Sci/Tech Video: Google Finally Explains the Tech Behind Their Autonomous Cars

Furby

Current occupation: News poster
Reaction score
Google's self-driving fleet of robo-Priuses have been cruising around the San Francisco area for months now, logging over 190,000 miles. But until recently, the technology behind the autonomous cars had been kept secret. Last month, Sebastian Thrun, a Stanford professor and head of the project, and Google engineer Chris Urmson, delivered a keynote speech at the IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems in San Francisco, explaining how the car works.

The "heart of the system" is its Velodyne 64-beam laser that sits on the roof of the Prius, creating the 3-D map of the surrounding environment. This 3-D image is combined with existing high resolution maps programmed into the car. Four radars (one for the front, back, left and right) are used to give the car far-sighted vision for handling high speeds on freeways. There's also a camera near the rear view mirror for monitoring stop lights. GPS, an inertial measurement unit, and wheel encoder keep track of where the car goes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds dangerous if the technology inside the car has some kind of malfunction.
On the other hand, if a human driver has some kind of "malfunction" its dangerous as well.

I wonder what the authorities say about cars riding around town without drivers, where i live it would be most certainly forbidden.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I have that. It's called a taxi, very spendy.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
sounds dangerous if the technology inside the car has some kind of malfunction.
On the other hand, if a human driver has some kind of "malfunction" its dangerous as well.

I wonder what the authorities say about cars riding around town without drivers, where i live it would be most certainly forbidden.

A human is much more likely to make errors than a well made program. The authorities were obviously told about this and Google was given the go-ahead.

Where do you live? I doubt they'd disallow it, as far as I know it's almost ready to go public in England.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
A human is much more likely to make errors than a well made program.
Just Imagine, satellite sends wrong signal/dies or gets a nasty virus etc..
Well, a bad programming thing could kill a hell of a lot of people at once!

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Just Imagine, satellite sends wrong signal/dies or gets a nasty virus etc..
Well, a bad programming thing could kill a hell of a lot of people at once!

Didn't you see the video? It doesn't use satellites for driving. And sure bad programming could kill a few people, bad driving kills a few million every year.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Anyways Oops

Google still insists robot car safe despite accident said:
Google's self-driving car is in an accident but human was driving, company says
Google Inc.'s quest to popularize cars that drive themselves seemed to hit a roadblock today when news emerged that one of the automated vehicles was in an accident.
But in an ironic twist, the company is saying that the car was not driving itself; a human was.

Auto blog Jalopnik posted a photo (not the one above) apparently showing a Google car pulled to the side of the road after banging into another Prius near Google's Mountain View, Calif., headquarters. In the photo, the Google car, with its telltale rack of roof electronics, is parked behind the other vehicle as a policeman and other drivers look on.

Self-driving cars must legally have a human at the wheel, ready to assume control if anything goes wrong. Google says that in this case, the human driver was operating the car in manual mode at the time of the accident.

Read Moar Here.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
I just don't understand FireCat.
Can we all donate money to *somewhere* and have him sent for a free MRI scan?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.