Gaming Video game playing may fulfill innate human need

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Playing video games can satisfy deep psychological needs and, at least in the short term, improve people's well-being, new research shows.

The more a game fulfilled a player's sense of independence, achievement and connectedness to others, the more likely he or she was to keep playing, Dr. Scott Rigby of Immersyve, a Florida-based virtual environment think tank, and colleagues from the University of Rochester in New York found. And the more fully a player's needs were satisfied, the better he felt after playing.

"We think this is really one of the first validated models of what is going on psychologically when people are playing video games," Rigby told Reuters Health in an interview. To date, he noted, research on video games has focused on their potentially harmful effects, such as promoting social isolation, addiction, and violence.

While the findings don't prove that "video games are always good for you," Rigby noted, they do help to provide a more balanced understanding of people's motivations for playing them. "We're trying to in some sense normalize how people look at video games, rather than seeing them as having some mystical power to addict."

Last edited:
G

g1real

Let's add onto this, when you succeed in gaming or any other kind of thing, and win a mission for example, you get the feel of victory. When you are victorious you'd feel happy, this is cause of some sort of stuff is made in your body to make you feel happy. Look for wikipedia on gaming addiction or something.

Anyhow, when you get addicted to gaming you want to have the feel of victory more, and even more. And so much more, you can't stop it.

I hope this is right, I readed this in the BENELUX (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg) Ultimate's gaming mag. Power Unlimited.

Reaction score
new news for me as usually.. kinda funny too ^^

lol, ace is beign discriminated

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
You know what makes me feel good?

Playing Mario for the NES on my Wii. Then, when I get to the end of the level, jump onto the flash, and it plays the victory tune. That, my friends, makes me happy. Yeaaaah, I just beat that level.

:cool:

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
You know what makes me feel good?

Playing Mario for the NES on my Wii. Then, when I get to the end of the level, jump onto the flash, and it plays the victory tune. That, my friends, makes me happy. Yeaaaah, I just beat that level.

:cool:

you paid for those old games?

anyways....

yea this doctor stated the obvious. I played video games to escape from reality.

same reason you read a book. I KNOW, there must have been a lot of people out there who where addicted to books and didn't get thrashed. and they where allot more isolated then gamers.

anyways. games are just as addicting as life, if you want to keep living.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Why would I not pay for them? I enjoy them. :confused:
ROM's ftw. Download em for free.

However, I still got a functional NES with SMB3 n duckhunt...I'm happy with that...xD

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.