US News Utah: Students sues Brigham Young University for 'subpar' online classes during pandemic, seeks refund

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
PROVO, UT (KUTV) — A student suing Brigham Young University claims he didn't get the education he paid for after in-person classes were canceled in March because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Chase Hiatt, an undergraduate student, claims in the federal lawsuit that the online classes were "subpar" compared to in-person classes.

"In short, plaintiffs and the members of the class have paid for tuition for a first-rate education and an on-campus, in person educational experience, with all the appurtenant benefits offered by a first-rate university, and were provided a materially deficient and insufficient alternative, which alternative constitutes a breach of the contracts entered into by plaintiffs and the class with the university," the lawsuit states.

Claims in the lawsuit include breach of contract and unjust enrichment, based on that BYU priced its tuition and mandatory fees on the in-person educational services, experiences and opportunities.

Last edited by a moderator:

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't BYU cheap as fuck?
It's $5,700 if you are only looking at the bare minimum tuition fee for out-of-state students.

But it will cost you $18,370 if you consider the living expenses on top of the tuition fees.

Provo, UT ain't cheap. (And I've just been there on a trip to the Arches National Park last year.)

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
It's $5,700 if you are only looking at the bare minimum tuition fee for out-of-state students.

But it will cost you $18,370 if you consider the living expenses on top of the tuition fees.

Provo, UT ain't cheap. (And I've just been there on a trip to the Arches National Park last year.)

Compared to pretty much any school in the US that is pretty cheap. My local college is 7,000 for IN state.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.