Environment US Forced to Drop 4 Unexploded Bombs on Great Barrier Reef

Nyph

Occasional News Reader
Reaction score
it's still leaving 2 tons of junk at a national heritage site - imagine how much pollution/trash 2 tons left behind is - that's the equivalent of how many tourists?
How much do ships weigh? And aren't shipwrecks good for coral growth n shit? You really can't compare solid encased bombshells with tourist trash.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
actually now that they plan to remove the bombs, im not as upset

How much do ships weigh? And aren't shipwrecks good for coral growth n shit? You really can't compare solid encased bombshells with tourist trash.

but ships don't just go there for the heck of it - it's a restricted area, really only research ships go there - the planes on the other hand were there on a whim - they can practice dropping bombs pretty much anywhere (it is the U.S. after all), but yet they managed to drop them in the reef

As long as they are unexploded I dont care :)

it's still bad, they will rust and then release whatever chemicals they had into the reef

Nyph

Occasional News Reader
Reaction score
Yeah, damn chemicals. Have you seen how much oxidane is dumped into the oceans these days?

OMGOMGOMG

UMBWGMG (Unidentified Human Being.)
Reaction score
I think we should clean up those giant trash islands, and not cause any more damage to the ocean as we have. The Ocean is a home for Sea creatures, not man to lay dump to.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I say pick up all the trash from the ocean and dump it on france.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
You are not seriously comparing a ~20kg shell found on land with a 500 pound bomb somewhere unspecified miles out in the sea...
I don't fucking compare anything. Can you ever imagine a "Entire Bridge" been stolen? No? Then think again! Seriously, someone who really want it "they would take it!"

OMGOMGOMG

Reaction score
You are not seriously comparing a ~20kg shell found on land with a 500 pound bomb somewhere unspecified miles out in the sea...
Actually... They're on the Great Barrier Reef. It would be easy to steal.. if you could get away with it...... Although that's an entirely different point.
My point being: It has a location, so your argument proves nothing, but you didn't read the damn post. You could get the miles (roughly) by searching up the Great Barrior Reef and the nearest land. (There's also something at the bottom of the map called a scale.) Also: I would prefer a bomb on land, than under the ocean. 500KG's worth of chemicals vs 50KG bombs (in groups of about 3-5)worth of gases... I think I'm gonna go for the latter...

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I think we should clean up those giant trash islands, and not cause any more damage to the ocean as we have. The Ocean is a home for Sea creatures, not man to lay dump to.

That's all well and good, but what's your alternative? Accname made a suggestions that I wouldn't have an issue with, but I don't live in or around France. What would you do to fix the problem? 'Cuz they've been kinda trying for a while now.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Shoot it to Jupiter.
But that's sad, whittling away our planet's mass like that.

I say we create technology to beam energy into trash and turn it all into atoms. Then use those atoms and put them together to form the materials we need.

Synthesis ftw.

KMilz

Reaction score
Shoot it to Jupiter.
But that's sad, whittling away our planet's mass like that.

I say we create technology to beam energy into trash and turn it all into atoms. Then use those atoms and put them together to form the materials we need.

Synthesis ftw.

We're a far way off from rearranging materials at an atomic level into usable materials at a realistic rate, so I'd say Jupiter is probably the better bet. No one lives there... no one should complain. But then again, how much does a big ass rocket cost that's capable of transporting the amount of trash we create into space? Sounds like a no go.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Nobody I know lives in france, and nobody I know will complain either. its much closer to us too.

OMGOMGOMG

Reaction score
Go through all the trash and sort it! Then, we can re-use the metals, turn the food items into biofuel/compost... Plastics can be re-used and... that's all sorted in about 10-20 years.

KMilz

Reaction score
No way, that'd take an absurd amount of manpower to not only keep up with the current rate of waste growth but to actually recycle beyond that rate. If we had some technology that allowed you to throw your electronics into a bin and it'd separate them into their different components, then maybe, but that task alone is far too burdensome for it to be reasonable.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.