World Vietnam: The State of Computer Science, and how half of a class can pass Google interviews.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
During my recent trip to Vietnam I took the opportunity to visit some schools and see how computer science was taught there. Officially, foreigners require permission from the department of education to enter schools. But it's much simpler (and the results are more representative) to simply show up unannounced. A business card from Google doesn't hurt either.

Computer classes start in grade 2. They begin with the basics -- which of course includes how to take care of your 5.25" floppy disks.

By grade 3 they are learning to how to use Microsoft Windows. Vietnam is a 100% Windows XP monoculture. Probably all with the same serial number. However, given that a copy of Windows costs one month's salary, it's easy to understand.

Touch-typing is taught using Microsoft Word. As with all their software, it is in English, which adds to the difficulty at that age.

By grade 4 they start programming in Logo. Starting with sequences of commands, then progressing to loops.

Read more here.

Interesting to see this is how people compete in CS, and infuriating that I couldn't do better.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
I wish I could have received an education like that. The speed they're moving at is several times what I experienced back in school, and I was barely present for a quarter of the classes.

P.S. Not really news, is it, since it was posted back in March?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
They just put different priorities on different classes. CS is pretty much ignored over here at school, only a small portion of students even takes that class since its optional.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.