US News US Senator Al Franken has 'Deep Concerns' about a Jailbroken Facial Recognition App called Name Tag

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) is worried about the privacy implications of a new facial recognition app.

In a letter on Wednesday, Franken expressed "deep concern" about NameTag, a facial recognition app for Google Glass devices that have been "jailbroken" to circumvent Google's ban on facial recognition tools.

Franken, chairman of the Senate Judiciary subcommittee on Privacy, asked NameTag to delay its launch until there are best practices for facial recognition technology, such as those that will come out of a Commerce Department initiative beginning this week.

“According to promotional materials, NameTag lets strangers get a broad range of personal information — including a person’s name, photos, and dating website profiles — simply by looking at that person’s face with the Glass camera," Franken said in his letter.

--------------------------
I have always had trouble taking Al Franken seriously since I watched him when he was a comic on Saturday Night Live. He is always in there on the Privacy and Technology issues though.

This is the kind of technology like in the terminator eye - totally awesome.

Last edited:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
This is why a lawyer recently told me that google glass would be illegal in europe. Not just the apps on it but the entire thing.
Where I am from facebook, google+, twitter, etc are "illegal" too. Of course you can use these services, but if they would operate from within the country the owners could be sued so hard they never see the light of day again.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I can already do that with my phone. I fail to see this as being too different.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.