Using TFT features in ROC editor (Using .SLK's and WinMPQ)

P

pat8you

From what i understand i'm having similar problems as the others. My new ability shows up in the WE list and i can add it to a hero no problems. Before opening the map and after i have added the ability to a hero i open my map with .mpq editor and add all the .slk files that i have edited. when i test the map the hero doesn't have the spell and doesn't have an ability point. It makes sence to me that the .slk files arn't loading or something but i'm new at this (first custom spell) and i have no clue whats going on. any help would be great.

pat

edit: i just tried a different spell where all i changed was the name of the spell and the alias [Axxx] and got the same results so i am pretty sure its something i am doing wrong in the importing procedure and not a field i have edited and screwed up my spell.

Tonks

Reaction score
The method works fine; I've tested it myself. I don't know what could be going wrong, all I know is that it's not being imported correctly.

P

pat8you

hey you said in the tutorial the only way to make a completly origional spell is to write it with JASS. If i was considering this or just interested in seeing the rest of the code for the spells where would i find the file with all the script for the exsisting spells? So with out writing JASS the only thing you can really do is edit the numbers and look of the spells already there correct? The function of the spell can't be changed at all? for example if i wanted to make mirror image castable on another unit instead of the hero its self so that the images are like summoned units?
which i know i could just edit a summoning spell but thats just an example. hopefully i havn't just confused people.

btw i got the importing to work... now i just have to work on my editing :(

Pat

Tonks

Reaction score
To make a mirror image targetable on another unit, change Wand of Illusion to a hero spell.

I'm not sure off the top of my head where the scripts are located; I'll look around and get back to you soon.

P

pat8you

thanks for the wand idea. i guess i just need to look over all the spells more. another quick question (sorry if i'm driving your crazy) can i edit the spells for TFT and use them? and if i can do i need to change the version from a "1" to a "0"?

Pat

Tonks

Reaction score
thanks for the wand idea. i guess i just need to look over all the spells more. another quick question (sorry if i'm driving your crazy) can i edit the spells for TFT and use them? and if i can do i need to change the version from a "1" to a "0"?

Pat

Yes, you can. However, you need to import all data. I put emphasis on "all," because if you forget any part of it, then no RoC-Only user can use, see, or even view it. You should only change the "1" to a "0" in the version field for the spells / data that you're using, so as to prevent confusion.

Grommo

Reaction score
Hi! This tutorial is great!!! although i have 1 problem..... I can successfully import the .mdx file i want to use, but when i try to assign the model to a unit in the Warcraft map editor, it automaticly tries to open a ".mdl" file instead of a ".mdx" even though i type .mdx... And then it says something like "(modelname).mdl wasn't found"... What am i doing wrong? help help help!!! btw: do i need a .blp for it to work? cuz my model didnt come with any .blp file...

Tonks

Reaction score
I'm sorry I didn't respond, I didn't see this.

World Editor automatically changes it to ".mdl," it doesn't matter. It's the same thing. Don't worry about that.

Now, what you should worry about is that error message.
"(modelname).mdl wasn't found"...
comes from an incorrect import. Did you import the .blp? Did you import the .mdx with the right paths?

Is the model corrupted?

Grommo

Reaction score
thank you for answering at last! :D
Well the model i first tried importing didnt come with any .blp.
But then i downloaded another one with an .blp, i imported the blp without any pathname except the .blp name itself. And thats what i think i did wrong, im not sure cuz i did this a week or two ago, but i think i imported the .blp without pathname and instead i used the pathname on the .mdx... well well, ill try and import the correct way this time. xD
I got it to work now!! Thank you for the help, but major thanks for the tutorial!!!

M

Mazegod

I did all of this

I did all of those steps Tonks but it didn't make nearly what you say you made. No damage or 10% chance, and when i tried to test my map after giving to a hero, when you try and pick the custom ability, its showed as tooltip missing and when picked it doesn't show up on the hero. It just simply dissapears. What have i done wrong?

Tonks

Reaction score
Mazegod, I'm afraid that the ability making portion has been outdated by the recent patches. I have effectively quit Wc3 mapping / modding, and have not tested it out since I wrote it. If it does not work, there are a few things that could have happened; 1, it could be outdated. 2, it could be a user error, this is the first time you've tried it, chances are you made a mistake. 3, tutorial error (probably not).

I'm almost certain that the tutorial is simply outdated by the patches. I have no intention to update it any time soon. However, if you explore a bit and familiarize yourself with the Wc3 file layout and basics, you should be able to compensate and figure out the problems. After all, I figured this all out without a tutorial. ;)

The model importing portion is still functional.

pat8you said:
can i edit the spells for TFT and use them? and if i can do i need to change the version from a "1" to a "0"?

You need to import all the spell data and files, so that RoC-Only players can use it.

Grommo said:
I got it to work now!! Thank you for the help, but major thanks for the tutorial!!!

Glad to see you got it working.

M

Mazegod

Thanks

I Dled microsoft excel that helps a lot. the only problem i have no is just the tooltip.. always says tooltip missing and has a pic of a guy when choosing. but like you said probably because of latest patches but you can still edit the ROC abilities and make them your own :D ty for your help Tonks

C

Cirgon

The missing tooltip means you have no (or wrong) paths for the icons. They are inside the RaceAbilityFunction.txt. Look at the tutorial part about that.

mpksingh

Reaction score
war3-patch.mpq

Dear Instructor,

I am a beginner in map making and have lots and lots to learn. Could you please tell me where do I get this war3-patch.mpq as suggested in your tutorial. I don't have this file in my Warcraft3 directory.

mpksingh

mpksingh

Reaction score
It is not there

Dear Instructor,

It is not there. I have checked and in not finding it, got it SEARCHED and the result is nil. Please help get it.

mpksingh

Tonks

Reaction score
If it were not there, you would not be able to play. I suggest a reinstall, if you truly can't find it.

mpksingh

Reaction score
war3patch.mpq not found.

Dear Instructor,

As per your suggestion in my last visit, I uninstalled warcraft3 and reinstalled again. But, war3patch.mpq is not found in the warcraft3 directory. I tried the same process of uninstalling and reinstalling a couple of more times in vain. I wonder, if the warcraft3 directory should contain the said file after installation, why it is not happening to mine. I am a bit frustrated at this and badly need this file for using TFT features in my WE-ROC which has some limitations.

Hence, if you can, help me get a copy of this file (war3patch.mpq) please.

Regards,

mpksingh

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.