? and Internet settings and personal documents, will they all remain and now be attuned for Windows 7?
Or would i need to re-install the games.? and set everything else up again?

Thanks.

azareus

And you know it.
Reaction score
Most of it will be saved in a folder called windows.old.
However, re-installing programs is generally a good idea.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.