Use "Advanced" Weapons/Upgrades and the Like

AaronPwner

Reaction score
How do you use "advanced" weapons/upgrades?

What exactly allows an SCV to build a Fortified Bunker vs. a normal one?

What tells a Missile Turret to fire Hellfire Missiles instead of Longbolt Missiles?

I'm looking through requirements and I can't seem to figure it out. The concept itself is vital for me to learn to complete my map.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
If your talking about the campaign upgrades/units, then these are controlled by normal upgrades. If you open the Data Editor, and go to the Upgrades Data Type, then type "Story Mode Tech" into the Search, it will give you a list of all the upgrades which control whether a player has access to the campaign units/upgrades. You can use the trigger actions Set Upgrade Level For Player or Add Upgrade Level For Player to give a player access to the campaign upgrades/units.

AaronPwner

Reaction score
Ah, fantastic. So I just check with a trigger when a research finishes, check if it's equal to the upgrade I want. And then unlock it for the unit. Thanks!

Dave312

Reaction score
If you want to make a player have to research it, then you can just give a structure the ability to research that particular upgrade rather than using a dummy upgrade with a trigger. Hope that makes sense.

Druzzl

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
So if I'm trying to use say both Terran upgrade types, and all 6 of each have to be researched how would I add the to the engineering bay/armory? The ability and buttons are already there and avaliable but when I'm in game they don't show up.

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
A good example for an upgrade that upgrades the unit in both stats and visual, is the Zergling - Metabolic Boost upgrade, that changes the model for all Zerglings, to a Zergling with wings. Check out the Zergling actor, and see the events in there, which is related to the Zergling - Metabolic Boost upgrade.

So if I'm trying to use say both Terran upgrade types, and all 6 of each have to be researched how would I add the to the engineering bay/armory? The ability and buttons are already there and avaliable but when I'm in game they don't show up.
Go see the engeneering bay, it uses an ability, that can research the desired upgrades, it also uses a Queue ability (othervise it would not be able to do it over time) and then the ability is used in the command card, which makes it visible to the player. A requirement hides the button on use and shows the next tier.

Druzzl

Reaction score
Go see the engeneering bay, it uses an ability, that can research the desired upgrades, it also uses a Queue ability (othervise it would not be able to do it over time) and then the ability is used in the command card, which makes it visible to the player. A requirement hides the button on use and shows the next tier.

I had Ment the Terran campaign upgrades like the ultra capacitors

Dave312

Reaction score
I'm a little confused about what you are trying to do. Are you just trying to add these upgrades to the engineering bay?

Druzzl

Reaction score
they're already added to the engineering bay but they don't show up in game to research

Dave312

Reaction score
I'd say that you have made a mistake somewhere along the way so I'll go through each step on how to do it.

The first step is to create a requirement which will hide the research button once the research is completed. Go to the Requirements data type in the Data Editor and create a new requirement. Open up the Basic: Requirement + property. On the left hand side of the window that opens you should see two folders: Use and Show. Right click on the Show folder and select Add Requirement Node. Select the node you have just added and set Type to Count Upgrade, Alias to the story mode tech upgrade that you want to add, and State to Completed. If you have done this correctly, it should now look like this:
Code:
USE
SHOW
   Count Upgrade <Your_Upgrade> Completed

Now the next step to to add the upgrade the units Research ability. So go to the Ability data type and find the research ability that is linked to your unit. For the Engineering Bay it is called Engineering Bay - Research (Engineering Bay). Double click on the Ability: Info + property and double click on an empty Research command (an empty command will have (None) written under the Button and Upgrade fields). Set the Info - Button - Default Button property to the button you want to use for this upgrade (you may have to create one or you can just use an existing one), the Info - Button - Requirements property to the requirement you made in the previous step, and set the Info - Upgrade property to the upgrade you want to research. You can also set the cost and time it takes to research the upgrade in this window but I'll let you figure that out.

The final step is to add a button to the units command card. Go to the Units data type and find the unit you want the upgrade researched from (Engineering Bay). Double click on the Ability: Command Card +[/i] property, and then left click on an empty slot on the command card. Then click on the green + symbol to add a button to that slot (select the button that you want to use - usually the same one that you specified earlier). Set the Command Type to Ability Command, Ability to the research ability, and Ability Command to the name of the button you choose for this upgrade. The hit ok and you're done. It should work without any issues.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.