Vertigo : Discussion + Related Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
those 4 coins that are side by side of the spike, impossible without spacebar!

Nope, very possible! I'll gladly record it if you like.

It's coming along very well, and I like the visual effects you added. As for difficulty, it is quite easy currently, but again, it is the initial levels of your game. I'm sure you will increase difficulty accordingly.

If you need any ideas for add-ons to later levels, let us (TH.net) know, I'm sure a bunch of the sprawling young minds here can help come up with things (I know I could).

I'm quite glad that people aren't having problems with the difficulty already, I need to be very careful with how I plan out each level as I don't want things to start out too difficult or get too difficult too quickly.

As for ideas, I've got plenty, but thanks.

Just played the full version, I gotta say, I like it.

Thanks!

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Some Major Improvements:

• 5th Level added.
  • Enemy added to 5th level (jump on its head to kill it)
  • Auto-switching mechanism improved.
  • Delay added to respawn to prevent players from randomly walking to their death constantly.
  • Blood particles added for when the player dies.
  • Music now loops.

Enjoy.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Keep it up! The gameplay, graphics, and difficulty increase is perfect. I'm sure the end result will be great to play with!

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Woah that looks nice and detailed. The leaves and trees look nice. But the leaves drop constantly, heh.
Do the fans kill you? :O
Great job as always.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Small update, again I forget how much of this is now online, but here's a full list of what I've now done to the game:

• Coins are now reset when the player dies.
  • Llama Death Icon appears gold until the player dies (stays gold in the world select menu if the player beats that world without dying.)
  • World 4 completed
  • World 5 completed
  • Medal System added, medals only apply to switches and times at the moment.
  • Timer now supports times greater than 10 minutes.
  • Stats page now functional and displays medals.
  • Various adjustments made to previous levels to reduce difficulty.
  • Jumping mechanic adjusted to allow for lower jumps.

World 4 is titled "Inferno Dome" and is set in a fiery cave, because every platformer needs a fire level of some kind; the powerup in this world is 'Ice Eyes' (or 'Ice Breath') which allows you to divert fireballs and create (melting) paths to walk on briefly.

World 5 is titled "Desolate Fields" and is set in a gloomy cactus patch, the powerup (acquired on level 2) allows you to spit cactus balls, these are used to collect unreachable coins and in some levels you must feed giant chameleon monsters with this powerup in order to advance. A new enemy is introduced to this world which is basically a fast-homing-floating-cactus, it forces the player in to tight situations and challenges them to move faster in order to evade it.

World 6 is titled "Nostalgia City" and is set in a block of haunted buildings, objectives will include hitting a series of switches (in numbered order) to access the exit/the rest of the level/extra coins etc, the powerup + any use for this powerup is still undecided (possibly Fire Breath?). There is also a new ghost enemy which follows you when your back is turned. More on this world when I get started on it.

EDIT: Another soundtrack video uploaded, this time it's the full unedited version of the track you will hear in Worlds 4 and 6.

[youtube]CbtleslSraY[/youtube]

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Is these ables to be testingeds?
Infreono looks cool, the lava beam thing seems nice, that's the fireball right?

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Testing will eventually be available when I get around to sorting it out for public use.

The fireballs are usually seperate, but in that level they follow in a trail behind each other (and yes they kill.)

If you're referring to the glowy things on the top and bottom of the screen, then yes that's lava.

---

I've devised a very nice feature to World 6: There will be switches in levels which are numbered in the order that you must reach them. When all of the switches have been reached, spikes blocking your path will be destroyed, and along-side that new spikes will form in places in an attempt to make your return journey more difficult (I'll try and video this at some point to give people an idea of how it will work.)

EDIT: I've now adjusted coins to work similarly with this feature in World 6: Some coins are uncollectable until the spikes are swapped, and some are only collectable before then.

The ghost is also working nicely.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
World 6: "Nostalgia City" complete!

[youtube]Jn2ZMfJskBs[/youtube]

This is me playing through the 10 levels of that world, enjoy!

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
World 7 is almost complete, and I thought I'd explain this arcade idea I had:

There will be an arcade with mini-games related to the game and its mechanic, minigames will be unlocked by beating certain worlds (or 1 minigame per world if I can think of enough!)

There won't be anything to gain from the arcade other than achieving high scores and challenging others.

Here are some ideas I've had so far:

Switch Tube: You (the llama) will be in a wrapped room (run off the left, appear on the right and vice versa) with the ability to switch infinitely. A get ready timer will sound, when it ends, you must be in the air and you must stay there, the ground will exit the room and obstacles will come at you endlessly. Different obstacles will trick you depending on the level you're on, the difficulty it is set at and your current movements (For example, if you're spamming the switch key to stay on a spot then something will knock you out of place, if you're not moving left/right much then something else will appear above/below you). Eventually, spikes will start appearing on the top/bottom of the screen, preventing you from going off the ends to dodge stuff, similarly spikes will appear on the sides. Survive for as long as possible to win.

Boulder Dash: (Unlocked after beating World 7) You will be in a standard level similar to one from World 7 ("Fantasia Shore"), and homing boulders (from World 7, you'll understand when you see them) will start spawning every X seconds, your aim is simply to dodge them for as long as possible (not as easy as it sounds!), I'll program some kind of algorithm to add some diversity to the boulders (where they spawn + unpredictable actions, as well as some measures to make sure that the minigame doesn't become impossible at a certain point in time)

Tower of Ice: Unlocked after beating World 4)You will be in a room with walls + ground, you gain the Ice Breath powerup and must use it to climb as high up the tower as you can. There will be spikes at the top of the screen to prevent you from going too far/switching from the start. The tower will scroll up as you go higher. Random blocks, spikes and obstacles will eventually start appearing to make things more difficult.

That's all for now.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Writing up the credits now, everyone who commented is in.

+ Trophies are up and working, Llama Land (World 8) must be beaten before you can find them:

vertigotrophies.jpg

Full update list includes:

• World 7 finished
  • World 8 nearly finished
  • Trophies added
  • Several new sound FX added
  • Quality adjustment added
  • Sound FX Toggle added
  • Particle FX Toggle added
  • Options page added
  • "Victory Scene" added for first timer winners
  • Removed coins resetting on player death
  • Players can now switch while touching the ground

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
labs.topaz-games.com/vertigo/

WIP Site I made out of boredom for the game, will eventually contain screenshots, videos, as well as extra information about stuff in the game that probably isn't mentioned in-game.

EDIT: Dynamic screenshot + video pages added.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Here we go, enjoy!

[youtube]EF3C1EqVYDU[/youtube]

EDIT: More progress! World 8 is fully finished and screenshotted.

EDIT2: Stats Page added, every time someone completes a world, their results are sent and displayed on this page, I'll be using it somewhere in the beta phase to develop more accurate medal goals.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Advanced Mode in Progress

What Is?

Advanced Mode is an option unlocked when you complete the game (or World 8), enabling this makes the levels much harder and allows for you to try for more medals.

By harder I mean that the following will happen:

• Exits will require all coins in a level before they open.
  • More enemies will appear per level.
  • Enemy AI is tweaked in Advanced Mode to make them more difficult to kill/avoid.

The aim of this is simply to give players more of a challenge if they beat the game and find that it was too easy (The game currently can be beaten start to finish in under half an hour, if you're good at it)

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
The full game so far is now up on my site, but you'll need a name and password to access it.

If you're interested in testing the game, searching for bugs and generally contributing to the stats page, PM me and I'll provide you with the necessities for accessing the game.

(I've also reset the stats for this!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.