Sci/Tech [VIDEO] Little Sand Flea Robot Makes Prodigious Leaps

Furby

Current occupation: News poster
Reaction score

This little robot may not look like much, but its standing jump two stories high is one of the most incredible robotic feats I have ever seen. Boston Dynamics, creator of the BigDog, Petman and other awesome military robots, is sending it off for testing by the Army. Click past the jump to see video of it in action.

This bot is called Sand Flea, and it’s a descendant of the Precision Urban Hopper, which as we saw back in 2009 could loft over a high fence with ease. That robot jumped while rolling forward, but the newest incarnation of Sand Flea stops, rears up and vaults 30 feet into the air. Otherwise it drives around like a remote-controlled car and can access almost any type of terrain, as you can see.

Last edited by a moderator:

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
It's cool. FireCat, why would you say it's fake? Looking at BostonDynamics, they make a lot of robots. This one is fairly simple compared to the other ones that you might call fake. The video is clearly edited and cut so that it's not one shot, but that doesn't mean it's fake.

NoobImbaPro

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I love it.

@FireCat
Stop it. If you don't like it, just post one comment.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
I didn't said I don't like it. But it still kind of looks fake.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Regardless of the cuts, almost everyone of them occurs prior to the robot's actual jumping. I dunno, it doesn't seem like too impossibly feasible of an idea for it to be worth being fake. If they were gonna make it fake, they should've given it some cool jetpacks or made it jump over 100 feet or some shit. Just doesn't seem like it'd be worth going through the trouble of.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
After the flying wings thing I am skeptical as ever but not as excited about this one.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.