Vista : Directory

MasterOfABCs

Unacceptable!
Reaction score
How do I go about creating a directory and giving it full "read and write" privledges?

Thanks muchos.

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Right-click an empty space in the folder you want to put it in and choose New--> Folder

Once created, right-click and choose Properties and then go to the security tab. Add the users you want with the appropriate permissions.

This hasn't changed from previous versions so is there more to your question?

MasterOfABCs

Unacceptable!
Reaction score
Well, im sure if thier more to it,

but, this - I suppose - is more specific.

Error_loader_nocache - Unable to create cache directory.
Runescape was unable to find a suitable place to store its temporary files. To solve this please either:

Login to your computer as an 'administator' user, and then try loading RuneScape again. This should give it sufficient access to create its temporary cache.

Or, create a new directory called c:/rscache or /rscache. If possible, set that directory to have full read+write permissions so that all users can write to it. Runescape should then detect that directory and use it for its files.

If you are unable to do either of the above, then as a last resort you can tell RuneScape not to store any files on the harddisk. When entering the site and choosing between high-detail/low-detail also select 'Unsigned Applet Using Default Java' from the dropdown scroll at the bottom of the detail select page. You will need to do this everytime you load the game. The disadvantage of this is the game will load slower, so if possible use one of the top two solutions instead.

If problems persist then please refer to our technical FAQ which can be found in the FAQ section of our website.

I'm an admin, so I don't understand why I have this issue in the first place.

Rad

Reaction score
Or, create a new directory called c:/rscache or /rscache. If possible, set that directory to have full read+write permissions .

That should give you all the information you need. Just go to drive C, look for the folder "rscache", if it isn't there create it, then do the steps given by rapmaster above.

You used to be able to choose the applet which runescape used which is what the final paragraph is talking about. It looks like it's been replaced with "Safe Mode". If you can't get it to work, try enabling safe mode. I doubt you're alone with this problem though. File access on Vista can be annoying. Although I don't think you need to run runescape as an administrator...

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it working. In Vista you can also try right-clicking on the shortcut to the program and "Run As Administrator" to work around most compatibility problems. Not the best from a security point of view but it tends to work for old games/apps.

(In Vista, with the User Access Control feature - on by default - even if you are logged on with an account that is a member of the Administrators group, your admin access is stripped except for operations that you explicitly elevate through one of those "A program wants access to your computer" prompts that the Mac commercials make fun of. Really they aren't so bad once you get through your initial computer setup unless you have a lot of old apps.... Being a member of Administrators just means you can do these elevations without typing another password. A bit off-topic.)

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
totally off topic

but when you install a new game under vista always use : Run As Administrator this also applies to launching the game you just installed

sometimes registry settings need tobe applied ..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.