Vertigo : Discussion + Related Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Not sure what the last level is... I got the cake in the second one but nothing happens. That is the last level? Because the block, yeah, it's not working. rofl.
But nice, I like this version. Llama.
:)

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Space Bar reverses your direction of vertical movement, so if you're jumping up, Space will send you back down. If you're falling, Space will send you up.

I intend to make this clearer later.

Second level should be working fine, and is working for me, not sure what's wrong for you. There is no block on level 2, only the final level.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Just a warning that my host recently migrated and so I'm assuming that my site is currently down due to some kind of aftermath, hopefully they'll sort it out soon!

Also this is just to say that a very illogical experiment fixed this calculation issue, and I must say that even looking at this code now, I can't explain why the points are still placing themselves flawlessly, AS3 is very strange and mysterious to me...

Either way, the "blocks" issue is now fixed as a result of this, as soon as my site is up and running again I'll have another preview!

EDIT: My site's back up.

http://labs.topaz-games.com/as3labs/Vertigo_mul.html

thewrongvine

Reaction score
My bad, I meant the fourth one. I'm like sure I reached the cake but then it just resets.
o.o

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

thewrongvine

Reaction score
WinRaR!

that's what it says, heh.
Anyways, nice. Cool background and llama life picture, :D

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I like what you did with everything there. The graphics had the perfect platformer feel and the controls felt a bit more smooth (though maybe it was because there wasn't anything all-too-complicated to beat yet).

You may want to clear/remove the textboxes after walking over them, and have the text appear for a short amount of time, so that way, players can play around with the controls without having instructions constantly flash in front of them.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
That's definitely a cool effect for it leaving, but some people might like it to stay there. I mean, these starting ones for like movement are obvious so they can be removed, but if you go later on into combinations or special keys, you might want to keep them there. Great as always.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
A main feature that platformers usually share between each other is a pickup-and-play feature. The in-game directions should be short and simple, and should be unnoticeable only if the user decides to ignore it.

Not sure if you noticed, but many games are leaning towards this now, as compared to games made a decade ago.

I like what you did with it, it works very well.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Your game is coming along nicely, and the latest level added some nice creativity to it.

One last thing is really bugging me. The game utilizes the keyboard mostly, but to proceed to the next level, you require the mouse. Perhaps allow the user to hit space or enter to proceed to the next level, and add text below "Next Level" to let the user know they can do that?

I.e. -

Next Level
(press enter)

thewrongvine

Reaction score
lol Sephiroth, you're just lazy to use the mouse, :p
Yeah, it's coming along very nicely.
Spikes look great. As great as spikes can be.
Winrar!

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Current Updates:
  • Added timer in the corner.
  • Added fourth level.
  • You can now continue from the 'Next Level' thing by pressing any key.
  • 'M' toggles the music.

Some (Fairly Easy) Challenges:
  • Beat Levels 1-3 (+ collecting all coins) without using Space.
  • Collect all 83 coins in under a minute.
  • Finish the 4 levels without losing any lives.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Psh, I could do those challenges in my sleep. All coins under a minute, check. Collecting all coins without using space, um the third level, those 4 coins that are side by side of the spike, impossible without spacebar! Finishing all levels without dying, took me a few tries since the ending was so small I keep over walking, but check! lol i fail
:)
Fun. Glowing llama.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
It's coming along very well, and I like the visual effects you added. As for difficulty, it is quite easy currently, but again, it is the initial levels of your game. I'm sure you will increase difficulty accordingly.

If you need any ideas for add-ons to later levels, let us (TH.net) know, I'm sure a bunch of the sprawling young minds here can help come up with things (I know I could).

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.