Environment US: Colorado looks to legalize human composting — yes, your dead body could become garden soil

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Colorado is a couple of votes and one signature away from joining only Washington state in offering people the option to turn their human bodies into pounds of soil after death. It uses little energy and would cost about as much a cremation, but it would take some time for funeral homes to implement before Coloradans could use it.

If SB21-006 seems familiar, that’s because it didn’t make it through the session last year because of COVID, so sponsors decided to bring it back. They have company in other states, with California, Oregon and New York also considering human composting this year.

“It’s an innovative idea in a state that prides itself on natural beauty and opportunities,” Democratic Sen. Robert Rodriguez of Denver said. He is one of the bill sponsors.

Rodriguez, who was raised Catholic, said it’s not necessarily something he might want to do for himself, but he believes Coloradans should have a choice. He and the other sponsors on the bill, Democratic Rep. Brianna Titone of Arvada and GOP Rep. Matt Soper of Delta, said they have heard from people who are excited about the option.

Denver resident Wendy Deboskey is among them. Deboskey said her husband was urging their family to think about end-of-life plans because he had lost loved ones at young ages, but none of the current options appealed to her as an environmentalist.

She saw what Washington state was doing, and before she could start a petition to ask Colorado leaders to consider it, she found out Titone was already working on a bill.

“It just seems like a really kind of natural and gentle way to be completely returned to the earth, only on an expedited basis,” Deboskey said.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Good. When I die I want to buried around a tree so I can compost it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.