vB 4 Upgrade

Vellu

Real eyes realize real lies.
Reaction score
This is something I have to get used to because I liked the old forum style. This whole new theme has still a lot of work to do.

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
Weep
First thing I did was scramble for a theme setting, to get it back to the v3 default blue and white...

Same here, literally the first thing i did was go and try to get the old settings back. I think it's going to take A LOT of getting used to this kind of style, it's very overblown, in the sense that everything is too big. I absolutely need the index on the left side as well >.> , it's difficult to navigate xD

Unless this style runs any better for reasons still unknown to me, i prefer the old style. It all looks so fancy and pretty and this is a tech forum, it's supposed to be striped down to the basics ^^

Edit: Can you also add a permanent removal of posts on the wall while you're at it, so that users can delete their posts without it saying: The user has deleted the post.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
I agree, Just bring back the old "blue and white theme!" :mad:

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Ill admit, i prefer the old one. Then again ive only looked at this for a few minutes and have been used to the old one for.... 4 years?

Though this does look more nicer, and professional (if thats the right word im going for).

Besides looks, is there any other upgrades?

One complaint however, is the lack of the sidebar when viewing a thread, or the news. It took me a minute to find where the heck the forums were :eek:

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I did like the old theme... but I must say, I like the sleeker look of this one more. Quotes look better too. Insofar as I can tell, navigation is pretty much the same as before, it just looks a bit different.

I like the new logo too. Fits nicely with the new style.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This will take a LOT of getting used to. I don't like that the side navigation bar isn't around when viewing threads, and that I have to manually click 'Reply' to bring up this Quick Reply box. The "Started by UserName, December 29th, 2010 05:52 PM" text underneath thread titles is too bloated, and I'd rather just have a username there, like before. I also preferred having 'views' and 'replies' in two separate columns so it was easy to quickly glance through them and compare the values. I like the logo and pretty much everything else. I'll get used to it; it's not that bad. :p

Could the theme be modified slightly for more contrast between different parts of a thread/post? Should I change my avatar or keep the legacy one?

Edit: It's a pain to switch between User CP and New Posts, since they're in different tabs. Those two are the main ways in which I browse the forums, so that's a nuisance. :(

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> keep the legacy one?
This. :)

Hope the 'Quick Navigation' drop down menu is available when you search for posts. Gotten used to hitting the 'New Posts' button. The navigation bar is not available on that page. Kinda having the 'uneasy feeling'. Lol.

Prefer the old one though. Probably I'm just not used to it yet.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
My profile is messed up now (the custom theme) but it did keep some of it.

Like most people, I liked the old theme better. This one needs a little work, but I could get used to it.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I am really trying to get used to it but it has been the other way for so long this is going to take some time I think.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Something I find annoying now is that in your "Subscribed Threads", clicking on the link doesn't bring you to the last unread post anymore. This was a nifty thing to allow me to quickly find posts I haven't read. Now I have to search for it :(

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
It's not so bad.

I think we should scrap the built in sidebar for something more like the old one though. Without the ability to minimize it.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Something I find annoying now is that in your "Subscribed Threads", clicking on the link doesn't bring you to the last unread post anymore. This was a nifty thing to allow me to quickly find posts I haven't read. Now I have to search for it :(

There's a "View First Unread" next to "Thread Tools". Maybe that might help.

It looks like this, as I noticed it will appear only if you have just started to read this thread after there's a new post:
95412707.png

When can this be persistent?

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I like the new look, thehelper.net finally stepped into web 2.0.

Exactly :)
The Theme might not be totally ideal right now but the new version brings a lot of powerful stuff.

Such as SEO, so we can actually get some better rankings on the search engines. You can look up at this threads URL (http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php/160769-vB-4-Upgrade) and see how the title is in the thread...

To get that in VB3 we would have to spend like an additional 100 dollars.

You also get more functionality when it comes to your profile and privacy options.

I personally like the changes made to the Thread pages, the quote boxes look so much nicer.
The Forum is also designed with Divs instead of Tables. So you know its actually doing correct design work.

My profile is messed up now (the custom theme) but it did keep some of it.

Like most people, I liked the old theme better. This one needs a little work, but I could get used to it.

We're trying to get some of the site stuff similar to how it was on VB3. It will still take some getting use to but I am sure you will like it once we make all of our customizations/changes.

As for your profile, yeah you will have to redesign it because they added more functionality to it.

I like the new feel. It's good to feel fresh. Will there be blogs?

Unfortunately, the blogs were a part of another package that cost way more cash. :(
But you never know what the future might hold.

It's not so bad.

I think we should scrap the built in sidebar for something more like the old one though. Without the ability to minimize it.

The ability to minimize should be fixed pretty soon as well as it appear on each page.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
There's a "View First Unread" next to "Thread Tools". Maybe that might help.

It looks like this, as I noticed it will appear only if you have just started to read this thread after there's a new post:
95412707.png

When can this be persistent?

Thanks.

And when will it be persistent? @Miz/otheradminswhoreadthis

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I actually like the ability to get rid of the side bar. I don't use it much, honestly, and this makes the posts shorter because they stretch wider.

Saves me some scrolling, you see.

What I didn't like is the icons that tell you whether there's a new post or not... I keep looking at the red ones as if those are "new posts", but they are obviously "hot" topics. I don't know why my brain is tricking me like this, considering that the old vB3 software did it the same way [albeit much smaller] but it's obnoxious. I'll just have to learn to recognize the difference, though.

Aside from that, it's just a matter of getting used to something new. I've looked at the same layout for coming up on 6 years straight. Now it's different. Do I like it? Right now, no. But we'll see if I can get used to it.

Warmachine

Reaction score
I like it, but I haven't really been to this site since 2007-2008. I do agree that the sidebar would be nice, as it's a bit wide while viewing posts (especially on a 19"+ monitor)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.