Virus?

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
I apologize for the generic thread title. Here's my problem:

I downloaded the Minecraft client to install the game. I then downloaded and installed Java to make sure I had the updated version. Afterwards, I restarted my computer.

When Windows loaded again, I got several alerts from Spybot about both ActiveX control and Browser Helper Control. I thought that was weird, so I restarted my computer again 2 more times. Each time, I continued getting the same alerts. The 4th time I restarted it, Windows gave me several different errors, one of them being TeaTimer.exe which refused to close. I knew TeaTimer.exe was from Spybot, but I had to force a restart.

When Windows loaded again for the 4th time, I tried using the System Restore, restoring it to the point before I reinstalled Java. Afterwards, when Windows reloaded again, I could no longer connect to the internet for the next half hour. My router worked just fine, but my computer did not recognize the wifi signal. Out of the blue, my computer just reconnected to the internet 10 minutes ago.

Now I'm wondering what the hell is going on. I've had zero problems with my computer up until I downloaded the Minecraft and Java files. I can't install Minecraft, it keeps giving me an error. Are these problems some kind of virus? Hopefully I've been as clear as possible. Any help is appreciated, as always.

Edit update: I've restarted my computer 2 more times, and everything seems to work correctly right now. I still can't install Minecraft though, which is what started this whole fiasco in the first place. If you have any thoughts about what happened and about why Minecraft won't work, please share.

Edit 2: After a ridiculous amount of troubleshooting and reinstalling, I figured out that although I am using 64-bit Windows 7, Minecraft does not recognize 64-bit Java, only 32-bit. After uninstalling 64-bit Java and reinstalling the 32-bit version, Minecraft works correctly now, but I am still getting a Spybot alert every time Windows loads. Wtf?

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
You should be able to get rid of the Spybot through safe mode and then using Malwarebytes. You probably got the virus by obtaining the Minecraft client illegally.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
I downloaded the Minecraft client from Minecraft.net. I bought the game a few months ago, and just wanted to download it onto my new computer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.