Very weird ability replacement

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
Just something I noticed while messing around

An ability, based off channel, is used to cast an ability, Slow Time. I am using a spellbook with the endurance aura as an ability to add a slowing buff to affected units.

Strangest thing happens when the unit becomes afflicted with the Slow Time buff. The original Slow Time ability icon and name is replaced with the endurance aura dummy ability inside the spell book, but still retains the original tooltip and casting ability.

The Slow Time ability has rawcode SLOW and the endurance aura dummy ability has rawcode slow. The rawcodes seem to be interfering somehow... Changing them fixes the problem.

Maybe this is expected, but I figured rawcodes were case sensitive...

EspadaDelRey

Reaction score
Capital letter at the beginning of the raw code makes a unit a hero. Emulate the raw codes Blizzard uses for a professional look. Like, slow and slo2.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
Rawcodes should be case-sensitive, but who knows what weird stuff goes on behind the scenes. I had a crashing bug with some uppercase/lowercase confusion, once.

Aren't abilities supposed to always start with "A" anyway, buffs with "B"?

In any case, this could be a very cool trick to change ability icons, if it always works. Perhaps you could test it some more. (There's no possibility of some Engineering Upgrade foolery happening, is there?)

Capital letter at the beginning of the raw code makes a unit a hero. Emulate the raw codes Blizzard uses for a professional look. Like, slow and slo2.
True, but irrelevant to the question...

EspadaDelRey

Reaction score
For the record, the first question was asked in post #3.
If you run DotA hotkey changer program and open up the customkeys.txt file, every entry is all lowercase. However, if you convert the data into numbers(I'm not sure what these numbers are), you get to see this.
'SLOW'=0x534C4F57
'slow'=0x736C6F77
So indeed, there appears to be contradiction. I only found using spell books to be confusing. Maybe you should try using the Libram system?

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
Rawcodes should be case-sensitive, but who knows what weird stuff goes on behind the scenes. I had a crashing bug with some uppercase/lowercase confusion, once.

Aren't abilities supposed to always start with "A" anyway, buffs with "B"?

In any case, this could be a very cool trick to change ability icons, if it always works. Perhaps you could test it some more. (There's no possibility of some Engineering Upgrade foolery happening, is there?)

True, but irrelevant to the question...

would be kind of neat - i dont really have the time to mess around with it - but if someone else wants to be my guest.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.