Vertigo : Discussion + Related Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Unless it's on purpose, I think cacti is the plural form of cactus, on the powerups page.
Shangri Llama was a good idea, haha.
:thup:

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Cactuses! is the intentional name of the powerup because I couldn't think of anything better (Cactus Breath didn't seem correct), I believe I have put cacti somewhere in the description (or somewhere else)

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
Final levels keys seemed to have the same collision size as the coins. This made getting them exceptionally frustrating.

Lama land gold lamma corpses should be set to be on a background layer, they are on top of objects and your lama, it clutters vision when there are a ton of them. Perhaps limiting it to 5 gold-lama corpses too.

Boulders need some sort of rolling graphic (and maybe angry eyes too).

Some of the boulder / room patching levels have a few walls you can't go through, perhaps should add a wall on those places. There were only 1-2 levels I noticed this.

The ghosts could use a death graphic so they aren't smiling as they die. X-eyes or something. Might just be me, but the smiling face I didn't find too suiting.

Credits and trophy screen at end of game were quite nice, but I think could do well with a background of some sort, maybe a slowly spinning background, like that of the NG-tank preloader background (the orange/yellow spinning thingy).

I'll write more as they come back to me.

Overall great game Jindo, had a lot of fun.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
I'm terrible... I usually get like 20+ deaths a level because of things like me getting mad and forgetting to move my hand off the space bar or something, :D
I'll add on tomorrow, have to go now.
But it is fun, :)

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Final levels keys seemed to have the same collision size as the coins. This made getting them exceptionally frustrating.

Yeah I've been meaning to adjust that, it gave me problems too.

Lama land gold lamma corpses should be set to be on a background layer, they are on top of objects and your lama, it clutters vision when there are a ton of them. Perhaps limiting it to 5 gold-lama corpses too.

I'll see what I can do! Adding objects dynamically always causes them to appear above all else so I'd need to code some kind of method for swapping them with a backdrop (or maybe spawning them in an object on a lower layer will resolve this..)

Boulders need some sort of rolling graphic (and maybe angry eyes too).

I was planning to add spikes to them which rolled instead, angry eyes could be done too.

Some of the boulder / room patching levels have a few walls you can't go through, perhaps should add a wall on those places. There were only 1-2 levels I noticed this.

Will do.

The ghosts could use a death graphic so they aren't smiling as they die. X-eyes or something. Might just be me, but the smiling face I didn't find too suiting.

Will sort this out too, thanks!

Credits and trophy screen at end of game were quite nice, but I think could do well with a background of some sort, maybe a slowly spinning background, like that of the NG-tank preloader background (the orange/yellow spinning thingy).

I'll see what I can do!

I'll write more as they come back to me.

Overall great game Jindo, had a lot of fun.

Thanks for playing and coming up with this feedback (now go play advanced mode :p!)

And good luck thewrongvine!

I'd love for more people to test the game, please PM me if you're interested!

EDIT: I've further updated the Homing Boulders, the significant change is the added spikes (which spin when the rock moves), but the main updates won't be noticed unless you're playing in Advanced Mode (I've greatly improved its path finding mechanism to take in to account the screen wrapping and a bunch of other complicated stuff like whether or not a wall would come between the player if the rock were to enter the other side of the screen)

EDIT2: I'm uploading another playthrough, this time of World 7 Advanced, you'll get to see the changes between normal and advanced mode (World 7 doesn't have any changes to the level design, just mechanics really, but it's still much harder!)

EDIT3:

[youtube]O60Wm9-cU04[/youtube]

EDIT4: I've found some other people who are willing to test and I've noticed that on average, it takes 4 and a half minutes to beat World 1 if they're trying to collect all of the coins (at least this is what I can see from 3 players...), which is already a helpful basis for the Advanced Mode medals.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Is double jump only supposed to work when you're going up?
lol, so many deaths, :D

EDIT: YAY I GOT IT!
OMG I DIED!

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Is double jump only supposed to work when you're going up?

Could you elaborate on that? What do you mean by 'going up'?

Double jump is a 2nd jump, like all double jump mechanisms it is used after the first jump before landing, unless you mean that it only works on one surface (either ground or ceiling), if so I'll take a look at that, thanks!

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Hmm, like I could only double jump during the upward motion of the first jump. Once it started going down, I couldn't double jump. But that's probably how it's supposed to be, lol.

New record, 313 deaths, I gonna cry. I am stupid, I got like 60 deaths because I couldn't see the huge, purple, spiky block in one of them, ha. :D

Pretty much what Jimpy said so far. Could walk through some spikes, the little ones.
Fun game.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
It's been a while since I did any work on this game due to academic stuff.

But today I completed a chiptune of "The Devil's Gallop", which I intend to use for the arcade games' themes.

[youtube]UURj7qJCX64[/youtube]

There's also some weird glitch where by viewing this thread you're being asked for a password to access my site, this is something I'm looking to fix right now, but clicking Cancel and ignoring it seems to work in the meantime.

UPDATE: The Arcade mode has since been revoked.

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
It's been a while since I did any work on this game due to academic stuff.

But today I completed a chiptune of "The Devil's Gallop", which I intend to use for the arcade games' themes.

[youtube]UURj7qJCX64[/youtube]

There's also some weird glitch where by viewing this thread you're being asked for a password to access my site, this is something I'm looking to fix right now, but clicking Cancel and ignoring it seems to work in the meantime.

That would be due to this post. If you remove the image from it then it will go away.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
For anybody who's interested I'm about to record one or two playthroughs of Advanced Mode for YouTube, keep an eye on this post if you want to watch them.

[youtube]NzfwFhjjPHA[/youtube]

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hey Jindo, if you don't mind me (a total stranger) to be honest with you, then, by all means, read this. Otherwise just skip it.

I really love the artwork. The artwork is enough for becoming a classic. But for becoming a classic, more is needed, gameplay! I watched the video and it looked kind of the same style as greg can jump. I really did not enjoy that game. I felt a (background)story was kind of lacking, and without such a motivation, it is hard to enjoy something that was made to be close to impossible. IWBTG was more enjoyable to me, because, once you beat a level and you got its feel, it was usually easy to do so again. From the video, it seems like you need luck so you time it exactly right every time. So my 2 points:
1. Make it a little easier, give the player a bigger margin of error
2. Give it some kind of background story

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
1. Make it a little easier, give the player a bigger margin of error

The video is showing a preview of Advanced Mode (which is unlocked after World 8 is beaten), the regular version of World 3 is miles easier than what was shown, and the idea is that by the time you reach Advanced Mode you should be able to beat most of the levels relatively effortlessly. Still, there are parts in the regular mode of other worlds where the difficulty will likely need to be adjusted and I will definitely take this in to account!

2. Give it some kind of background story

I will consider this, the basic idea at the moment is that you're just trying to get home so I'll see if I can enhance on that.

---

Thanks for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated!

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Another new piece of audio for the game, unfortunately I didn't make this one!

[youtube]64U8j1ijaU8[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64U8j1ijaU8

(As the description reads, this track is intended for use with the bonus worlds and levels!)

The weird hovering red things you see in the video are "Fire Switches", the concept of these is that you switch on top of them and they ignite, igniting all of them will unlock the exit, and dying will reset all of them (aka. Yet another mechanic to increase the difficulty of the extra content!)

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Made some more progress on the game today at last, these changes are currently offline but once everything is polished up I intend to update the online version and reopen beta participation requesting! (Anybody who has requested beta participation but been denied will get the necessary credentials when this happens.)

The main changes include:

• Fixed a case where the Player could "cling" to walls, allowing for multiple switches.
  • Added a cinematic which plays before each world is played (once the world is beaten the cinematic won't show up again.) The cinematic is an attempt to build more of a storyline as requested by Bronxernijn
  • First arcade minigame added. (UPDATE: The arcade has since been removed)
  • Various tweakings of levels to decrease the overall difficulty and difficulty slope.
  • Medal boundaries further adjusted (mostly decreased!)
  • Adjusted off-screen death handlings so that you only die if you fall off of the screen (rather than jumping off of the screen but in a way that you can return.)

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
vertigo_w10.jpg

vertigo_w10_3.jpg

This is World 10 (Dragon Empire), it is a bonus world which ties in with the storyline as you track down the origin of the golden meteor and wipe it out once and for all. It is logically the hardest world in the game.

There are no coins lying around in the levels but there is an optional objective per level in which you must assemble the eggs in the level's dragon nest, you are rewarded with 100 coins if you successfully achieve this (it must be achieved in one attempt, dying will reset the eggs)

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Anyone still trying the game out I have some update notes for you:

Pre-Game Related

• Adjusted the glowing on rolled over worlds in the World Select Menu.
  • Added lock icons indicating that a world is locked.
  • Fixed bugs in all Menus.

Cinematics

• Cinematics up to World 4 are now complete.
  • Fixed llamas in the introduction not being different colours.
  • Various fixes to animations in the cinematics.

In-Game

• Fixed instances of being unable to jump or jump infinitely up a wall.
  • Added a refresh timers on most powerups.
  • Added a bar to indicate this on appropriate powerups.
  • Updated some visuals in World 2.
  • Vertigo the Llama is now animated as requested by a tester named Acegikmo.

And anyone feeling pro, these are my best times/switches for each world:

W1: 0:36, 10
W2: 0:49, 6
W3: 1:00, 34
W4: 1:27, 25
W5: 1:30, 37
W6: 1:42, 30
W7: 1:56, 34
W8: 3:53, 56

sparkle.jpg

Coming up: You will have an added sparkle trail following your player once you beat the game.

EDIT: Currently in the process of putting a trailer-type video together, of the raw footage I've collected I can tell you that it has taken me just over an hour to complete the 8 main worlds (in normal and advanced mode combined) (roughly 20 minutes to complete normal mode and the remaining 40-ish minutes to complete advanced)

EDIT2: Also updated the labs page, mainly correcting the list of youtube videos on the Videos page, and I've updated the Guide page with information on all of the game's enemies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.