USB Ports don't work

Wark

Animal
Reaction score
I'm having some trouble with my USB ports and I was hoping one of you could help me out.

I'm running WinXp pre-SP1
Have a Socket A Mainboard Model K7S5A Pro

I was trying to install a FireWire driver for my PCI FireWire card, and I downloaded a USB driver instead. I installed it and... it messed up my USB ports.

I've tried to delete the USB drivers from "Device Manager" and then go into my BIOS, disable USB, reboot to windows, go back to BIOS, enable USB, and reboot yet again to windows. It worked fine, and Windows had installed USB drivers, but alas, when I plug in my mouse, it won't detect it, or anything.

My mouse's light still works, so I'm assuming it's something to do with the drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Perhaps I should start posting here more often again, and maybe even go back to WC3...

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Well presumably you installed the wrong driver which Windows now sees as the better option.
Try going to Device Manager, right click on the USB driver and click on Update Driver. Make sure you pick to select it from a list and then find your old driver there...if you don't remember which one it was then I guess you'll have to try them all (keep the mouse plugged in and notice when Windows detects it).

Wark

Animal
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,

My USB drivers are as follows:

SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
SiA 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
USB Root Hub
USB Root HUb

I only have 4 usb ports.

I tried to update the drivers as you said, but there were no options to update to for the two "USB Root Hub" drivers. Although, there was 1 other for the "SiS 7001" driver called "Standard HCD USB Open Host Controller", so I updated to that.

Still no luck, as it did not detect my mouse, nor anything else

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Hm lets try a different approach...
Which motherboard are you using?
Go to its manufacturer's site and see if you can find something there. Look for either an USB driver or perhaps a chipset utility.

Wark

Animal
Reaction score
The manual just says "Socket A Mainboard" and it gives the model number 'K7S5A PRO'.

I have a cd that it came with it, and it has two sets of USB drivers: 'SiS' and 'VIA'. I tried to install
both, but niether seemed to work either...

EDIT: Actually, I think the manufacturer might be 'SiS' since there are several other drivers named "SiS x y z"

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Well after installing the drivers you will probably have to go through that update driver deal again, this time picking either that VIA or SiS.

Edit: Yeah, just checked, your card has the SiS chipset so you should pick the SiS driver.

Wark

Animal
Reaction score
Hmm.

Well I installed the 'SiS' drivers from my motherboard CD, and I gave me an error right at the end of installation, titled something like "ErrorUSBUpgradingPlugandPlay" after the error message it said "Install finished successfully", yet it still didn't fix the problem.

I downloaded another SiS driver from the internet, but I wasn't sure which one it was (the SiS website doesn't have USB drivers). After installing it, I got the exact same error.

Not sure what's going on, but all the driver I've tried to install fail to work as of yet.

Wark

Animal
Reaction score
As a follow-up, I decided to buy a USB 2.0 card, with a VIA chipset. And I also reformatted my computer and installed SP1. Still no luck. The USB ports provide power, but Windows doesn't detect anything. Windows also doesn't even detect the USB PCI card I installed.

Now I'm starting to think a USB port also shorted out my Logitech Mx518 mouse, as it's not getting power from either ports, and my backup mouse is...

At this point I'm probably going to bring it in to a PC repair shop. I'm pretty surprised installing a wrong driver can do this...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.