Politics US: Biden vows to crack down on colleges 'jacking up costs' and causing student debt to spiral after Trump 'looked the other way'

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
President Joe Biden may have announced "one-time" broad student-loan forgiveness, but it's not the end of the road.

While the White House confirmed last week's announcement of up to $20,000 in student-loan forgiveness for Pell Grant recipients and other federal borrowers will be the only blanket student-loan relief borrowers will be getting, it also detailed plans to continue tackling student debt and higher education costs after debt cancellation is implemented.

"As a part of my announcement to get relief to Americans with student debt, I'm holding colleges accountable for jacking up costs without delivering value to students," Biden wrote on Twitter on Monday. "My predecessor looked the other way. My Administration is taking them on."

"We've terminated college accreditors that allowed colleges – like ITT and Corinthian – to defraud borrowers," he added. "@usedgov will also publish an annual list of colleges that leave students with unmanageable debt so that students can avoid these programs."

According to a White House fact sheet on Biden's loan forgiveness, the Education Department will "also propose a rule to hold career programs accountable for leaving their graduates with mountains of debt they cannot repay, a rule the previous Administration repealed."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.