Virtually decrease PC performances ?

Troll-Brain

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hi.

I have a quite good pc, totally overskilled for warcraft 3, which make me hard to test if something can be improved when i make a custom map.

Without change any thing in my pc, can i decrease temporally these performances in a some stable and accurate way ?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
you can underclock your cpu in the bios (even disable cores if you want) for a fixed number, and then set it back when your done

some computers (laptops mostly I think) also have the ability to limit the CPU usage to a certain %age (it helps /w batter life, you would find this in the power options panel)

a not-so-fixed way would be to simply use task manager and lower wc3's priority, and then run some other background programs

Troll-Brain

Reaction score
Thx.

a not-so-fixed way would be to simply use task manager and lower wc3's priority, and then run some other background programs
You mean it won't be stable or/and neither accurate ?

EDIT : Ok, i got it, because you need to run an other program, it won't be accurate, neither stable.

What about the graphic card ?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
EDIT : Ok, i got it, because you need to run an other program, it won't be accurate, neither stable.

What about the graphic card ?

wc3 really isn't graphics intensive, especially at lower settings (which would be safe to say that people with weaker computers are running at)

and everything mentioned is stable (i.e. wont crash on you) as long as your "background program" is also stable (an anti-virus scan may be a good one)

what I meant by inaccurate was that you cant compare your system to another, which you could with the first two methods (roughly)

Troll-Brain

Reaction score
what I meant by inaccurate was that you cant compare your system to another, which you could with the first two methods (roughly)
Hmm ok, i would go for the bios way so.
Thx for the help.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Safest way is to use a Virtual Machine.
Easiest too, but you'd have to install everything again.

Lyerae

Reaction score
A Virtual Machine uses the computers hardware to emulate another computer.
Using one, you can install and run several operating systems inside of the main one.

Here: http://www.virtualbox.org/
I use that one. I run DSL (Damn Small Linux), and Xubuntu using it.

It's much safer than playing with the bios.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
while running it in a virtual machine will definitely make it run slower, it's not really a fixed amount slower, and it's more complicated then just running a background program, so I don't see how it's better... as for safe, I don't see anything dangerous? under-clocking wont hurt anything...

Lyerae

Reaction score
Entering the BIOS itself it dangerous. It's really easy to screw something up.
Using a VM is a lot safer.

Troll-Brain

Reaction score
Well, i don't have the habit to go inside the bios but i won't be a dumb, if i have just a tiny doubt i won't do anything and ask more help before doing something.
It's more inaccurate so i won't use it. (talking about the VM)

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.