Urban Tactics

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
Urban Tactics : Members Needed (Urban Warfare AOS)

Hey guys im begginning work on a project on my free time.

Urban Tactics
This is a modern day aos/strategy game.
Here are some things im gonna incorporate into the game.

-will be urban like enviroment(buildings,skyscrapers,construction sites...)
-there will be (4 players[per team] who get to be a certain unit and then 1 player[per
team]) will be
a commander, a commander is elected at the begginning of the game and
gets to control all of the "creep units" and can build structeres, im also
gonna try to implement a system where the commander can quickly give
orders to his team where it will display a message and ping the minimap.
-it will be based off an aos but there will be alot of strategy involved, yes
there will be "reincforcements spawning" but there will also be alot of thinking
involved. The commander will have to manage the team resources, take care
of his troops and overall win the urban war. The players have to try to stay
alive and across the entire map will be tactical advantages. crates and
sandbags will make u harder to hit, walls will stop vision, and all of the units
will be skinned to blend in with the enviroment and the hero blips on the
minimap will be disabled.
-The commander will view the battlefield from a top down view and will be
able to call in airstrikes, build armories, airstrips, special weapons facilities,
hospitals, upgrade buildings, and plan out attacks, he will organize his team
together and make sure they are effective. This game will require alot of
teamwork to be successful and to win u need to work together ^_^
-I am thinking to have various locations around the map that give a
diplomatic advantage and will boost the resources, morale, and strength of
your force.

-I still have many things to mention and i will be accepting members to the project shortly. For now , tell me what you think, say if this has done before, and maybe even mention if u would like to join, even thought im not accepting people onto the project just yet here are some fields required.

Modeller/animator/- since warcraft 3 is a fantasy game modern urban models will be hard to come by, having people that can do this will be very helpful.

Triggerer- I will be doing a majority of the triggers but to have extra help and people who can do jass and find mistakes would be awesome :)

Unit Creator- i can balance units pretty well to overall make the game enjoyable, but again im not the best :D so it would be nice to have people create some "planned out" units and make sure they are not too strong or weak.

Game Artist- it would be pretty cool to have a custom loading screen and interface =)

Icon creator- Surprisingly , warcraft 3 doesnt give u much modern icons(sarcasm)

Item creator- not a sought out field and i can pretty manage it with ease, but if creating item is ur thing, mention it :D

thats all i can think of and this will be a big project, if your even thinking of joining make sure that u have alot of free time , and have AIM or Email, some requirements are that u are on 3/7 of the days between 4:00 pm pacific and 8:00 pm pacific, k well post ur comments and or resumes :D and ill be back shortly with more information and i will begin accepting members very soon.
(eek sry i know how much you all hate to read long paragraphs. :banghead: )

Added ideas- planes flying through the city at mapped out times

Members list-
Me- pretty much every field
Rad- Skinning
Emiljr- Custom Spells

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
if you haven't looked at my past posts in this area....will there be custom spells??? :)

emjlr3

Reaction score
I didn't get your joke, prolly cuz im just a tard...but if so, and you need help with them, count me in, im bored, and want neat new things to do other than :banghead: man this hurts....

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
so are u like pro at custom spells? an example or 2 of you work in that field would be nice.

emjlr3

Reaction score
check some of them out at wc3sear.ch or check out my AOS on this site, 95% of the spells in it are mine

Rad

Reaction score
I got the stuff to skin... not really a 'pro' but I can get some nice skins if I know what Im actually doing... Not very creative though... so some references could be nice.

Heres an example of my work... And no I do not have AIM, I have MSN messenger I reccomend you get it because its the best :D
druid6jp.png
==>
druid.JPG

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
ook rad and emil u guys are on my list so when i decide to start sending out "invitations" ull be first to get on the team if u still wish to do so by then ^_^

emjlr3

Reaction score
Rad said:
I got the stuff to skin... not really a 'pro' but I can get some nice skins if I know what Im actually doing... Not very creative though... so some references could be nice.

Heres an example of my work... And no I do not have AIM, I have MSN messenger I reccomend you get it because its the best :D
druid6jp.png
==>
druid.JPG

not bad i am impressed :shades:

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
guys i have begun actual planning and terraining of the map, once the "rough" terrain is done i will being work on some basic triggers, since no one has really had much interest on this then i will do most of the work, when i finish a couple of the heros emil i will give u some spell ideas and maybe u could create them with triggers =) then when the heros are done rad it would be awesome if u could reskin the models to have urban camo. Hopefully more ppl would like to join the project then i wouldnt be stuck with so much work @.@ so yeah u 2 wait a bit more and let me finish the outline so u can help with something =)

Rad

Reaction score
Hehe yea they are pretty cool, that house/train one looks very strange though :eek:.

For future reference shrink the images to 800x600 at least, or 512x512. Those are huge and have succesfully stretched your entire thread out way to much ;)

The one with the trees, its to thick and will lag many people to death.

With buildings that tall the classic wc3 view aint gonna help out either :rolleyes:

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
The camera view i have set up and the way i made the skysrapers, its gonna work fine, originally the buildings were selectable , which would obvuisly make it really hard to click on some areas, so i made it so u can select them and then for the camera , it doesnt let u see the tops of the buildings but it wont really let the buildings get in the way either, ive tested the terrain out with some of my firends using generic war3 models and we had all out wars in almost every part of the city, to my knowledge there is no part in the terrain that will lag @.@ btw if u 2 dont mind(rad and emil) im gonna officialy add u to the project(honorary list :D) and emil, i wont need any spells for awhile but rad itd be nice if we could start work on some of those skins, could u give me ur AIM or MSN contact name?

BTW itd be really nice to get some more members on the project :eek:

and some cool things im adding to my ideas list are planes flying through the city at mapped out times, and some select skyscrapers, if in vicinity of a airstrike(commander ability) will actually be raised. And i didn't do a good job of showing this, but theres a wall surrounding the city, maybe some "demolitions" experts could get past pieces of it @.@

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
Alright, i have finished the terrain completely, i have added a multiboard trigger, a beginning short "tutorial" if u will, i have added hero taverns, and i have decided that for each team, one random player will be selected as commander, the commander, unlike his allies who manage a single unit, will manage a base, like in rts games. I have also finished the revive triggers, the player gold triggers (its even if one team has handicap), i have added lil kill streak triggers EX:firstblood,doublekill,etc, for that added fun, i have created 2 units, a sniper and a marine, and so far its turning out great.

I am still looking for people to join, and im not sure if emil and rad REALLY wnt to be part of the project, i will be posting more screenshots in the near future. That is All. :)

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
OK here are some screenies , theyll give u a hint of what it will be like to be the Commander :D

Image1

Image2

Image3

Image4

Image5

Image6

I will be coming out with more screenies as i add in new features :D

Now like i said, Urban Tactics will be a AOS/RTS and it will be a first of its kind :D

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
You got a forum for this project? And if you dont, are you gunna make one? it seems far to major to build in 1 thread.

S

Slaughter

Definitely don't make the commander selection process random. Doing micro on many units is a burden, hence the popularity of AoS maps. If the players on a team agree on a commander, they should be able to choose him.

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
the origional idea was to make it a dialog based selection, but i just couldnt find a way for it to figure out which player got the most votes @.@

S

Slaughter

Well, one easy way is just to make it fixed, as in Red = commander, Green = commander, Blue-Purp-Teal = Red's troops, Oj-Grey-Pink = green's troops, DG and Brown = comp-controlled spawns (if there are any of those). Then players can hash it out in the waiting room instead of trying to decide after it starts.

I don't know dialog box triggers, so I'll tell you another way to do it, though it isn't that pretty: wisps and circles of power! Place a circle of power for each player, and give them each a wisp. Put regions at the circles. Send them a game-text message: you have 30 seconds to vote for the commander (w/e). wait 30 seconds. Pick each player and do multiple actions:

if (number of units in unit group(units of type(wisp) at region(pollingplace[player number of picked player]))) > int_votecounter, do multiple actions:

set int_votecounter = (number of units in unit group(units of type(wisp) at region(pollingplace[player number of picked player])))
set player_team1commander = picked player

So it goes through all the polling places (your circles of power) first nominating the first player in the list, but replacing him with any player who gets more votes. You would need something more complicated if you wanted to resolve ties randomly or allow a runoff, but you can pretty much get the idea from this.

This way is better than dialog boxes in that you can see other players' choices, and can chat while deciding. It is worse in that is will look clumsy and un-sleek.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.