Politics US: Biden vows to crack down on colleges 'jacking up costs' and causing student debt to spiral after Trump 'looked the other way'

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
President Joe Biden may have announced "one-time" broad student-loan forgiveness, but it's not the end of the road.

While the White House confirmed last week's announcement of up to $20,000 in student-loan forgiveness for Pell Grant recipients and other federal borrowers will be the only blanket student-loan relief borrowers will be getting, it also detailed plans to continue tackling student debt and higher education costs after debt cancellation is implemented.

"As a part of my announcement to get relief to Americans with student debt, I'm holding colleges accountable for jacking up costs without delivering value to students," Biden wrote on Twitter on Monday. "My predecessor looked the other way. My Administration is taking them on."

"We've terminated college accreditors that allowed colleges – like ITT and Corinthian – to defraud borrowers," he added. "@usedgov will also publish an annual list of colleges that leave students with unmanageable debt so that students can avoid these programs."

According to a White House fact sheet on Biden's loan forgiveness, the Education Department will "also propose a rule to hold career programs accountable for leaving their graduates with mountains of debt they cannot repay, a rule the previous Administration repealed."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Friday Night!
    +1
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday Night!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Going out of a town for the weekend will be back sunday night! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
    +2
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Monday!
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Monday? Speak for yourself. :p
    +2
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Taco Tuesday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Tacos! :)
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Check out the discord for taco pictures :) You cannot put pictures in this chat
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Damn here come the bots again - 193 online but they are totally invisible to any stats - bunch of bots!'
  • C cubanismo:
    Re: Taco Tuesday, if there were some way to share edible tacos over the internet, technology would be complete.
    +2
  • The Helper The Helper:
    One can only wish!
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I'm back from Taiwan
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am reorganizing the site I know nobody will notice but I am not done quite yet but the main forums order has been changed and there is a new news category in Other News which is all the remaining headline news stuff not categorized - Headline News is just the stuff that shows on the main page now and the news archive is off the main forums page
  • The Helper The Helper:
    and the real archive lives off of headline news
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Monday!

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.